ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Britcar 24hr 2012 - Pic heavy

Matt_90

ClioSport Club Member
  Sprint/climb 106 gti
I Spent the weekend helping Team TGMsport at Silverstone this weekend. I was on the spanners and then refuelling during pitstops Its safe to say I am knackered, I thought I would share my pictures from the weekend. Our car (civic FD2) was reliable as ever we had an issue with a front hub early on other than that it was faultless, we also worked out we used nearly 3k in fuel :eek:

Anyway some pictures -

Ones of the civic first lol

8019421444_7ef9733c93_c.jpg

8019417135_8bb5cbdb35_c.jpg

8019417401_8927166812_c.jpg

8019422728_e1894bd3c6_c.jpg

8019423758_45aaf237a9_c.jpg
8019419195_8fc8452456_c.jpg

8019419711_20736dacef_c.jpg

8019425292_175c463a32_c.jpg

8019420689_b31e0250a0_c.jpg

This Pic caused some cause for concern on a drivers sexuality lol..

8019426278_b8a882c323_c.jpg

8019421691_da38ee1de0_c.jpg

8019427310_221aa97892_c.jpg

8019423035_b25330ede4_c.jpg

8019430454_b8eaee6930_c.jpg

8019431488_80938546af_c.jpg

8019427591_dbff04375d_c.jpg

8019434366_e1ea7f0e7f_c.jpg

8019431485_23ee860bf2_c.jpg

The rest of the cars -

8019444433_db237eb058_c.jpg

8019443991_6a0dcf8f3b_c.jpg

8019448448_52c481b328_c.jpg

8019435626_cee8d6a409_c.jpg

8019429993_77ab7aa989_c.jpg

8019428915_86d3bdd974_c.jpg

8019427943_c74138ba60_c.jpg

8019427177_72637e9cef_c.jpg

8019431822_76af8af7e4_c.jpg

8019430876_b51aca9bc1_c.jpg

8019424981_9e4604033a_c.jpg

8019424593_b74c38a7ec_c.jpg

8019429074_67034c0436_c.png

8019428436_063f803111_c.jpg

8019422561_8b8055d8e0_c.jpg

8019418339_1113c14d42_c.jpg

8019423178_12dd7d41bc_c.jpg

8019422890_9bddb8e540_c.jpg

Some cracking shots in there, a couple look a little overprocessed almost HDR for my tastes but like most of them.

Matt_90

ClioSport Club Member
  Sprint/climb 106 gti
Some cracking shots in there, a couple look a little overprocessed almost HDR for my tastes but like most of them.

Thanks :) All the shots have had very little editing, the sky in first shots was like that when I shot them. All I did in the PP was the levels and some noise reduction.

Edition 30
Really need to go to this again. Did 09 and 10 but haven't been past two years.

Great pictures.

DCi 100
Hi Matt, the civic was really tidy! I was working on the No.52 Chevron GR8, vent and rear left on stops. I've only got iPhone pics so not much point in posting. Where did you lads finish?

Did you have any problems with the hideous noise limit too?

Matt_90

ClioSport Club Member
  Sprint/climb 106 gti
we finished 11th overall and 5th in class which was great considering the power of the car. We got a polite telling off on friday added a bung and after that we where fine for sound, but I know alot of teams got messed around or black flagged and disqualified. It was all abit of a joke with regards to the noise limits as we could never get a definetive answer from them to what the limits were.

How did you guys do? we had a boring but good race which is how all the best ones goes. I am glad we did as I didn't fancy all the work some of the other teams had to go through.

DCi 100
we finished 11th overall and 5th in class which was great considering the power of the car. We got a polite telling off on friday added a bung and after that we where fine for sound, but I know alot of teams got messed around or black flagged and disqualified. It was all abit of a joke with regards to the noise limits as we could never get a definetive answer from them to what the limits were.

