ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

BT Broadband and iPhone Wifi

Mondeo STTDCI
I need some help with this. It all shows connected and is dandy, but then nothing works. I have to reset the hub, then it works for a bit usually, then nothing.

Whats going on!

Polo (not quite a Clio)
Hi Dave,

If your BT Home Hub is quite old (had BT broadband for a long time - received one of the original home hubs), what I would suggest is a firmware update - you'll need to do this via the Home Hub itself and using BT Help.

Your may have the 'BT Broadband Help' application on your PC, which will be able to advise you. If not, find out the model number of your Home Hub, either via the web admin or by looking on the router itself. Have a quick Google or search through BTs knowledge base / help system online and find out if there is a firmware update available.

Alternatively, I have found in the past - that the iPhone is a little fussy over what encryption method is used on the router (WEP, WPA, WPA2 etc), login to the Home Hub and change between the wireless encryption types; please keep in mind, you will need to reconfigure/reconnect your other wireless devices (laptops etc) if you change these settings.

Finally, double check the encryption key/password that you are entering into the iPhone is 100% correct - it could be case sensitive in some cases, so follow the format of the encryption key to the exact letter.

I feel outdated firmware is the most likely cause, from the symptoms you have described - working temporarily and then not at all. I would definitely try and do this first.

If you need any more help, drop me a PM and we'll carry on from there.

All the best,
Ryan

Polo (not quite a Clio)
More information

"The current version of firmware for BT Home Hub versions 1.0 and 1.5 is 6.2.6.H"

If you have version 2.0 - your Home Hub should update automatically, so you can cross this off the possible list of faults.

Apparently, versions 1.0 and 1.5 should also self-update. Which has made me think - when you reset your Home Hub to factory defaults, it has the very original firmware.. the iPhone works, the Home Hub then updates to the latest firmware and then the iPhone ceases to work

More possibilities:

1) The Home Hub has a compatibility issue with the iPhone
2) The Home Hub switches to a later wireless encryption type with the firmware update and as a result, doesn't let your iPhone communicate/connect. Simply disconnect/delete the wireless connection from your iPhone and reconnect - which will force it to re detect the wireless settings.

So many bloody potential issues - the BT Home Hub really is quite poor, maybe free - but it's certainly not the "best" wireless broadband router/coverage in the UK.

Ryan

Mondeo STTDCI
Solved!!! I switched to WEP and had solid connection ever since with no dropping out!!

Thanks!!!

172 Cup
But are there really that msny ppl looking to pinch broadband?

Yup. That's before we get started on people using third party connections for less than desirable reasons.

WPA2-PSK for me.

Last edited: