ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Brought my engine bay into life with a bit of colour

LY Megane R26
Finally got round to doing this, the engine bay looked realy dull and boring before and just needed to broought back to life some how.

Heres how it was 3 weeks ago

IMG_1285.jpg

and approx 20 mins after it looking like that...

IMG_2386.jpg

2 weeks ago i had made a little progress....

IMG_2388.jpg

Not long after that pic i got it fitted, along with the sprayed throttle body and fuel rail gaurd, also gave the cam cover a good clean up too as it was filthy, you could see i had already started in the pic with no inlet on.
(please excuse the poor light was late and had to use flash)

IMG_2389.jpg

Finally after 3 weeks of it being apart, i managed to finish the cover and got it all back together and got some pics at weekend....

IMG_2398.jpg

IMG_2396.jpg

IMG_2397.jpg

IMG_2399.jpg

Overall im very chuffed with the turn out, considering the cold weather.... I thought the laquer was going to be a pain in the arse and not set properly.
I just used black VHT paint for the inlet and fuel rail gaurd and silver VHT paint for the throttle body, but the paint shop i got it from did a VHT clear coat too so thought id get some of that and im glad i did because the black went very matt a bit more matt than i was hoping for, i wanted more of a satin black look but it turned out very nice doing it like this, i also used the VHT clear cote on the throttle body which now looks new :)
but i had to leave the renault sport bit with the polished alloy look, couldnt resist had seen it on a few other peoples cars and really liked it so i did that before i applied the VHT clear coat so it will stay like that

Just goto think what to do induction kit wise now, im tempted with a diy kit, with black silicone hoses and alloy pipe also in black to bring a filter down in front of the battery, or just go for the ktec kit, and be lazy but not sure i can justify the extra £70 odd quid lol

Opinions welcome :)

Chris

LY Megane R26
Thanks guys really appreciate the comments :)

I think it's surprising how much of a big difference it makes adding a bit of colour like that,
and for how easy (although a little time consuming depending on what your doing) and cheap it is, it's well worth it.

Good job!

You need some polished top mount covers and a battery cover to finish it off ;)

Thanks dan,
love the selling technique there lol
theyre not my kind of thing that sort of bling haha. But I do need a couple of bits from you actually
so there will be a pm coming your way soon :)

LY Megane R26
Looks good Chris. I need to pop over and have a look at it one weekend.

Yer by all means feel free to pop by mate,
I'm about most weekends, just give a heads if a few days before so I can make sure ill be around.
Just drop a text or something dude....

oh yee just thought forgot to reply to you yesterday haha.

Maybe it'll make you buy another one, whether it be a trophy or ff 182 :p

LY Megane R26
That looks mint mate, i would like this doing to mine ;)

its very easy mate, if you have the patience have a go yourself pal.
plus when you stand back and look at it after youve done it, its so much better than when somone else has done it for you if you get me :)

Very smart! So simple aswell!

It is very simple mate, that was the best part... ok it took a fair while
i mean its the same with anything like this, if you put in the time for preperation you reap the benifits with the finished product.
i must admit i did spend a long time prepping the the parts making sure they were clean etc, all i used was a brillo pad too lol

Looks great. This is what I was planning to do, except paint the cover orange. What paint did you use for the inlet? High temp?

I used 3 different tins, they were an orange can, the make was Autotek professional VHT, it was VHT black for the inlet and fuel rail gaurd, and VHT silver-grey for the throttle body. Then i used the VHT clear over the inlet, throttle body and fuel rail gaurd. The guy in the body shop said that with the silver or any colour, over time and with enough heat the silver will just turn black so will need the clear coat to prevent that. Now i dont know if this was just to get me to buy the clear coat or not, because i dont think the throttlebody will heat up enough for it to change colour at all. But id have bought it anyway and im glad i did because the finish of the black was so much nicer with the clear coat
Then for the renault sport, i just used a orbital sander with a grade of 600 or 800 i cant remember, and then just went over lightly with the 1000 gritt and brillo pad so it still had that brushed ally look.

Then when you spray the inlet once its dried before i applied the clear coat i just went over very carefully with a small block of wood and the 1000gritt again to take the paint off the renault sport bit and then sprayed with clear coat

hope that helps for when you do yours :)

Last edited:
I used 3 different tins, they were an orange can, the make was Autotek professional VHT, it was VHT black for the inlet and fuel rail gaurd, and VHT silver-grey for the throttle body. Then i used the VHT clear over the inlet, throttle body and fuel rail gaurd. The guy in the body shop said that with the silver or any colour, over time and with enough heat the silver will just turn black so will need the clear coat to prevent that. Now i dont know if this was just to get me to buy the clear coat or not, because i dont think the throttlebody will heat up enough for it to change colour at all. But id have bought it anyway and im glad i did because the finish of the black was so much nicer with the clear coat
Then for the renault sport, i just used a orbital sander with a grade of 600 or 800 i cant remember, and then just went over lightly with the 1000 gritt and brillo pad so it still had that brushed ally look.

Then when you spray the inlet once its dried before i applied the clear coat i just went over very carefully with a small block of wood and the 1000gritt again to take the paint off the renault sport bit and then sprayed with clear coat

hope that helps for when you do yours :)

Thanks mate. Ill have to get this done whin I get some spare time!