ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Brand New Imported Mk2 172, warranty

Turbo'd MX-5 MK4

i know this has been asked before, but can someone PLEASE clearly state what i need to do?

I asked the sales guy at Motorpoint what warranty i would get and he said about 12 months, then another guy said 23/24 months when i picked the car up, so clearly they have no idea what it is. Ive been told there is a new EU law to state that all new cars from within the EU must have full warranty, i have told this more than once to both Motorpoint and Renault and everytime they have denied any knowledge of this (which really p*sses me off by the way). Ive been told to send some docs to renault to get it sorted out, which renault address? and what documents? cos if the dealerships dont have any knowledge of this then surely it is a waste of time sending anything to them, also i have to wait for the V5 (Registration Document for the car yet) so they need a copy of this i will have to wait surely?

HELP! Please!

Much appreciated,

Gaz 2130

You need to send the following:

A copy of the invoice for your car confirming date of sale
A copy of the pages from your service book, showing dealer stamp and chassis number
A copy of the UK registration document (V5) for the vehicle
A copy of a utility bill confirming your address details.

to the following address:

Renault Customer Services
The Rivers Office Park
Denham Way
Maple Cross
Rickmansworth
Hertfordshire
WD3 9YS

...and they should get back to you in about 8 weeks or so confirming that you have a full 3 year warranty. Obviously if you havent got your V5 yet youll have to wait, but dont worry as I was told theres no rush as your car has a two year warranty anyway.

I was under the impression the 3 year warrant consisted of two elements.

1.) 12 months manufacturers warranty (international)

2.) 24 months dealer warranty (uk only)

Renaultsport Clio 200 Cup

12 months on imports is b****cks...

You get a full 3 year Renault warranty. Got mine from Jeffries Farm and theyve got a letter framed on the wall stating that all new cars supplied from 2000 will be covered by the full 3 year warranty.

Ill still be following hypes advice anyway... once my V45 comes through!

BigBash, it is exactly what you said

1yr Renault Mfrs Warranty

and 2yr (Extended) Renault UK Dealers Warranty - but only with a FSH from a Renault Dealer

Turbo'd MX-5 MK4

so i need to wait for my V5 Document first then (anything up to 5 weeks), ive seenmy chasis number on the servicing/warranty book (on the back page), but i dont recall seeing a dealer stamp anywhere, where in/on the book should it be?

Its a crafty way of putting off would be importers, all the manufacturers do it.

Im pretty sure if you ask your local dealer to extend your warranty to 3 years theyll do it, especially (as bambam said) you have to get it serviced through them to keep the warranty valid. Itll probably not cost you too much as its actually a great way of them making even more money off you .:mad:

Nope, all youve got to prove (if you need a warranty claim) is when the car was first registered, thats it. I had a warranty claim on my 172 (2002) and the dealer just wanted my V5 to confirm when it was registered, nothing else.

Quote: Originally posted by Gaz2130 on 05 December 2002
so i need to wait for my V5 Document first then (anything up to 5 weeks), ive seenmy chasis number on the servicing/warranty book (on the back page), but i dont recall seeing a dealer stamp anywhere, where in/on the book should it be?

Mines on page 7 of the GB section in my service book - on a page called Service Coupon

Turbo'd MX-5 MK4

ok looks like some renault muppet (surprise, surprise) has forgotten to stamp my service book as there is no dealer stamp anywhere, what happens now??

Gaz - its not renault that stamp it. Its the dealer that sold it to you. So its some Motorpoint muppet ;)

I remembered reading a thread on here about the stamping so I phoned my supplier before delivery and reminded them to stamp it which they did. But they didnt fill any of the info in - then again I can do that.

Perhaps you can take it to Motorpoint for stamping if they are near to you?

Oh, and I didnt need a dealer stamp. I photocopied the cover of the service book, which had a sticker with the vehicles VIN number on it.

Give Renault 6 weeks or so to confirm that the 3 year warranty is in force. You wont get the breakdown cover which comes with a UK car though.

