ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Brakes on 172 - not as sharp

172 clio
I had new brake pads put on the front about a year ago and ever since then they have never felt anywhere near as sharp as when I first had the car.

I don't drive it to its limit but there have been times when I have been only driving for 5-10 mins or so and I am experiencing brake fade. I know the pads ok, but I am just thinking should I look to upgrade the pads or change the brake fluid? I don't need anything special, but I would like something that when I put my foot down the car stopped without me having to really slam my foot down.

Any advice?

lousyd said:
I had new brake pads put on the front about a year ago and ever since then they have never felt anywhere near as sharp as when I first had the car.

I don't drive it to its limit but there have been times when I have been only driving for 5-10 mins or so and I am experiencing brake fade. I know the pads ok, but I am just thinking should I look to upgrade the pads or change the brake fluid? I don't need anything special, but I would like something that when I put my foot down the car stopped without me having to really slam my foot down.

Any advice?

What pads did you put on? How worn are the disks? If your disks are fairly worn and have ridges in them then there wont be much friction area on the new pads. Also if you didnt bed your pads in properly then they could be scrap.

Clart

ClioSport Club Member
sounds like the problem i have. I'm having new discs and pads all round with braided lines + brakes bled, calipers cleaned/greased up.

If that don't do the trick I dunno what will

172 clio
Car is 3 years old, new pads were just some std ones from ATS or something. I had a service back in September so fluid was changed then.

I never thought about the discs, I will check them later.

If you don't mind me asking how much roughly is costing you to change your discs and pads etc?

Megane225FF
"new pads were just some std ones from ATS " - there could be the problem..
Next thing is, did ATS bleed the brake's properly?

got my carback from renault today (been in to have new centre section on exhaust) and my brakes seem very s**t! :S

again.. discs and pads only a 2 month old..

i very much doubt they would have changed brake fluid on a service.

get Renault pads, they're suprisingly good. Bleed the whole system with a synthetic fluid and you'll be sorted. Its suprising how new fluid makes such a big difference :)

looking at around £150 for front discs/pads. I would stay with Gen Renault ones tbh, they're very good and last well.

172 clio
Checked my discs and they are fine, no scoring. The ATS fited ones have done nothing but squeek since the day I had them.

I think I will speak to Renault about a fluid drain, do they just have std fluid or can I request a better quality one?

I must admit my local dealer doesn't fill me with confidence as they have buggered up my car more times than I care to imagine.

lousyd said:
I think I will speak to Renault about a fluid drain, do they just have std fluid or can I request a better quality one?
You can ask for them to stick your onw fluid in its not difficult to do it yourself though.
Stock stuff not to bad but you can get a lot better stuff. After all the Renault stuff isn't designed to a stunning spec juts a price more although its better than the cheap stuff realy.

Neil G said:
Renault reccomend brake fluid change at 24k/4yrs along with the coolant.
They say ever 5yrs/72k whichever is earlier.
I have to bleed mine ever 6 month to a year depends how many track days I do.