ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Brakes

BG 182 FF
The brakes on my 182 seem to be for no better word, GASH!

In fairness i've jumped out of a VW R32 with huge 334mm stoppers on the front, but a good amount of weight to slow down still and that could stop from 60 quicker than it could get there (or so it felt). But there just doesn't seem to be too much bite when braking late with my current set up on the clio. The pedal doesn't seem light or spongy or any of the like, it feels as though the braking surfaces needs near fast road heat already running through it to be really effective and give a decent stopping force.
(nothing to do with tyres as i'm running PS3s all round 34/31PSI F-R)

What options do I have, what can I do to get sharper more aggressive brakes/braking on this car? Any advice is more than welcome.

You'll also have to forgive me, coming from a MK4 golf where I know the ins and outs of and have driven for 5+ years and now asking what may seem daft questions as i've got into something completely brand new and unexplored.

E46 M3, Clio 182
A brake refresh should be more than sufficient. I (and many others here) would probably advise brembo high carbon (HC) discs, ferrodo DS2500 or similar pads with some fresh fluid and possibly braided lines. Road Track Race Parts on here will be able to supply all of the above at a good price.

If you're wanting to spend a little more, you can retro fit the Clio 197/200 or Megane 225 Brembo 4-pot callipers onto the 182's and run either the standard 280mm disc or a 300mm discs, but would advise again the HC discs and DS2500 pads with new fluid :up:

PH2 172
The brakes on my 182 seem to be for no better word, GASH!

There just doesn't seem to be too much bite when braking late with my current set up on the clio. The pedal doesn't seem light or spongy or any of the like, it feels as though the braking surfaces needs near fast road heat already running through it to be really effective and give a decent stopping force.

What options do I have, what can I do to get sharper more aggressive brakes/braking on this car? Any advice is more than welcome.

Remove the DS2500`s or whatever track orientated pads that have been fitted, and replace with standard Brembo items.
FRONT PAD NUMBERS 2015-09-17 15.55.00.jpg

I'd say lower the tyre pressures first off, should be around 30/30 with PS3s, you only need higher pressures with soft side wall tyres like Rainsports. Maybe just get a set of Mintex M1144 pads coupled to Brembo HC discs if only used on the road, also new fluid, braided lines and maybe a caliper rebuild to get them back to optimum clamping.

What pads and discs are you running now?

JamesBryan

ClioSport Club Member
I'd say lower the tyre pressures first off, should be around 30/30 with PS3s, you only need higher pressures with soft side wall tyres like Rainsports. Maybe just get a set of Mintex M1144 pads coupled to Brembo HC discs if only used on the road, also new fluid, braided lines and maybe a caliper rebuild to get them back to optimum clamping.

Standard pressures are 33/30 :wink:

I've got a set of standard Pagid pads from Euro Car Parts for the road and they're decent enough.

George@RTR_Parts

ClioSport Trader
  need BRAKES? PM me
Depends what you're going to using your car for @French Convert , and what brakes you currently have on it

Check your brakes are working as they should be, with no binding calipers etc if not already done so

If you're needing/wanting to replace them I can help with various discs/pads/ braided lines and fluid to get them up to speed. Brembo HC discs, Brembo oe, Mintex M1144, Ferodo Racing range to name a few . Send me a PM if want any help mate :up:

RichValver

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 16v/172 daily

I love the disc and pad setup above, brakes are better than my old 225 trophy's were with these, braided lines and fresh fluid :)

Standard pressures are 33/30 :wink:

I've got a set of standard Pagid pads from Euro Car Parts for the road and they're decent enough.
I stand corrected. I always have mine at 30/30 hot pressures and find anything higher the car squirms about a lot, this is on track and using 15"s mind.

JamesBryan

ClioSport Club Member
I stand corrected. I always have mine at 30/30 hot pressures and find anything higher the car squirms about a lot, this is on track and using 15"s mind.

Yeah that's cold road pressures i was quoting.

I try to run my AD08's around that at their hot pressure though on track.

Yokohama and Toyo both say around 28-34psi hot for a ~1000kg car.