How did you guys do? we had a boring but good race which is how all the best ones goes. I am glad we did as I didn't fancy all the work some of the other teams had to go through.

Absolute f**king nightmare if Im honest. Nightmare being the key word. We were running first in class and flicking between 4th/5th overall between the Aston's stops. Start of the race went really well. Then we had a black flag for noise around 11pm, had to put another box on the exhaust so about 30/40 mins lost. 1:30am got a radio message saying the car had lost drive and had stopped in the middle of the circuit. Right rear hub shaft had snapped and we had lost the wheel. They wouldn't even drop the car outside the garage so had to trolley jack the back end up and push it down the pit lane. We lost a good hour or so there. We lost the starter motor in the middle of the night so had to push like f**k after every stop to get it going again. We were on the verge of having to swap the front brakes but luckily it rained which delayed the problem till the end. 11am we lost the rear bodywork on national straight, recovered it by running down the pit lane with it. Spent time riveting it on and fixing the rear wing that was bent. Did one lap and the wing had collapsed so came in and had to stick a radical SR8 wing on it which was huge, so pretty lucky again that it rained again. The aero catches on the day bodywork had destroyed themselves so had to keep the night nose on which had a good 5/10kg extra in lights. We had dropped back to the 2nd page of the timing sheet at one point but got back to 6/7th overall and 3rd in class by the end. Lost a good 3/4 hours in the garage by the end of it at a guess, but the whole thing went by with such a blur (hence me typing the events like a r****d).

Pretty pathetic to have the Jazz and Cupra's black flagged out the race due to noise. The aston next door had 8 silencers on prior to qualifying. Got put in a box trailer half way through day quali and came back with another two outside of the bodywork on the rear. Then kept adding further silencers ontop of those. Think they went through about 3/4 sets during the race!

UCMs2.jpg

TFe7Z.jpg

1tWZo.jpg

Matt_90

ClioSport Club Member
  Sprint/climb 106 gti
Sounds like you had an absolute mare! We had all the studs snap on the front nearside hub! But the wheel fell off in the pit lane! But we changed that in under 15 min and that was our only disaster.

The boys at welch had a nightmare with their Leon, they are local to us and where gutted to get black flagged. But of a joke to be honest.

But all in all it was an experience! I think I remember cheering you guys along the pit lane pushing the car.

DCi 100
Sounds like you had an absolute mare! We had all the studs snap on the front nearside hub! But the wheel fell off in the pit lane! But we changed that in under 15 min and that was our only disaster.

The boys at welch had a nightmare with their Leon, they are local to us and where gutted to get black flagged. But of a joke to be honest.

But all in all it was an experience! I think I remember cheering you guys along the pit lane pushing the car.

They all snapped on the way in or way out of the pit lane?

Utter joke considering many track days populated by road cars are at 105db. To have a high spec 24hr race and have it that low is beyond it.

There was one time it just wouldn't get going, getting closer and closer to the end of the pit lane and finally got it going, had a massive cheer from everyone down your end of the garages so probably was! Can't wait for calendars to come out next year now and hunt for another team to work with again. You lads aren't doing Dubai are you?

Matt Cup

ClioSport Club Member
  Leon Cupra
The noise limit was a bit of a joke tbh, was surprised that the Jazz was expelled.

Curtis/Matt

How do you go about working for one of the race teams?

Also, was this a mechanical failure or did someone not secure it properly?
8020439383_a448350f7d_z.jpg

Chevron OOOPS! by Matt Cup, on Flickr

Last edited:

Nafoff

ClioSport Club Member
I Spent the weekend helping Team TGMsport at Silverstone this weekend. I was on the spanners and then refuelling during pitstops Its safe to say I am knackered, I thought I would share my pictures from the weekend. Our car (civic FD2) was reliable as ever we had an issue with a front hub early on other than that it was faultless, we also worked out we used nearly 3k in fuel :eek:
This Pic caused some cause for concern on a drivers sexuality lol..

