ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Brakes queries

DCi 100
Being my first car, I'm not too sure on the symtoms for my brakes being fubar'd.

I know I need either the N/S rear or both wheel bearings doing, but it seems my brakes may need TLC aswell.

Far as I can tell the pads at the front are fine, I can feel they have a good chunk with getting my finger round the other side of the pad to feel the depth of the block.

Thing is, I've noticed my discs seem to now have a 2/3mm lip on the edge now, and seem to be turning mucky/rusty gingery shade slightly from the perfect alloy look. The fronts have squeeled since they were new (when I got the car), but over time I've combatted the noise by hosing the brakes often (maybe the cause to the disc colour?) to get all the dust etc out. They seem to not make a noise when warm etc aswell.

The rear drums squeel often aswell, but only just encountered this problem past few weeks.

Anyone have any tips/info on how I can make sure? I haven't noticed any reduction in braking really, but I haven't really slowed down quickly recently either.

Cheers.

Tunst

ClioSport Club Member
  Focus ST225, Focus E
Being my first car, I'm not too sure on the symtoms for my brakes being fubar'd.

I know I need either the N/S rear or both wheel bearings doing, but it seems my brakes may need TLC aswell.

Far as I can tell the pads at the front are fine, I can feel they have a good chunk with getting my finger round the other side of the pad to feel the depth of the block.

Thing is, I've noticed my discs seem to now have a 2/3mm lip on the edge now, and seem to be turning mucky/rusty gingery shade slightly from the perfect alloy look. The fronts have squeeled since they were new (when I got the car), but over time I've combatted the noise by hosing the brakes often (maybe the cause to the disc colour?) to get all the dust etc out. They seem to not make a noise when warm etc aswell.

The rear drums squeel often aswell, but only just encountered this problem past few weeks.

Anyone have any tips/info on how I can make sure? I haven't noticed any reduction in braking really, but I haven't really slowed down quickly recently either.

Cheers.

The lip is common it happens over time, i change my discs when this happens but thats just me, most people just leave it. Also the colour are they like that over time or just when its been standing over night?

The squeeling drums... They are probably have a bit of brake dust in them, mine squeel when they have dust in, i just wip the drum off clean out the dust rough the shoe up with some emory cloth and put back together and they are fine after that...

DCi 100
disk brakes need using hard. if you drive like a ***** they wear quicker.

I only take it for a hard drive every now and then, rarely do I get into the position of braking hard.

Not really noticed about when the colouring is, will change the discs in the near future I reckon.

Cheers.