ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Broken Cup...

Abarth 500

My poor little Cup has broken again...

The really bad part about it this time is both the dealer and Renault UK are refusing to lend me a car because they havent yet assertained the cause of the problem and they think the liability for the work may rest with me... This is not the first time Ive had serious problems but apparantly parts such as gearboxes and clutches can wear out in a few months of normal driving. Never mind that my car is a high performance car designed to be raced and rallied according to the promotional material that encouraged me to buy the car, apparantly me driving it around on public roads is enough to break the bloody thing in two.

No one at Renault is prepared to offer me any assistance and my only option is to be carless for a while and then fight them over the cost once the job has been done...

Words really cannot describe how pissed off I am...

Ill write a review of my local dealer for the new section once the situation is resolved because they may still redeem themselves (on current form, I doubt it) but for now Im off home (on the bus) to cry into my beer... Thank god for the person whos coming round to cheer me up!!!

MarkCup

ClioSport Club Member

Quote: Originally posted by cbscup on 08 December 2003

My poor little Cup has broken again...

...apparantly parts such as gearboxes and clutches can wear out in a few months of normal driving...
That is absolutely 110% f***ing outrageous that theyd even offer that as some kind of reasoning...:mad:

I take it youve had some legal advice?

Abarth 500

Not yet...

Im waiting to hear tomorrow whether or not theyll do it as a warranty job. My next move will depend on the outcome of that.

It doesnt help my current crisis of no car though!!!

320d M Sport

i know u wont like this but ALL dealers give u courtesy car as a courtesy, theyre not actually required to.

Still, wat nobs.

Reading Evo they had a long-term Cup and they had the clutch go at about 30k+, Renault replaced it free of charge under warranty and the car had been used at a LOT of trackdays, tell em that and see what they say, and produce the evidence if needed. It cant be one rule for one and another for others!

Exactly!!!

Ive dont 10k in 4 months and my clutch is mullered!! Be Very interested to find out whta they say when it goes in for a service!!! Proably deniy there is a problem!!

Abarth 500

Thanks cliosport. Thats useful ammo which i think Im going to need!

Theres no way they can deny the problem - the car isnt moving anywhere at the moment! The trouble is theyve already replaced the clutch and gearbox under warranty so theyre reluctant to do it again. Ill just have to wait and see what they decide once theyve got the box out tomorrow...

I know they dont have to give me a car but it seems odd that theyd rather have an unhappy customer than lend out a car whilst they fix mine!! Renault are constantly slated for their customer service and Im beginning to understand why!!

Get an independent inspection, im not an expert on things mechanical but if you havnt done many miles since they last replaced it and it needed changing through a fault in the first place, whats to say it isnt an inherent manufacturing fault within your car?

Tell you something, Im glad I got rid of my Cup. Bloody pile of sh*te the lot of them :mad:

Sorry youre having trouble - get a solicitor and make sure they fix your car for you!

Quote: Originally posted by cbscup on 08 December 2003

Thanks cliosport. Thats useful ammo which i think Im going to need!
Tell them your in the club, its should be all the ammo you need. Name and shame them then make them aware of the adverse publicity infront of 1000+ members. It worked for me! I got everything fixed under warrenty and £200+ in vouchers from renault hq as a sweetner. I know how to play hardball and you just need stop taking no for an answer and put them in their place, the customer is always right.

172 cup,s2 rs turbo

all parts are covered in your first years warranty.in the second/third year warranty wear and tear parts arent covered although if something like a clutch fails prematurley then renault might pay for it in full or at least give you a large contribution.if you get to pissed off contact customer services and kick up a stink.

Just a bit off topic .. Jay do you know if you have to get your car serviced at a Renault dealer to keep the warrenty. I remember hearing about some Euro law that bans manufacturers from doing this as it basically gives the Renault dealers a monopolly when servicing 3 year < cars and if you get it serviced at a proper garage using genuine Renault parts they cant null your warrenty.....

