ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Brand new R27...blew up

RB R27
Just bought my long awaited R27 yesterday. Absolutely loved it, I have been waiting for it for awhile now. Drove down the road from the garage I bought it from and everything was fine. Later on I went to Stirling with my mate who got a brand new Fiesta ST on Wednesday so he was just breaking the engine in. We were going along the road at 60 and I was in 5th gear behind him then all of a sudden the car died...smoke and oil everywhere. I had to pull into a housing estate and call Renault to send the AA. The car got towed to a Renault Garage. I got phone call this morning and the guy said "It's terminal, theres a massive hole in the back of the engine block"

The car was 2nd hand, I bought it for 11k with just under 6500 miles on the clock. Its less than a year old.

I'm kinda gutted just now lol.

Here's a nice pic of the car and my mates new ST about 30 mins before it blew...

DSC00252.jpg

Oh, Hi btw since this is my first post lol

RB R27
Well...so far lol.

When I took it too them they were instantly talking about how it might not be covered by warranty if its not an engine problem. Kinda looks like it now lol

Clio 200
end of the day mate if Renault cant get out of it, sales and supply of goods act breach of section 13, make sure you push it all the way and get what you want fixed

What a bugger.

Should be covered by warranty, a hole in the block in a car that age either means manufacturer fault, or a r****d owned it before.

www.renparts.co.uk
almost definitely a manufacturing defect, fractured rod or something. As said its bad customer relations warning you what might not be covered, they should be bending over backwards really.

RB R27
its just rather annoying that it happened the day I got it. I suppose if it was going to happen then the first day was the best day for it to happen lol. Makes me wonder what the previous owner did with it....the 2nd hand dealer assured me it was well looked after. He says that if Renault won't repair it, which they should, then he will do it. But me thinkss it'll be a new engine block for me lol

RS6+ & 40d MSport X5
shame that mate.. welcome anyway good bunch of scottish lads on here!!

If Renault try to play funny buggers use the trading standards line!!

Gaz

BG 182 FF
Re: Brand new R27...blew up
almost definitely a manufacturing defect, fractured rod or something. As said its bad customer relations warning you what might not be covered, they should be bending over backwards really.

should be bent over that badly they should be able to sniff there own bum hole

RB R27
I know its not 'brand new' since its less than a year old...but still, its as good as new basically, it should never have happened. Its designed to goround tracks so when its doing 60 in 5th I would expect it to be fine. Its still new to me tho lol

RS6+ & 40d MSport X5
its probably had a rough life tbh mate.. ie, not been run in correctly etc!!

U should be ok but never admit liability or anything else down that road..

BTW where did u buy the car????

www.renparts.co.uk
when its under a 3 year warranty its pretty shameful that defects like that are happening to be honest, quality control problems do happen but honda don't seem to have a problem.

great car, hope it works out well, should have bought a 182 lol, only kidding, take renault to the cleaners f**king robbing c***s

RB R27
its probably had a rough life tbh mate.. ie, not been run in correctly etc!!

U should be ok but never admit liability or anything else down that road..

BTW where did u buy the car????

A little garage called Sandeman' Cars in Forfar, just north of Dundee.

RB R27
Nah not yet, I was gonna phone the day but since it's sunday they won't be there. I'll phone them tomorrow and see what going on.

RB R27
No courtesy car either, dunno if i'll get one. I don't need one just now since I am going back to work offshore on Wednesday but it would be nice to have one anyway. As i said i'll give em a phone tomorrow once they are there and see what the story is.

clio 197 cup
this is the first example of terminal engine failure on one of these engines that i have heard of.they are normally pretty bombproof.
im pretty sure it is component related,and will be covered under warranty.

RB R27
It was due a service and the guy i bought it from said that he wouldn't service it since he thought a car like that should be done from renault. And i was gonna take it into the garage anyway since the car was tracking really badly to the left when i was coming down the motorway. shows that it probably has been ragged from day one and the engine was gonna break anyway. And it had been sitting in his forecourt for a few weeks now and not been checked over i think.

www.renparts.co.uk
its probably totally unrelated, even if it hadn't been ragged from day 1, when engines are tested its extremely severe testing and there is clearly a manufacturing defect, it would have reared its head some time soon,

Darren S

ClioSport Club Member
I'm sure Renault 'have to' do something about that. It's clearly had something seriously wrong with it to go at such a low mileage.

Your m8's ST looks smart, btw!

D.

RB R27
yeah its really nice, he had a bright green Zetec S before that witch a checkered roof lol. I liked it, but the new ST 500 is pretty swish. Although its really small compared to the 197. I didn't realize how big it was lol!

RB R27
Well, Renault have decided that a hole in the block counts as an engine fault and that they will buy a new engine under warranty for me. They said that they have to back order the engine so it won't be here until next week. Since i'm going offshore on thursday i guess i will have a new car (basically) when I get back

Gaz_

ClioSport Club Member
  Extreme mode
Excellent news, much better than getting the engine repaired imo, some are never right again

RenaultSport Megane R26.R
Glad it's all worked out well for you mate, but such a shame it had to happen, especially so soon after getting it.

All will work out well in the end. :)

BMW E46 330i Touring
Good news mate, worth making sure they document 'everything', as if they don't replace the speedo then obviously this will be out, or if they do replace the speedo, then the car itself will have covered more miles than the speedo says...

A relatively small detail, but without good Renault documentation, could knock thousands off the resale value, putting off cautious buyers.