ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Broken key, will Apple just give me a new key?

ChrisR

ClioSport Club Member
Using my MBP last night and the down arrow cursor key just decided to pop off.

No problem I thought will just clip it back on, accept looks like the little plastic pegs are broken.

I can pop into a store on Thursday so can make an appointment to see someone then, but does anyone know if they'll just have a spare key to pop on and send me on my way or will I have to leave it with them?

ChrisR

ClioSport Club Member
Yup bought 3 year Applecare when purchased, it's pretty much bang on a year old.

ChrisR

ClioSport Club Member
Hmm is that a leave it with them and pick it up a week later job or can they do it there and then?

Honda. Tesla Someday
They usually say "wait here..."

walk off...

come back 2 minutes later with a box.

Take out a brand new (or refurb) keyboard.

Hand it to you.

Take your old keyboard.

Ask if you need any more help.

Sign on the dotted line.

walk away.

DONE.

Apple customer service is second to none.

They usually say "wait here..."

walk off...

come back 2 minutes later with a box.

Take out a brand new (or refurb) keyboard.

Hand it to you.

Take your old keyboard.

Ask if you need any more help.

Sign on the dotted line.

walk away.

DONE.

Apple customer service is second to none.

MacBook Pro...?

ChrisR

ClioSport Club Member
lol yeah as said, it's an MBP so not quite that easy. Can't really be doing with leaving it with them for x amount of time for just a poxy key so really hoping they just have a pot of spares or something so they can just pop a new one on.

If you're nice, polite, smile, say how much you love them and say you're happy to go sit and have a coffee somewhere and come back for it, but you can't leave it for a week as you need it for work, they're usually okay.

Keyboard isn't a massive thing to fix. They do iPhone screens while you wait.

ChrisR

ClioSport Club Member
Meh went in today, they didn't have a spare key knocking around so said it'll have to be a whole keyboard job and it'll take a few days (he wouldn't budge) ffs.

All for one key, seems a massive waste and inconvenience, I'm just going to have to buy one I think as it's less hassle.

Also, and this is just me being me, they ask you for your password so that they can boot it up and test things which I thought was a bit off as it's not obfuscated in any way and ends up on paperwork etc. Along with other details like email address.

Now I don't use the same password for things but I bet a lot of people do and just something I'm not comfortable handing over (again it's largely just me due to the sort of work I do).

I know I could set a temporary one for the work but still means potentially my stuff can be accessed as they now can get to the encrypted stuff.

Aw well, can't fault them for wanting to carry out £114 worth of work to replace a single key.