ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Bt line rental, Sky line rental, perhaps I'm just getting old...

Perhaps I’m getting old or just going mental.

I’ve called Sky to get my Broadband and Phone setup. I’m not arsed about the phone deal. And Broadband speed is nothing to worry about as long as I can do iPlayer, I’m just interested in the TV really. Sky tell me they need to know my landline number. It’s a new flat, so I don’t know it. Vendor’s contents and fixings form shows BT as the provider of the broadband and phone line. I call BT, ask them for a telephone number, they sell me £15.45 line rental per month. I think, fine – that’s how it use to work in Uni days (9 years ago) – you pay your quarterly line rental to BT and the Broadband provider does a monthly cost for the level of broadband connection you desire.

I am then told by Sky that they do the line rental, at £14.95 per month and BT have sold me something I don’t need… so I’ve now technically signed up to both, with both suggesting there is a cancellation fee for the remaining 12 months contract. Both around £4.50 per month, so around £50 charge. BT line activated this morning, Sky will activate on the 21[SUP]st[/SUP] of this month.

Now as far as I’m aware, there is a cooling off period for all contracts, as well as the fact that during the conversation both Sky and BT have mis-sold me a service/given me wrong information/advice – Sky saying I need to speak to BT about my line, when they should be checking my number by postcode/address; and BT by telling me I need a line with them for my Sky broadband.

Question is, after telling BT they’re the ones in the wrong, am I actually arguing with the right company?! f**ked if I’m paying any fees for cancellation!

Cheers all.

/confused

Gally

Formerly Mashed up egg in a cup
ClioSport Club Member
It's more funny because Sky use the BT line. Both f**king retards and wouldn't pay them a penny for phone or Broadband. 2 of the worst companies to deal with when it's phone or BB. Been with Plusnet 5 years now never had an ounce of hassle.

More to the point one of them has to sort it. I imagine you want BT to feck off and keep Sky, so much easier that way.

Yeah the phone and broadband is not an issue really. It'll barely be used. TV with sky is what I want and the bundle was the best option. Bloody utilities companies!!

WRX
14 days I think the cooling off period is. Sky use BT contracted engineers to do the initial setup anyway, so I think you've been misinformed by both. IMO when you phoned Sky, they should have sorted it all for you.

Contracts don't automatically have a cooling off period as such but most offer something (especially landlines). BT tried to do this to one of our customers recently, thankfully they spoke to us before agreeing too it. Sky should be the ones who sort out the line and things and you shouldn't have had to call BT at all unless it was something to do with the old line being active.

I'd be calling BT and telling them to die in a fire, just check the T&C's you would have been sent through. Also seeing as I've seen it happen before it might be worth checking on Money Saving Expert etc to see if others have had the same thing as it wouldn't suprise me in the slightest.

JonnyK

Honorary Member
ClioSport Club Member
  500 Bhp Golf R 7.5
in BT's terms and conditions you have up until mid day the day before the contract starts to cancel or you are held to term. that's it.

Apparently that's not it. As with all contracts you have a 14 day cooling off periods standard consumer rights...

Also, line was activated on the 7th at 7.30am - order placed on the 6th at 2pm so no idea how midday day before would have worked!

As soon as I mentioned the above, the arsehole of a BT complaints supervisor backed down and suggested he cancel the contract with no costs. Having then been sent a letter by the Direct Debit team and the lady on the phone suggesting I'd still be charged £15.45 for a months usage, I again kicked off and have now got a written apology.

Done.

Oh and currently have 8meg dl speed. Thanks Sky.

I kinda had the same issue with you (no phoneline, address not found) sky arranged for BT to come and fit a phoneline, Then once that was activated sky sorted the BB and sent me the router. I pay my line rental to sky.

Just read you had it sorted.

Skoda Fabia vRS
one of my relations was recently disconnected from BT for no reason whatsoever, they wanted to charge him to connect up again