ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

breaking in of new engine.

Whats peoples views on breaking in new engines, recently seen some posts saying you should drive hard from day one and your engine will be more powerful and last longer.
Broke the 172 in gently and it seemed okay, getting a 197 in sept and don’t know if I could rip the hole out of it straight away without feeling ill with worry im damaging it.
It would be great to hear the opinions from some of the techies on the forum.

Cheers for any input:)

DrR

ClioSport Club Member
  VW Golf GTD
If it's new, drive it how you like unless your going to keep it longer than 3 years.

182, SRT8, RS4, GT-R
I drove mine pretty hard tbh and it's done it no harm at all. Changed the oil at 1k and then every 6k, runs sweet as a nut.

When the engine is new in the first 25 mile get the revs up don't labour it and get some pressure on the rings.

Clio 197
When i get my new 197 in 8 days ill be driving it so easy for the first 300 - 400 miles until everything is worn in, when i hit 1000 miles ill change the oil and then as everyone else says, 6000 miles after that.

MRBILLYUK

ClioSport Club Member
  FF Jeden Osiem Dwa
I drove my 172 from new exactly how i drove it for the next 48,000 trouble free miles , hard . Personally i think i think new engines can be driven hard from day one , also did the same with my new 182 . Regular oils changes every 6k :)

Clio Dynamique 1.2 2005
lol the car on top gear got rallied around a track from mile 1, you no the one the celebs drive :)

i remeber being told by the sales guy at the stealers not to exceed 3k revs for the 1st 1500 miles :eek:

There good reason for that if an engine will fail they will earlyu on they don't want a big bill plus there no ppoint telling epopel to drive them quite hard they'll end up crashing and being to blame.

MRBILLYUK

ClioSport Club Member
  FF Jeden Osiem Dwa
When i had a my first test drive in a 172 at a dealership , the sales guy told me to drive it hard from day one , so i did ;)

DrR

ClioSport Club Member
  VW Golf GTD
F1 cars have new engines all the time, i imagine they get driven hard.

2005 Nissan Navara
When the engine is new in the first 25 mile get the revs up don't labour it and get some pressure on the rings.

you want to be doing exactly the OPPOSITE of that. You want to be giving the engine plenty of load (i.e. throttle), allowing the engine to pull from low engine speeds up to say 4500rpm, then let it over run.

The full throttle is giving max cyl pressure, and so forcing the rings into the bores, and the over run draws metalic debris from ring lands.

Change oil a couple of times using cheapo shizzle, and u'll be fine.

you want to be doing exactly the OPPOSITE of that. You want to be giving the engine plenty of load (i.e. throttle), allowing the engine to pull from low engine speeds up to say 4500rpm, then let it over run.

I was trying to suggest not labouring it like my parents do ie near stalling point.