ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Brokedown this morning now won't start

Clio sport 172
My clio broke down on me this morning
am not quite sure what's wrong with it to be honest was drivin to work and it seemed to loose all revs when I went to slow down it cut out now won't start the engine turns over (bit rough compared to normal I think) there's plenty oil, coolant etc aux belt is still in tack so is the cam belt well the camshaft spins when turning over the engine.
Any help would be gratefull as I have a 40mile round trip to work everyday and start at half 5 so unable to use public transport

Clio sport 172
I just checked the wiring and cleaned the crankshaft sensor on it 2 weeks ago usually got to do it every other month with I will check it again tho I checked the map sensor and cleaned that (was black) would that stop it from starting ? And does anybody know what the actuall function of a map sensor is ? It was mapped last weekend with pops and bangs but it didn't work could this have anything to do with it ?

The MAP sensor reads the Manifold Absolute Pressure to determine air density and flow, part of the fuel injection control.
If it was mapped and the map failed, it should still have the original engine map on it (or it wouldn't have run at all). TDC sensor if it's needing cleaned so often, is is possible just completely dead? If i understand correctly, the sensor can just wear out and needs to eventually be replaced?

Clio sport 172
So the map sensor being dirty would stop it from starting/ running am waiting on another mate coming to try and jump start the car hopefully it will work

I wouldn't imagine so, it's just a pressure sensor. I would have thought if it was duff, it would make the car just fuel incorrectly. If it's turning over as you try and start it, it probably doesnt need a jump - the battery obviously has power to spin the starter.
Checked all the HT leads and sparks? If it's spinning but not firing up, i'd have thought maybe one of those was to blame.

Clio sport 172
The battery went flat on the tow home this morning with me needing the lights etc on i just gave it a full service last week aswell all new plugs leads etc

I'd double check your spark plugs and leads if it's not firing. what plugs did you use? The f4r can sometimes be a bit picky if you dont use the recommend NGK i think.
I've heard of people having problems with Magnecor HT leads too, if you used those.

So it was mapped to pop etc and it didn'y work?

I know nothing about mapping but could the map that was put on /wrote be crap?? And now causing problems!

Clio sport 172
I was thinking that aswell but not 100% am trying to get someone with a diagnostics machine to check it over for electrical faults

Clio sport 172
Well after cleaning various sensors etch. Pulled off the inlet off and found oil/water residue and also found bits of metal what looks to be parts of a valve :( now I need to decide its it's worth changing the engine or buying a new car

Clio sport 172
That's what I was thinking but I made that mistake when the engine went in my old Astra striped the car but wish I never now I loved that car. I do like my clio but now it needs a engine gearbox ave got a freshly rebuilt gearbox ready to go in and a full respray but the money I've spent on it recently unreal think I will source a engine for her

Clio sport 172
Am goin to take it down to them as soon as I get it sorted must have had something to do with it as the only engine trouble I've had was not starting (dirty crankshaft sensor) it pulled very strong and well the whole time I've had it Neva really used a great lot of oil (always within spec) and Neva used a drop of coolant

These engines do like to spit valves. Maybe the fueling was to much on the map which caused alot more heat in the valves??
chipmk1 is the man who will know if overfueling can help/cause excess heat which weakens components

Over fuelling cools everything down. Under fuelling causes a lot of excess heat aswell as too much ign r****d. Which is what you do to get pops and bangs. pops and bangs maps from my experience out them at about 25:1 fuelling with -25 degrees of advance.

Clio sport 172
I won't be striping the engine down unless I get bored over the holidays hopefully gettin a engine this weekend and in the car asap