Got any idea if this is true?

hey up mate i had the same problem..my clutch was shagged at 3,000 miles and renault had the car for about 6 times for the problem and they couldnt find a fault and the noise and clutch shagging was obvious, i wouldnt mmind but the car is never ragged ..anyways one day it was bad and i thought i would go in and see if a technician was around to feel the bloody thing..as look would have a bloke who was showing people around the new megane was there and he said it needed a new clutch cable minimum ..booked the car in and when it was in the garage decided it needed a new cable and new clutch which renault paid for the lot...the majority of dealers are tw*ts mate and they dont understand that for 13,000 you expect a car that not only goes like stink but at least lasts the term of the warranty..which obviously renaults dont....i think my next car is going to have to be a honda civic..i need reliability...keep on at them mate as its been said already you cant have one rule for one and not the other..good luck mate...RENAULTS ARE CRAPPY!!!!:)

172 cup,s2 rs turbo

that new euro law isnt in affect yet so at the moment you must have renault dealer history to keep your warranty.the law will be in affect very soon though so watch this space.Tesco apparantly are going to open up garage branches when the law comes in.they are doing trials at the moment to see if its viable or not.the idea is your car gets serviced whilst you do your shopping and you pay for your shopping and the service at the checkout till.you get outside and your cars done and off you go.due to the new law you would keep your warranty as well.good idea but only time will tell if it actually will work.

richard told me that..as long as you have genuine parts you can have your services done anyway and save loadsa money but still have your warranty..he did warn though that lets say something is not covered under warranty and they are going to give 80% towards it renault will give you 5-10% more if you had it serviced through the main dealer network..thinks that right anyways!!!

Tom

ClioSport Club Member
  EV (s)

Unlucky dude.

After my 3rd gearbox same thing happened to me. just keep on at them.

Abarth 500

*UPDATE*

God I hate these people...

Anyway, I am still without a car since Saturday night because the dealer were convinced it was my problem. RenaultUK have been no help at all because they believe the dealer that it is driver error.

I have logged all calls between myself, the dealer, RFS and RUK and they have all been made by me. Getting people to return calls has proved impossible.

I have just phoned the dealer to be informed that the diff is broken and it needs a whole new gearbox (Im no mechanic as those who know me will tell you ). I pressed him to find out how that could be caused by my driving and he said it wasnt and that he was just waiting for RUK to authorise the repair under warranty!!

The good news therefore is that the car *should* be fixed for free but the bad news is that Ive been carless for days and have yet to receive an apology. Their compensation had better be good...

<Christian takes deep breaths and tries to stay calm>

f**kERS

<damn>

ps http://www.cruisesouthmids.com/forums/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=816http://www.cruisesouthmids.com/forums/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=816 - Click for pictures of my poor stranded baby!!

320d M Sport

haha, i hate reno more every day, useless, theyve got a bad attitude and dont want to help people.

My clutch basically wore out at 18K!!!. I didnt realise it was nearly on its way out, I just took it into Renault because the clutch was biting higher even than its normal biting point (which is very high). I thought there would just be some adjustment or something. I couldnt believe it when they said it will need a new clutch at a cost of £500 odd quid!!! Which would be covered under warranty if it was found to be a fault, but I would have to pay if it was driver abuse - They would let me know when it was out.

They stripped it out, replaced it and then told me it was definately worn due to driver abuse, "it was blue in places, the clutch plate was distorted - which was consistent with snatching a gear change" etc.., I hadnt even been given a chance to argue and tell them not to replace it etc...

In the end they reluctantly agreed to put it through on warranty, because I argued that it was a performance car and the materials used IMO werent up to the job, and Renault had obviously not put an uprated enough clutch in to cope with all the power. ( I had only had it for about 6 months as well)

Abarth 500

My clutch wore out at 17 days and 2.5k miles and they tried to pin it on me as well!!!

Ive just had confirmation that they will change the gearbox under warranty so I am as happy as they come at the moment!! Im still without a car and will be until at least next Thursday but apparantly that is satisfactory customer care...

As long as they compensate me accordingly then Ill be happy!

Does anyone want to buy an 03 Cup with 15k on the clock and one careful owner for too much money??? Im off to buy a Breadvan Type R...

Tom

ClioSport Club Member
  EV (s)

They expected me to wait for mine too.

Told them i was getting a hire car and sending them the bill. which they paid.

172 cup,s2 rs turbo

Quote: Originally posted by CUPPY on 08 December 2003

richard told me that..as long as you have genuine parts you can have your services done anyway and save loadsa money but still have your warranty..he did warn though that lets say something is not covered under warranty and they are going to give 80% towards it renault will give you 5-10% more if you had it serviced through the main dealer network..thinks that right anyways!!!
guess that new law is in force now then.as well as being able to have your car serviced elsewhere it also means anything a dealer can buy so can anybody else EG-special tools,diagnostic equipment,manuals and even the renault technician training as well.

What was the reason again why ive orded a skoda over a 172. O that was it, the Skoda wont f**kING BREAK. And my nice dealer will still look after me once its been Jabbad to 180bhp.

Sorry just having a moment.