ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Break pads

Hi all,

Hope everyone is good. I have done 12k in my clio dci 1.5. Its first service isnt due until 18k.

I am worried that the pads will be gone long before that. I would rather spend a few ££ just now and get them replaced rather than having to but new discs as well when its too late.

Does anyone know how long these pads are expected to last/how long the actualy last?

How much should I be paying for a new set of pads?

Where shoudl I get this done?

Finally should I get an oil change while I am at it?

Cheers all D

I did over 20k on my brake pads on my 1.2

It depends how hard you brake i suppose, as when i had my service ar 19k my front pads were worn 55% and the rears 50%

I only replaced them a few weeks ago, as i noticed the pedal seemed to travel further for them to be sharp.

So i went to halfords and got some new pads for about £12, got my brother to fit them, and they are good as new. The discs were fine.

I wouldnt worry about the oil, unless you want to do it yourself. I would do the brakes yourself too, as it will save you lots of cash!

cheers Guilbert.

badinvincible - Would I get away with saying it was actually a clever deliberate mistake. As I want to change them before the break?? ;)

RenaultSport Clio 172 Mk2

Buy some decent Tarox pads for about £45 per pair and fit them yourself using the guide at the top of the exterior/mechanical forum.

Its what I intend to do soon.

I fitted some new pads to my 172 today using the guide from the Exterior & Mechanical section, which was a very helpful guide.

Changing the pads is extremely easy to do, although just for you to note that my 172 (which has seen a couple of track sessions) needed pads at 23k and my other halfs 1.2 pads are still ok on 28k. Check and have a look, but I think most of the time they last more than 18k with normal use.

I used Halfords pads (forgive me, I was desperate!) - they cost £23.

KDF

Audi TT Stronic

Its not hard to take a wheel off and have a look. If there aint much left replace em.. otherwise wait a bit longer ;)

changed mine last week 29000 on the clock from new, about 5mm left on the old pads.£32 from the dealer.

[Edited by steve.adi on 09 June 2005 at 8:01pm]

Just leave it till the 18k and get Renault to check I used to kill my dci all the time (65) and the first set lasted till 19k when they were complety worn (they were 80% down at 17k when it was serviced).

The second set lasted 16k before they were comply bare (Renault werent happy about giving me me car back saying they they were that bad).

This third set is about 2/3 worn after 8k however thats two track days and 7 laps of the ring so they have has some abuse.

Ive only ever used stock pads from Halfords as there cheap and Ive never had any problems.

The best way I found of tell when the brakes needed doing was down to the tyres I get though about 1.5 sets of fronts to ever one set of pads.

As for oil changes it depends if your keeping the car I wish Id done some more when I bought the car but mines survived on the same oil for 8k and done 2 track days and the ring. However I am changing it when i get a chance. Its £20 for the oil and 80p or so for the washer. Id personally use the oil Renault recomend for the dci.

Quote: Originally posted by disco on 17 June 2005

cheers edde nice one. Sorry for vbeing ignorant again what do u mean 80p for a washer?
D
As fred said when you take the sup plug out you need to replace the washer on it.

Although so long as you tighten it up I cannot see it leaking oil. My WIlliams didnt have a washer in it when I changed the oil just some plumbers tape an I cannot see that did anything.