BG 182 FF
@George@RTR_Parts

George is a trader on here mate. Will help with you need :smile:

Welcome btw. Any pics of the golf?
Unphased side .jpg

There was my R32. When I first bought it and decided to show it at the Unphased show in Preston. Loved the car, didn't love the expense of absolutely everything.

If im being honest chaps, I had to fit new discs and pads to the rear as I just bought the car 10 days ago as the discs had fractured. the rear callipers were looked at and all seemed fine. Not had chance to look at the fronts but will do tomorrow and see whats occurring on that front. I am currently considering the 4 pot 197/200 4 pot upgrade as I will be looking to track it in the near future. or is it just more weight to be added to the car unnecessarily?

Clio F1 197 Cup
Yep. Or pagid pads from Ecp.
Cheers, guess I just need to decide if I was to future proof myself in case I decide to go out on track. I've always like the idea of having good brakes and as such have braided lines and run good fluid. I should probably go for a good pad as well. Decissions decisions!!

imprezaworks

ClioSport Club Member
  Mk5 Golf GTI :)
Buy road pads £20, for the road
Buy track pads 'if' you decide to do trackdays.

If you were to get one set of pads just because. I would probably go for rc5 pads.

Or if you haven't done a day before use the pagid pads and see how you get on. Unless hero on your first day you won't be breaking any circuit records.

:)

PH2 172
What's your thinking of fitting OEM Brembos? If the car is going to see track work it will want better heat resistance?

Tongue in cheek comment here.

As I get round the corners fast, I don`t need to scrub that much speed off.

There is an art to curing them (as in heat ),which you probably will not achieve with normal road use , but once done they outperform the grip the 595R`s I have used can provide.

At £22.00,have some as a reference point set & then work out how much better anything else you want to try is.

And they will be there if you have not touched the brakes for 20 miles on a motorway.

Clio F1 197 Cup
Buy road pads £20, for the road
Buy track pads 'if' you decide to do trackdays.

If you were to get one set of pads just because. I would probably go for rc5 pads.

Or if you haven't done a day before use the pagid pads and see how you get on. Unless hero on your first day you won't be breaking any circuit records.

:smile:
You make a very sensible point!! If I do eventually decide to venture out on pad will very much be taking it easy haha! Looks like its brembo pads for now and a lot more cash in my back pocket for suspension parts!

imprezaworks

ClioSport Club Member
Track pads work with heat. If you get track pads to work as they should on the road, pre warn people lol.

Road pads offer a better cold bite. For reference I did two track days on pagid pads before I sold the car and didn't die once. Ignore the scrapping, bumper bracket lol

K_McDermott

ClioSport Club Member
  Megane 230 r26
Track pads work with heat. If you get track pads to work as they should on the road, pre warn people lol.

Road pads offer a better cold bite. For reference I did two track days on pagid pads before I sold the car and didn't die once. Ignore the scrapping, bumper bracket lol

Fairly tramping on on that, seems to stop well enough [emoji108]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Clio F1 197 Cup

Loving that bumper scraping haha. You look to be carrying serious speed round there, certainly more than I would be feel confident carrying, epic driving. Certainly seems to stop well too. I think Steve M said it well, start off with Brembos to get a base line and go from there. With good fluid and braided lines hopefully will give me a slightly upgrade over standard anyway.

imprezaworks

ClioSport Club Member
I'm far from quick mate. It's all about fun, which trackdays are.

Yeah do what you have just said and see how it pans out. All a learning curve :)

SWL16

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 182
As a novice, I run my car as a daily and track it. I have done a number of track days on the same set of Brembo pads plus plenty of road mileage. They're fine for it.

I now run Ds2500s, the main difference? I don't get any fade in the brakes during my sessions, the 'wear limit' is now the tyres (Ps3s). Means I can stay out longer, say 30mins rather than 20mins sessions. I think they also wear less in general on track. Great. But they cost 3x as much, squeak on the road occasionally and the first few brakes have less bite than normal (perfectly safe).

I imagine that's going to be the trade offs for most track pads.

Last edited: