ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

BT trial ADSL2+

172 Cup
Small "in-house" trials have already taken place but now they're rolling it out for a larger trial and I've been asked to take part.

So some good news (at some point later this year) to all those that want faster DSL speeds but aren't on an LLU'd exchange.

Apparently the trial lasts until October and as I'm already a Be* customer they're fitting a second line free of charge and giving me £50 quarterly calling credit as a thank you for taking part.

It will be interesting to see how BT(w) compare to Be*..

Clio200 EDC Lux
pff LOL been a bt interent customer for 9 years and don't get on the trial lol. Hopefully trial goes well as my exchange aint LLU'd :( Did they ring you up or something then?

Renault meggy
I only have 1MB from BT :(
They said I would get up to 8MB but its not even close
will this ADSL2+ benefit me eventually?
Or will the fact that I am 'too far away from the exchange' prevent this making my internet faster?

Thanks

Clio200 EDC Lux
Just found out its only specific exhanges on the trial.

Which exchanges are included in the trial?
Currently they are all in the Birmingham and Wolverhampton area:

Acocks Green, Birmingham Central, Broadwell, Burntwood, Cannock, Castle Bromwich, Chelmsley Wood, Coleshill, Edgbaston, Erdington, Halesowen, Harbourn, Highbury, Kings Norton, Leamore, Litchfield, Midland, Penn, Sedgley, Selly Oak, Sheldon, Solihull, Stechford, Tipton, Walsall Central, Wednesbury, West Bromwich, Wolverhampton Central, Woodgate, Victoria.

172 Cup
Just found out its only specific exhanges on the trial.

Which exchanges are included in the trial?
Currently they are all in the Birmingham and Wolverhampton area:

Ac**ks Green, Birmingham Central, Broadwell, Burntwood, Cannock, Castle Bromwich, Chelmsley Wood, Coleshill, Edgbaston, Erdington, Halesowen, Harbourn, Highbury, Kings Norton, Leamore, Litchfield, Midland, Penn, Sedgley, Selly Oak, Sheldon, Solihull, Stechford, Tipton, Walsall Central, Wednesbury, West Bromwich, Wolverhampton Central, Woodgate, Victoria.

;)

I'll keep this thread updated with how the trial progresses and what comparisons can be made against Be*.

172 Cup
I only have 1MB from BT :(
They said I would get up to 8MB but its not even close
will this ADSL2+ benefit me eventually?
Or will the fact that I am 'too far away from the exchange' prevent this making my internet faster?

Thanks

Distance from the exchange is usually quoted as being the fundamental reason why people's speeds are lower than they'd hoped but this isn't strictly the full picture.

Line length* is the key contributing factor in determining what speeds can be achieved. In laymans terms the longer the loop length the higher the attenuation and therefore the lower the speed achieved. However aluminium splices and bad/old/faulty wiring also contributes.

* - Line length isn't the length of the line to the exchange it's actually the length of the line to the DSLAM. Currently these are all installed in local exchanges hence the usual "I'm x,y,z <distance> from the exchange". If the DSLAM's are moved closer, say the street cabinet, then distance to the exchange becomes null and void. However that's a while off yet.

BMW e46 320 Ci Sport
what you need is fibre...whic apparently virgin are rolling out, then you get what you pay for.

Clio F1 R27
what you need is fibre...whic apparently virgin are rolling out, then you get what you pay for.

No this is crap, Virgin TV network is multi access so you share the local segment with everyone else and suffer when contention is high.

DSL is a better technology going forward.