ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Braking pulls to rights and locks easily *help*

2002 Clio 1.5 DCi
Braking pulling car to right & locking easily

As title suggests when I break the car pulls to the right, this seems to only happen at higher speeds (above 40)

when coming to a stop from speed and I drive over a small bump the brakes tend to lock up easily, this is causing stopping distance to increase greatly

Its starting to become dangerous as any breaking on motorway (my main form of driving) takes me to right hand side and the car sinks down at the front under breaking. when I'm coming closer to the car infront and realise my stopping distance isn't good I've to stomp abit harder and with one wheel at front only seeming to be breaking it locks up under pressure.

Can be a scary thing since it has been raining a lot and the roads are damp as the locking cause the car to almost go faster....

Anyone come a cross this before? Do I just simply need new breaks? The wee dci has just bit 90k so should I replace the discs at the same time

Last edited:

sbridgey

ClioSport Club Member
  disco 4, 182, Meglio
i'd change the discs and pads first yeah, pm G 172 for some epic deals on brakes.

you can go from there if that doesnt work, possibly a stuck caliper maybe?

Pauleds

ClioSport Club Member
  Merc Dueliner sport
Mine did it and after much checking is was the stupid rear compensator.
It meant more pressure coming to the one front wheel and llocking up.
Binned it and fitted a bios valve and problem solved.

2002 Clio 1.5 DCi
I read in another forum that u can check the back breaks by pulling the handbrake up while driving and u will feed any strange pulsing etc

the front left brake has been squealing a bit this past while when I think about it, this is not even when I touch the brake pedal so possibly if it has been stuck on slightly it has worn itself down a good bit hence the front left really only breaking now?

i measured the discs there and they are 7mm thick on both sides!!! I think the thickness is required to be at least 10mm so definetly think these will be replaced.

anyone know if it's worth doing myself or should I save time and just drop it in to the garage to do it?

George@RTR_Parts

ClioSport Trader
  need BRAKES? PM me
Ta Si!

OP sounds like a sticky/binding front caliper. After a drive can you "feel" (note NOT touch) more heat coming off one disc to the other side

Replacing discs and pads will be needed, but you want to get the calipers working as they should be first/at same time

A strip down/clean/grease of caliper should hopefully sort it for you mate

2002 Clio 1.5 DCi
Yeah that's good, doesn't sound like a huge job really. Will try the handbrake while driving to ensure all is right anyway.

G 172, could you give me a price on discs and pads then? 2002 dci 65bhp

2002 Clio 1.5 DCi
PM me your reg plate and post code please mate

Will be Brembo discs/pads

ps pay your membership ;)

thanks, pm you there with details

just had a good 70 mile drive there and can confirm rear brakes are fine

the pulling problem with front seems to only be happening once the brakes heat up a bit?? would assume the front left is heating up and then sticking causing it to not come in contact correctly

2002 Clio 1.5 DCi
Hi guys,

took car down to tyre garage today to get wheels aligned, ,mentioned about this problem. Good guys, took wheel off, noticed the left front calliper has some play in it. Can be jiggled about from side to side.

he took the calliper off for me, tested it and says it definitely isn't sticky and it's working correctly also pads and discs are fine

He greased it all up and sent me on my way so I'm still no further :(