8019426278_b8a882c323_c.jpg

some really nice photos there, pleasure to meet you by the way, i visited a couple times saturday afternoon / evening to speak to chris, (i guess you are the lanky one and not the Rockstar MTB mechanic? is that Tom?) you guys did really well considering the car was relatively stock, as for the above photo, i have heard chris is slightly partial to the dirty side of the grid (if you get me)...

Absolute f**king nightmare if Im honest. Nightmare being the key word. We were running first in class and flicking between 4th/5th overall between the Aston's stops. Start of the race went really well. Then we had a black flag for noise around 11pm, had to put another box on the exhaust so about 30/40 mins lost. 1:30am got a radio message saying the car had lost drive and had stopped in the middle of the circuit. Right rear hub shaft had snapped and we had lost the wheel. They wouldn't even drop the car outside the garage so had to trolley jack the back end up and push it down the pit lane. We lost a good hour or so there. We lost the starter motor in the middle of the night so had to push like f**k after every stop to get it going again. We were on the verge of having to swap the front brakes but luckily it rained which delayed the problem till the end. 11am we lost the rear bodywork on national straight, recovered it by running down the pit lane with it. Spent time riveting it on and fixing the rear wing that was bent. Did one lap and the wing had collapsed so came in and had to stick a radical SR8 wing on it which was huge, so pretty lucky again that it rained again. The aero catches on the day bodywork had destroyed themselves so had to keep the night nose on which had a good 5/10kg extra in lights. We had dropped back to the 2nd page of the timing sheet at one point but got back to 6/7th overall and 3rd in class by the end. Lost a good 3/4 hours in the garage by the end of it at a guess, but the whole thing went by with such a blur (hence me typing the events like a r****d).

Pretty pathetic to have the Jazz and Cupra's black flagged out the race due to noise. The aston next door had 8 silencers on prior to qualifying. Got put in a box trailer half way through day quali and came back with another two outside of the bodywork on the rear. Then kept adding further silencers ontop of those. Think they went through about 3/4 sets during the race!

TFe7Z.jpg

Sounds like you had an absolute mare! We had all the studs snap on the front nearside hub! But the wheel fell off in the pit lane! But we changed that in under 15 min and that was our only disaster. The boys at welch had a nightmare with their Leon, they are local to us and where gutted to get black flagged. But of a joke to be honest. But all in all it was an experience! I think I remember cheering you guys along the pit lane pushing the car.

i commented on the aston whilst walking the grid, the thing looked crazy with the extra boxes out the back, with all the aero going on i was pretty sure that wasn't the norm (now it all makes sense), as for the leon, that was a weird one, again i commented about it once we heard it got flagged on saturday, couldn't understand how they had let it run at practice and quali, then for a percentage of the race before flagging it. On seeing it back on track again after the flag it was evidently quieter, however this didn't seem to last long and gradually got louder over the next few laps, i guess they stuffed a box with wadding or something (although someone mentioned a deflector to me). If its the leon i am thinking of however.... it was silly loud

DCi 100
The noise limit was a bit of a joke tbh, was surprised that the Jazz was expelled.

Curtis/Matt

How do you go about working for one of the race teams?

Also, was this a mechanical failure or did someone not secure it properly?
8020439383_a448350f7d_z.jpg

Chevron OOOPS! by Matt Cup, on Flickr

A friend I go to college with was approached on a test at Snett back in July by some guys running a radical in the next garage saying they were looking for couple of students to help them at Britcar 24hr. So I got the guys number and gave him a buzz, turned out he knew my current boss at my priority job/workshop job at a SPEED Euroseries team. Both used to run radicals many years back and my boss had bought cars off him, so got a good reference there. Go down for a test couple of weeks ago and I was on for the race. If only could find a team to do Dubai 24 with!

