ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Breaking my 172 Cup. Should I?

MarkCup

ClioSport Club Member
My dilemma...my Cup is not likely to ever pass another MOT as I've taken so much out of it, and it's a high miler, without a speedo that shows the true mileage (fitted a 182 box after the original broke at 107k).

It's been maintained regardless of cost all its life from brand spanking new and has only had one owner (me) and has been driven hard but sympathetically... I R not sure Mr Joe Public would appreciate all that so putting it up for sale is likely to realise next to nothing cash wise (unless an understanding club member wants to make me an offer?).

So, thoughts turn to breaking it...but I'm venturing into the unknown here.

Who's broken a car before? How much of a pain in the arse was it? Do you end up looking like a pikey with a shell sat outside your house for months on end?

What could I reasonably expect for all the major components on my Cup? Would I then just weight the shell/what's left in for scrap?

Partof the appeal to breaking it is that my Cup, my first ever ca with even the slightest hint of performance, would go to it's grave with me having only ever been it's owner driver.

Thoughts appreciated chaps?

Unleess you are happy with the hastle of trying to sell loads of bits people chnaging there mind bad payers etc might be worth sticking it up for sale as a track only type car.

Or ring some breakers see what they offer.

For the hastle and small extra money I'm not sure I'd bother.

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
I'm breaking one at the minute and have had nothing but complete messers.

I've sold most bits, but for every decent buyer there's been 3 complete fcukwits.

Don't bother mate. I won't be doing it again thats for sure.

People should stop breaking cups.

Sell it as a car, breaking it will take ages and you will be emptying your pm box daily due to time wasters.

If it works as a track car, sell it as a track car! You have obviously got it to the state it is with care and attention, Im sure you'l find someone who wants a trackday tool and can appreciate it. Don't break it!

MarkCup

ClioSport Club Member
Right, seems like breaking it is not an option.

Will wait for the weather to improve before marketing it as a full on track/potential race car.

What's up with it?

Absolutely fcuk all, the engine's just had belts done and idles smoothly and silently, battery is starting to struggle at start up but it sits in the freezing cold for 3 weeks at a time so I don't think it's doing too bad.

Why am I selling? When I had the Focus and the Ignis with the Cup as a second car, it used to get driven to work once a week minimum without fail, and everywhere I went at the weekend I took it, jumped in it at every opportunity.

Now I have the 200, the Cup doesn't get used at all other than to clear the rust from the brake discs. It's exciting to drive for sure, but the 200 is better at everything and is far more enjoyable to drive. Can't justify the £1,000 per annum it costs to keep the Cup sat outside any more so I'm looking for an out.

Chris205

ClioSport Club Member
  Many Things
Whats the spec of the cup mark?

It's worth knowing what the spec is to see what its worth in bits, if its got some nice goodies on it you're sure to make more money back off breaking it, then scrapping the shell.

If you've got a garage/storage facilities, I'd have yourself a weekend on it, rip it apart, take everything off it then send it away to be scrapped, that way you havent got the car sitting outside the house on axle stands while you take bits off here and there

Donny_Dog

ClioSport Club Member
  Jim's rejects
Right, seems like breaking it is not an option.

Will wait for the weather to improve before marketing it as a full on track/potential race car.

What's up with it?

Absolutely fcuk all, the engine's just had belts done and idles smoothly and silently, battery is starting to struggle at start up but it sits in the freezing cold for 3 weeks at a time so I don't think it's doing too bad.

Why am I selling? When I had the Focus and the Ignis with the Cup as a second car, it used to get driven to work once a week minimum without fail, and everywhere I went at the weekend I took it, jumped in it at every opportunity.

Now I have the 200, the Cup doesn't get used at all other than to clear the rust from the brake discs. It's exciting to drive for sure, but the 200 is better at everything and is far more enjoyable to drive. Can't justify the £1,000 per annum it costs to keep the Cup sat outside any more so I'm looking for an out.

