ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Budget Zoom Lens for Canon 550D?

Impreza Wagon
I've recently been shooting some equestrian events with the kit lens (55-300) and I find it to be very poor quality. It's the non IS version and shooting without a tripod gets some terrible shots!

I need to invest in a new lens with IS so get some crisper photos without the need of a tripod. It doesn't have to 55-300 but the minimum would be 200.

Budget is £100/150 so second hand is my only option, any help is appreciated :)

Ay Ay Ron

ClioSport Club Member
Canon 55-250 ISII brand new from play.com for £149 I think.
For the money, I'd say it is unbeatable!

​All of my Oulton park BSB were shot with it on a 550d.

Impreza Wagon
Thanks all, I'll check out all the options and see what's going to be the best in the long run. My minds telling me 70-300 but my wallets not haha

Another vote for 55-250.
Had similar requirements and budget for a zoom lens and it couldn't have been a better choice!

I used the 55-250mm for equestrian and it yielded some excellent results which made me some cash too.

Impreza Wagon
I used the 55-250mm for equestrian and it yielded some excellent results which made me some cash too.

That's my plan! The last couple of 1 day events I've been to have had no photographers or stupidly over priced ones.

I boxed this up when I put it up for sale and forgot all about it until this thread, so it's been sitting in it's box for 2 years lol

Make me a sensible offer and it's yours - http://www.cliosport.net/forum/show...on-70-300mm-F4-5-6-Canon-Fit&highlight=tamron

I'm not sure this would be suitable due to it not having IS?

Have a browse through this -> http://photography-on-the.net/forum/showthread.php?t=146426&page=100

You'll be selling stuff you don't need just to get it
Every reviewer of it got so confused. It's 90% the quality of the 70-300L but at under 1/3rd the price

That thread is a good read, some of the shots are really good. I'm going to get saving and I'm pretty sure I'll invest in one later in the year or over the winter.

In the mean time I'm going to try and pick up a 55-250 as mentioned above and try and make some money to buy the 70-300.

Thanks for the help so far everyone :)

That's because the old 70-300 didn't have USM and was s**t. People mix reviews up

The new one has USM and the same IS system as used on the L lenses

But that 55-250 at that price is INSANE. I'm even thinking of grabbing one to keep me going till I buy the L lens

koi

Audi S1
Got the 18-55 STM lens with my new camera, absolutely silent when focussing. Was going to sell it on but just going to keep it when i can't be bothered with the weight of my 17-55mm IS USM.