From Nov3 2002 Sunday Times Motoring supplement problem page

Quote: All cars built before this year and sold within the European Union come with a one-year factory warranty. From the beginning of this year, all cars must come with a two-year factory warranty. Some manufacturers also choose to offer longer periods of cover; sometimes this is a factory warranty but often it is a local dealer warranty. Under European law, all [VW] dealers have to honour the factory warranties but are under no compulsion to honour dealer warranties. You should therefore check which type of warranty you have, if your car is more than one-year old. If the dealer refuses to carry out the work, ask the service manager to confirm in writing that the warranty will not be honoured. You should find that this leads to a rapid change of heart. If not, try contacting the Office of Fair Trading on 08457 224 499. EndQuote

BatesyBoy. Jefferies gave me a copy of that letter to keep. I also phoned Renault who confirmed the 3 year warranty in the ratio stated by Big Bash, and amended my details/car details on their computer.

The info above may sound a little contradictory - but at the end of the day you should have a minimum of 2 years warranty on a 2002 car.

Quote: Originally posted by Jeremy Townsend on 06 December 2002

The warranty applies to EU vehicles only, not those originally supplied outside the EU - Cyprus fro example
Mine is from Cyprus and Ive been told that it still gets the 3 year warranty

Mr Townsend, at the risk of starting an "ask Jeremy" thread.. my clutch is playing up a little - but only a little so far so Im keeping an eye on it for now. My car is 13 months old and has done 20K miles (UK car from a Renault Leics). Are parts and Labour covered if it needs work/replacing?

KDF

Audi TT Stronic

For your information this is the reply from Renault UK to my own e-mail enquiry.

------------------------------------------------

Dear Mr McEwan

Thank you for your recent email.

I can advise you that vehicles that are purchased in 2002 onwards from
outside the UK dealership network ie an imported vehicle from within the EU
are eligible for a two year unlimited mileage warranty.

This is automatic and no documents need to be sent to Renault UK to
register this.

I hope this information is of assistance to you and should you have any
further enquiries please do not hesitate to contact us. The telephone
number of Renault Customer Services is 0800 072 33 72.

Regards

Anna Hurley
Renault Customer Services

-------------------------------------------------

KDF

Audi TT Stronic

My original e-mail to them

--------------------------------------------------

Dear Sir/Madam,

I have recently been informed that European law now states that any
imported
car (from within the EU) sold from 2002 onward is now eligible for a 2 year
unlimited warranty.

What documents do I need to send to yourself to confirm this 2 year
warranty
is in place for my car ?

I am currently waiting for the V5 document to be returned to me from DVLA
as
I am the new owner of a Renault Clio Sport 172.

I have all the documentation for the car including the service book with
the
VIN on the back cover. As I am not the original owner who purchased the car
from new I do not have the original invoice. The car is however a 2002
facelift (mark 2) model Clio and was registered on 06/02/02.

Thank you for you help in this matter and I await your reply.

---------------------------------------------------

_KDF, shouldnt that mean you can get your 3yr extended warranty to start from 2004, instead of 2003. Would give you a full 5 years of warranty then :D

Silver Fabia vRS

Also for anyone that has done this did they get the original Invoice returned to them? I want that for my records so that when I come to sell the car I can give it to the new owner. If not Ill enclose a SAE for them to send it back in.

Quote: Originally posted by geoff_clio172 on 06 December 2002
Also for anyone that has done this did they get the original Invoice returned to them? I want that for my records so that when I come to sell the car I can give it to the new owner. If not Ill enclose a SAE for them to send it back in.

Dont send them any originals - the chances are theyll lose them or take forever to send them back. I sent photocopies and they were just fine.

KDF

Audi TT Stronic

Quote: Originally posted by Big Bash on 06 December 2002
_KDF, shouldnt that mean you can get your 3yr extended warranty to start from 2004, instead of 2003. Would give you a full 5 years of warranty then :D

I will certainly try ;)

Scirocco GT TSi DSG

I sent original bill of sale as they told me I had too and did not accept photocopies,(renault lieing to me? Probably) got a photocopy back, no sign of original bill. Otherwise got full Three years warranty within 12 weeks of owning the car.

I informed Motorpoint in June that imported Renualts came with a three year warranty they denied this until I sent proof, then they said they would update their records. Looks like they are still pushing their own extended warranty.