Confused.

So your reason for breaking it is purely on the fact you were the first owner (and only owner) and you don't want anyone else to own it?

SRS?

Donny_Dog

ClioSport Club Member
  Jim's rejects
It's all about dealing with knobs,that's the worst bit.

Something like this?

"can you send pictures of that rear badge?"
<goes outside to take pics, copies to PC, sends to chap>
"thanks for the pic, I'll take that mate - defo, PM me your Paypal address"
<PM sent>
<fcuk all payment received in 2 years>
"sorry for the delay mate, my **** exploaded over the laptop and I had to buy a new one - no not a **** lolz, I'll still defo take it, payment sending NOW"
<fcuk all again>

Another thread created in two weeks - "look @ my new badge - I bought it off Ebay for 59p Euro look" Or some sh*t.

<fck sake>

Westy. MX5
Something like this?

"can you send pictures of that rear badge?"
<goes outside to take pics, copies to PC, sends to chap>
"thanks for the pic, I'll take that mate - defo, PM me your Paypal address"
<PM sent>
<fcuk all payment received in 2 years>
"sorry for the delay mate, my **** exploaded over the laptop and I had to buy a new one - no not a **** lolz, I'll still defo take it, payment sending NOW"
<fcuk all again>

Another thread created in two weeks - "look @ my new badge - I bought it off Ebay for 59p Euro look" Or some sh*t.

<fck sake>
Had a few plonkers over the years as well, last one when I sold my 172 Cup, Umpteen photos on the for sale ad. and someone asks me if the Turinis were standard, also can I take some more close up photos of the Turinins. Never heard anymore, not even a "sorry it's not for me"
Any thing you sell is still for sale until it's paid for or a decent deposit received.

Had a few plonkers over the years as well, last one when I sold my 172 Cup, Umpteen photos on the for sale ad. and someone asks me if the Turinis were standard, also can I take some more close up photos of the Turinins. Never heard anymore, not even a "sorry it's not for me"
Any thing you sell is still for sale until it's paid for or a decent deposit received.

On top of that I find a good non-refundable deposit normally separates the prats from the genuine people.

MarkCup

ClioSport Club Member
Confused.

So your reason for breaking it is purely on the fact you were the first owner (and only owner) and you don't want anyone else to own it?

SRS?

Not the primary reason but it's part of the appeal. The main reason was me thinking I'd get fcuk all selling it as a going concern because it is so compromised, therefore I might realise more cash from it if I broke it. Seems no matter how much extra cash I'd see it's not worth the hassle of dealing with complete fcukwits!

can you PM me the spec and how much you'd like for it? kinda fancy a track *****!

Whats the spec of the cup mark?

It's worth knowing what the spec is to see what its worth in bits, if its got some nice goodies on it you're sure to make more money back off breaking it, then scrapping the shell.

I've just been outside and taken a few pics...

100_9103.jpg100_9104.jpg100_9105.jpg100_9106.jpg100_9108.jpg100_9111.jpg100_9112.jpg100_9113.jpg100_9114.jpg100_9115.jpg100_9116.jpg100_9117.jpg

The specification is...

Interior;

Stripped to bare metal, including headlining, sun visors, door cards, inner boot panel, airbags removed (all removed parts are included and available to go back in except for the airbags & parcel shelf, both of which have been sold)...oh, and the headlining might be a bit creased, and the interior grab handles I think got destroyed when they were removed.

