ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Bubbling rear arches :(

Can anyone give me some advice for repairing my shagged rear arches, looks like someones tried to fix them before. (can see some form of filler on the inside)

Mechanically and electrically Iam good, but Ive never had to do body repairs :(

Some form of step by step guide would be nice.

Thanks

hi

never done a clio(?) but done an astra gte. The format is still the same though. When you have bubbles it means that it is rusting from the inside out - if someone has filled it up then this sounds reasonable.

The bad news is that the only way to cure it is to cut it out and start with fresh metal.

1jack car and remove wheel.

2 remove all filler etc, basically you need to grind/cut all offending metal away until you have good metal.

3 I promise that when you start grinding, the problem will be a hell of a lot worse - rust travels under paint.

4 you will thaen need to determine weather a wheel arch panel will do, or weather its a new wing.

5 assuming a repair panel will suffice, offer up and cut to suit

6 tack in place(mig) and hammer until fit is ok

7 weld seam, working on small areas alternating each end of the panel to minimise distorsion.

8 apply brushable seam sealer and then fill and spray etc.

Good luck - but dont settle for another bodge or it will beback in no time!! I promise