The rear end was only held on by two latches underneath the roof, and two aero catches under the wing on the rear of the gearbox framing. The two latches under the roof were working loose throughout the race so we started taping them to make sure they didn't work their way off. Well, until that happened. Had to rivet aluminium sheet over where the aero catches were and rivet the sides, tape the f**k out of the top and send it out with 4 hours left.

Matt_90

ClioSport Club Member
  Sprint/climb 106 gti
some really nice photos there, pleasure to meet you by the way, i visited a couple times saturday afternoon / evening to speak to chris, (i guess you are the lanky one and not the Rockstar MTB mechanic? is that Tom?) you guys did really well considering the car was relatively stock, as for the above photo, i have heard chris is slightly partial to the dirty side of the grid (if you get me)...

Did I get to meet you lol? I met so many people across the weekend.. The one who is the mtb mechanic is Phil, very close friend of mine got me involved with the team. I was in the blue overalls... the lanky one is James.

I heard similar things about chris aswell lol! ... especially from old men like Willy (the driver)

Matt_90

ClioSport Club Member
  Sprint/climb 106 gti
They all snapped on the way in or way out of the pit lane?

Utter joke considering many track days populated by road cars are at 105db. To have a high spec 24hr race and have it that low is beyond it.

There was one time it just wouldn't get going, getting closer and closer to the end of the pit lane and finally got it going, had a massive cheer from everyone down your end of the garages so probably was! Can't wait for calendars to come out next year now and hunt for another team to work with again. You lads aren't doing Dubai are you?

They snapped as we turned in to the garage... we thought something had collapsed to be then confronted with the wheel coming off, guess TGM can't charge an hour to change a hub now lol..

Dubai is actually on the cards :)

DCi 100
They snapped as we turned in to the garage... we thought something had collapsed to be then confronted with the wheel coming off, guess TGM can't charge an hour to change a hub now lol..

Dubai is actually on the cards :)

Extremely lucky that is wasn't in the middle of hangar straight then!

Shipping date is 6/7 weeks from now for Dubai isn't it?

R14 CUP
My old man was on the team for the Richard Abra GSR M3 that eventually won the race.

Good pictures there mate - wish I had gone. Next year maybe :)

Nafoff

ClioSport Club Member
Did I get to meet you lol? I met so many people across the weekend.. The one who is the mtb mechanic is Phil, very close friend of mine got me involved with the team. I was in the blue overalls... the lanky one is James.

I heard similar things about chris aswell lol! ... especially from old men like Willy (the driver)

possibly not then, i thought there was only, Phil, james and chris, my apologies
how many petrol drums did you get through in the end?

Matt_90

ClioSport Club Member
  Sprint/climb 106 gti
These are superb mate. Really good.

possibly not then, i thought there was only, Phil, james and chris, my apologies
how many petrol drums did you get through in the end?

No worries, we had 8 of us in total for the crew plus 6 drivers and various other people doing the cooking etc lol! we got through 5 maybe 6 I think if you included Friday.

AG 200 cup
Will get my pictures up tomorrow when I can be bothered loading up the computer. Really enjoyed the weekend and walking around the garages makes me want to try and get into working in motorsport.

Turbos.
So what was the noise limit? And why was it enforced like that? Sounds ridiculous and a real shame... especially considering the low entries.

Great pics there and nice to see people's write ups on what must be an epic event. Is the FD2 quicker than their old DC5?

Presumably the Chevron was never built for endurance so at least you know what to sort for next time! ;)

Matt_90

ClioSport Club Member
  Sprint/climb 106 gti
They still have the dc5's they used it the previous weekend in the night race a brands. The FD2 is a customers car which is supported by the team.

The noise limits where 100db drive by I believe but it they couldn't make their mind up between 100 & 105db

DCi 100
100DB limit was the level in the race. But people were around 102/103 during thursday test? Probably due to it being overnight and the neighbours pretty much.

We knew the Chevron would fall to pieces, poor thing needs some money putting into it before it could be classed as usable again.