Cobra Imola 2 driver's seat on steel side mounts and a custom fixed sub-frame
TRS 3-point harness
Deep dish suede steering wheel on an OMP steering boss
Subscription free Mini Road Angel included as dashboard speedometer does not work (due to gearbox - see below)

Engine/Drivetrain;

Mileage approx. 125k
Gearbox from 30k mile 182 fitted at 107k
Camblet dephaser changed just over 1 year/3k miles ago
Serviced every 6k miles from new by Rentech (first couple of services were done at the Renault dealer Mike worked at before he went independent set Rentech up)...in fact since then Rentech are the ONLY people ever to have worked on this car.
Group N ECU (flattens the torque curve, gives 7,750 rpm limit)
V6 airbox with 120mm custom cold air feed
Power steering removed
Ktec stealth stainless steel exhaust with lifetime warranty
Comes with standard cat (currently fitted) and Yozzasport decat

Wheels/brakes/tyres/suspension;

3 sets of wheels
TSW 6 spokes (pictured) with 4x Toyo T1R 195/50/15
Oz F1s with 4x Toyo T1R 205/50/15
Dynamique 5 spokes x4 without tyres (one of which is almost painted black LOL)
Brembo HC front discs
EBC red stuff front pads (absolute total and utter crap!)
Braided lines all round
Eibach Sportline springs
Standard dampers

Exterior;

Skoda splitter
Yellow nipple ring
A few battle scars are evident from its occasional off road excursion, ahem.

That's it from memory, I'm sure there's more I've forgotten but that's the key points.

It's been on Surrey Rolling Road pretty much every year of its eight year life and has steadily gained power throughout its life. With the removal of the power steering, the last time it was there it ran a genuine 187 bhp.

The net weight saved by the items removed/replaced = a total of 117kgs, so from a starting point kerb weight of 1,021 kgs, it now stands at 904 kgs.

So that's 205 bhp per ton of fun :approve:

Thoughts on best way to advertise this to get best value?

I'm a bit confused really. That is a decent car that is worth selling for somebody else to enjoy, wouldn't be good to see it broken down and lost into other cars. Most decent people buying used cars can live with the fact that they are often not perfect and will need a few hundred thrown at it for things to run smoothly.

Surely if there's nothing majorly wrong with it, it's just a bit of a high miler, that is no reason just to give in and break. Put it up for sale to see if you can find a buyer - breaking will get you similar (very possibly better - if lucky) money but many hours more work and stress.

Mark the bigest problem to sell the car is the gearbox now working the speedo. Do you not have the old cup box which could be fixed and refitted? If so you could return the car to standard sell off the aftermarkets bits and your done. Get milage clocked up to say 130 so your being honest etc.

But for simplicity stick it up for sale as a track car you'll get some silly low offers but its easy

Mark needs to say what he ideally wants for it, I know like many others that i'm interested in it regardless of the clocks etc. The car would fit in nicely with the Failsport Fleet, and I have wanted another Cup since ive sold mine!

Clio RS 172 /Trafic
I would sell the car complete. My 172 is on 122,000 now and its got plenty of life left. I've done 14 track days in the last three and a half years and many long distance trips without any dramas. There's bound to be plenty of people wanting a track car. Your's fits the bill and has had all the prep work done. Don't break the car. The engine and gearbox will give thousands more miles yet if its properly maintained. I'm thinking of getting mine remapped eventhough its done so many miles. You have done all the important stuff like belts etc so I'm sure there's plenty of life left in the car. Sell it as it is and let someone else have some fun with it.

182cup & 172 racecar
The specification is...

Interior;

Stripped to bare metal, including headlining, sun visors, door cards, inner boot panel, airbags removed (all removed parts are included and available to go back in except for the airbags & parcel shelf, both of which have been sold)...oh, and the headlining might be a bit creased, and the interior grab handles I think got destroyed when they were removed.

