ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Buget tyres on 172!!

Ok Please dont dismiss this as a Dumb ass post.....

I drive Loads of miles and ive gotta replace the Contis after only 9k miles, now ive been out and im not too pleased how much 4 decent tyres cost if im gunna be changing them 3 times per year!. If for examplei fitted some sh*te kumhos or hannoks, how little grip would they give me??

Also If i put 17s with 205/40/17 tyres on it (package for £600) would these last longer as they are bigger tyres? in the long run would i save money(and have some nice shiney wheels)

Thanks Rob

some 205 40 17 tyres are cheaper simply due to the fact its a more common size than the 195 45 16s as for larger tyres equalling longer life that wont be the case, the factors that effect lifespan are driving style and tyre compound, you will normally have to trade lifespan for grip or vice versa, as a rule a long lasting harder tyre will not grip as well as a softer shorter lifespan tyre, you did well to get 9k out of the tyres mine only lasted 6k and have heard of them oly lasting 3k on the front

oh ive already swoped the backs with fronts.

Had a very close near miss coz of the "ahhm" slicks on the rear!!! so im thinking of changing before it getss wet again!!

DO NOT go for KHUMOs. They are like concrete, last for ages, but have no grip whatsoever!!! Especially as winter is coming, you dont want to end up in a ditch just because of a few quid! Falken / hankook / avon / toyos all much better if you want cheaper tyres.

I say go for the very cheapest tyres you can find and then count the savings you have made as you spin into a tree on the first wet corner you come to.

Not really, obviously, but when you consider that tyres are the only thing between you and the road, surely buying quality tyres must make sense.

Im probably talking out of my arse as im not really that mechanically minded, as some of my previous posts may have already intimated, but there are just things that arent worth scrimping on.

Just my $0.02,

Face

Skoda Fabia vRS

go for Uniroyal Rainsports, very competent in the dry and very good in the wet, they wont break the bank either

your local Motor World should have some decent prices on Yokohama tyres at the moment, i work for em in St Helens and last time i called we had some crackin deals on.........in 195/45/15.....Yoko AVS Sport - £51 each !

2005 Audi A3 3.2 Quattro

Toyo Proxes F-08 are pretty decent for budget tyres.

Pity you guys dont get Dunlop SP7000s there as they are awesome with regard to grip and are cheap to (probably because they are locally manufactured) and the best thing is they are the fastest rated road tyres in the world...tested to 450km/h (280mph)...Ill be putting these on my car next:)