ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Bringing some shine back to my roof

1.6 Astra Sporthatch
Got a weird question, my roof doesn't look very shiny? Looks kinda dull and I want to add some shine to it and protect the paint as it has a few tiny cracking spots appearing :( Would like to make the roof shiny and try and avoid the cracking getting worse or even better mend it so there's no cracking left :)

Products in my garage would be good to use to save money (never really used any of them!)

Autoglym SRP
T Cut scratch remover
Turtle wax colour magic in dark blue
Demon shine spray on shine
Autoglym car shampoo
Megiuars tyre gel (obviously not for the roof!)

Don't mind buying more, but would like to keep costs down to a minimum!

Thanks

Ethan

MatthewR

ClioSport Club Member
If its cracking there is a chance that its the lacquer failing gally will know more. Sad thing is if that's true you may be firing a loosing battle.

I'd probably try a few hits of srp though but make sure its worked properly and not just wiped on and off.

TheEvilGiraffe

South East - Essex
ClioSport Area Rep
Put pics up first. Could be laquer is shot, could just be cleaned with a gritty sponge and it's swirled/scratched.

SRP is the only thing I'd suggest using (obviously, shampoo isn't going to anything but help clean). However, it isn't going to remove scratches or even swirls without a LOT of effort.

You need actual polish if you're going to polish it...

Put the T-Cut in the bin.

Pics - post them .. then we'll go from there....

1.6 Astra Sporthatch
Put pics up first. Could be laquer is shot, could just be cleaned with a gritty sponge and it's swirled/scratched.

SRP is the only thing I'd suggest using (obviously, shampoo isn't going to anything but help clean). However, it isn't going to remove scratches or even swirls without a LOT of effort.

You need actual polish if you're going to polish it...

Put the T-Cut in the bin.

Pics - post them .. then we'll go from there....

Haha T-Cut is actually very useful, at removing scratches from CD's ;) Will get pics in the morning daylight I guess it wouldn't be much good pics in the dark!, the cracking is very slight only noticed it a couple of days ago when looking very closely waiting for someone.

Definitely cracking its kind of like a sort of white spiders web effect underneath the paint showing through slightly, Guessing the Renault paint warranty wouldn't be 10 years long and also guessing it wouldn't cover this if it is the laquer failing!

-J-

RS2'ed 172 Cup
A lot of paint warranties are 12 years, audi and vw certainly are. Worth checking.

Really that's bloody good, most paint warranties are 3 years for other manufactures, with 8 - 12 year anti corrosion warranty.

-J-

RS2'ed 172 Cup
Any idea on Renaults one?

Assuming it's the same as our one, 3 years paint and 12 anti corrosion.

I've not worked for Renault for 5 years so could have changed for current models.

If you still have the warranty and service book for your car it will tell you in there.

1.6 Astra Sporthatch

Will hopefully put up tommorow when I find my phone cable :) sorry guys! SRPd the roof with three layers yesterday as well as the whole car, safe to say the whole cars very shiny now as is the roof. Ordered some extra gloss protection to put on top next time I SRP the car for extra protection! I think the cars paint feels different too? Smoother since I used SRP? Call me weird!