Cobra Imola 2 driver's seat on steel side mounts and a custom fixed sub-frame
TRS 3-point harness
Deep dish suede steering wheel on an OMP steering boss
Subscription free Mini Road Angel included as dashboard speedometer does not work (due to gearbox - see below)

Engine/Drivetrain;

Mileage approx. 125k
Gearbox from 30k mile 182 fitted at 107k
Camblet dephaser changed just over 1 year/3k miles ago
Serviced every 6k miles from new by Rentech (first couple of services were done at the Renault dealer Mike worked at before he went independent set Rentech up)...in fact since then Rentech are the ONLY people ever to have worked on this car.
Group N ECU (flattens the torque curve, gives 7,750 rpm limit)
V6 airbox with 120mm custom cold air feed
Power steering removed
Ktec stealth stainless steel exhaust with lifetime warranty
Comes with standard cat (currently fitted) and Yozzasport decat

Wheels/brakes/tyres/suspension;

3 sets of wheels
TSW 6 spokes (pictured) with 4x Toyo T1R 195/50/15
Oz F1s with 4x Toyo T1R 205/50/15
Dynamique 5 spokes x4 without tyres (one of which is almost painted black LOL)
Brembo HC front discs
EBC red stuff front pads (absolute total and utter crap!)
Braided lines all round
Eibach Sportline springs
Standard dampers

Exterior;

Skoda splitter
Yellow nipple ring
A few battle scars are evident from its occasional off road excursion, ahem.

That's it from memory, I'm sure there's more I've forgotten but that's the key points.

It's been on Surrey Rolling Road pretty much every year of its eight year life and has steadily gained power throughout its life. With the removal of the power steering, the last time it was there it ran a genuine 187 bhp.

The net weight saved by the items removed/replaced = a total of 117kgs, so from a starting point kerb weight of 1,021 kgs, it now stands at 904 kgs.

So that's 205 bhp per ton of fun :approve:

Thoughts on best way to advertise this to get best value?

I know this is great little car and so do many others.

But to be honest,it's not a very highly specced and doesn't have many 'juicy' bit's on it.

So trying to break it, would not really be a very good idea for what you would get for the 'bit's'.

Sell it as a whole package, if I had spare monies, I'd like it.

All IMO of course, and don't take it in the wrong way.
:)

MarkCup

ClioSport Club Member
Of course not Mr Hunter.

I know it's not specced to a high level, I've never gone down the route of expensive upgrades, when I was tracking it regularly all I ever worried about was giving it good brakes and good tyres. The only reason it now sits on Eibach springs is as when MOTd last year a spring was cracked, and standard springs from Renault vs some Sportlines was a no brainer.

I understand breaking it won't realise much value, and will probably make me want to resort to violence with all the muppets that will likely surface...so it will now be sold as a going concern :D

I've got a thick folder full of all the invoices from over the years that I intend to document fully first and it needs a good clean inside and out as well...and I do have the urge to give it one last trackday too so unless a decent offer comes along first, it'll not be going anywhere anytime soon.

Thanks all for the suggestions, nice to know despite its compromised nature so many that know its history think it's a solid bet.

Westy. MX5
I know you like the odd trackday in the Cup but do you honestly prefer driving the 200 round a track, somehow I think not.

MarkCup

ClioSport Club Member
Well, i've only done the one day in the 200 so far and given the choice I have, i'd take it over the Cup every time.

As said above, I might take the Cup out one more time...but it'll be purely for sentimental reasons.

R5 gtt, R27 F1 team
Well thats a bummer for me though. Could have used a lot of bits of your ride!
But tbh this would be the best decision mate!

Maybe the first parts would sell fast and easily but you'll always wind up having a half wrecked shell in the yard...
How is it the badges say: Dci though? Sleeper?

430,911,M3,Exige,Wes
I'd take the grand off Paul and move on to be honest.

And I wouldn't do one last day in it either... coz thats when you will break something! coz thats just how life is!

Last edited:
Only just had a chance to properly look at your pictures. With all due respect you aren't hoping to sell it for much are you?! If I was in the market id say a 1500 is about right.

Sir_Dave

ClioSport Trader
No point breaking it really, with the amount thats missing you'll only get about 1500 quid all in, & 5 billion messers.

And in all seriousness, you'd probably get that (or certainly close to that) within about 10 minutes on Pistonheads - there is literally a queue of people on there that will buy things like this just to mess about with on track. Or Nick would buy it.