ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Bumper rub strip

Oyster Card
Will probably regret posting this as I might well get some stick.

Reparing a scuff on my bumper I got overspray on the black rub strip which runs along the top of the bumper.
So I decided to safe cut it, why? dunno lol. It's obviously taken the top layer off and now the section of the bump strip which had overspray on is very very dull and blotchy even applying back to black etc.. does nothing as it's so far gone.

It gets better..

I've "sorted" it by spraying it with black laquer i.e tinting spray, it actually looks quite good and shiny but it will obviously flake sooner rather than later.

I was wondering how hard will it be to respray the black bump strip, I don't want to take the bumper off as thats a mission in an ideal world I'd like to just spray the bit that needs doing, I remember Halfrauds selling some "bumper spray" now I wasn't thinking of butchering my bumper at the time so I didn't really take note of it, is this what I require how easy will it be to match the rest of the bump strip it's just the standard none painted black with the dodgy rough touch finish.

Oh Btw. the safecut got rid of the overspray... result ;)

Chocolate Bar™
dont use halfords bumper repair, as i found it wasnt as good as normal matt black spray. Rub it down, prime it as normal, and then spray it with the matt black, no need to laquer and will give u an oe, non fade finish. i did this on my splitter and i'm really happy with the results, i've got a thread on media pics and video with pics of my car, if you wanna have a look at the results give it a view ;)

Oyster Card
Heres the current state of my bumper.

As you can see the black trim is in a pretty sorry state, what do you think the best way of restoring this would be?
If I was to get some Matt Black spray would I need to do the whole bump strip or just the left hand side bit which needs doing.

I'm thinking mask the area off with a little excess of decent bumpstrip and blend the new spray in and once it's all been polished will it blend in with the rest of the bumper trim?

I think thats the standard matt black bumpstrip color? it's been heavly autoglymed to make it as shiny as possible.

I only want to make it respectable until I can afford a brand new bumper as this ones got a dent in.

P.S: I know it's not a Clio and I shouldn't really be posting it here but I trust the views of people on this site.
Hell what does it matter really, It's a Clio at heart.
French, rattles all over, parts like to fall off.

Chocolate Bar™
take the bumpstrip off mate, its much easier, prob get away with doing just the one side, depends on the colour match. To be honest its prob cheaper to buy a replacement set off ebay than a load of spray

Oyster Card
Quite a mission I've heard as the actual black bumpstrip is a part of the bumper meaning that will need to come off.

I'm thinking of masking all the black off on the front bumper and spraying from the far right side as shown in the picture to about half way down the driverside light, it all depends on how well the spray blends in.

Oyster Card
Lol if it was belive me it'd have fallen off long ago.

Indeed it is a bit of a job, I might be better just looking out for a silver bumper or even any color VTR bumper, masking over the black bits and spray the actual color coded bit to my silver.
Funny thing is I could get a body kit bumper cheaper but the idea of having a snow plough on the front doesn't appeal.