ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Burpspeed Version 2: Race Car Build

EVOgone

ClioSport Club Member
  Pink Cup Racer
Yes I've gone that way this winter Evogone, looking forward to seeing the difference, just got to wait for my powdercoating to dry....

You will notice it under braking as there a big jump there also as if the diff nice and tight you will have to really try to lock it up..!!!

Clio 182 Race Car
Im not at liberty to say
It’s no secret really; I fitted Icemans old engine over the winter, running Jenvey ITB’s on Omex 600 - 213 BHP & 167 lbft
Gearbox is fitted with Quaife and short 5[SUP]th[/SUP]. I have run FWD cars on plate diffs, they are better but only if you keep them maintained (which I never did!) Quaife is a significant improvement over the standard diff and costs nothing once it’s fitted.

Cup In bits
It’s no secret really; I fitted Icemans old engine over the winter, running Jenvey ITB’s on Omex 600 - 213 BHP & 167 lbft
Gearbox is fitted with Quaife and short 5[SUP]th[/SUP]. I have run FWD cars on plate diffs, they are better but only if you keep them maintained (which I never did!) Quaife is a significant improvement over the standard diff and costs nothing once it’s fitted.

Like every racer has said here with a Quaife, there a improvement but a compromise for competition. I understand the servicing thing, I just noticed a few cars spinning everywhere recently which defeats the purpose for me personally.

​ Ahrite okay, I wondered where that had went. It only made 213bhp :S I thought Iceman had 230 odd out of it?

182cup & 172 racecar
It's just figures at the end of the day, it goes well, that will do.

Lol at compromise for competition, why haven't I got a 250bhp engine?, because it would unreliable and would need rebuilding 4 times a year.
It's all about money, if you have got loads, then crack on I say.

​Unfortunately I haven't, and would rather spend my money on another entry fee or a set of tyres, that's the reason I haven't got in on the fibreglass doors, yes great weight saving, but that would be an entry fee and race fuel for the day, how much quicker would it make me??

Cup In bits
Fair enough I neither have loads of money and would be of the same mindset but mine aint built yet so i buy upgrades when I can afford.You pay roughly the same price for both diffs at the end day for a fair bit in difference. I'm not trying to slate yours or anyone's car, just saying I noticed it in that new video probably because you were on the kerbs a bit more usual, chips Bedford video too but I thought that was down to power.

182cup & 172 racecar
Ha, don't worry, I'm not having a go, we got our diff at a very good price(very good), it was that or nothing. Also when we built the car, for a gripper you needed custom drive shafts, and I wasn't prepared to go down that route at the time.

I drove Oli's car (Cub) at Llandow, Gripper diff, and did think to myself 'I fancy one of these', but sense prevails.

Clio 182 Race Car
Ultimately racing is a compromise if you have limited funds. The Clio is a great compromise car, it’s faster than most, handles really well, puts a smile on everyones face, has a great following and is cheap to run. So you can get it out and race it for £1000.00 per race. If you start to add 230HP engines, plate diffs, dog boxes and the like then you still have a fast Clio but now its expensive to run, unreliable and still slower than a well sorted Honda, and if your not careful you have spent your seasons budget and not had it out of the garage!

Last edited:
  182cup & 172 racecar
Ultimately racing is a compromise if you have limited funds. The Clio is a great compromise car, it’s faster than most, handles really well, puts a smile on everyones face, has a great following and is cheap to run. So you can get it out and race it for £1000.00 per race. If you start to add 230HP engines, plate diffs, dog boxes and the like then you still have a fast Clio but now its expensive to run, unreliable and still slower than a well sorted Honda, and if your not careful you have spent your seasons budget and not had it out of the garage!

​EXACTLY!!

Clio 182 Race Car
Like every racer has said here with a Quaife, there a improvement but a compromise for competition. I understand the servicing thing, I just noticed a few cars spinning everywhere recently which defeats the purpose for me personally.

​ Ahrite okay, I wondered where that had went. It only made 213bhp :S I thought Iceman had 230 odd out of it?
I know "only 213" but Mark never quoted more than 210 bhp (said he would have liked 230)

Clio 182 Race Car
Let’s do a quick poll: French trophy race is available, Fuel to race and to get there £100.00, Entry fee £300.00, Meals and stuff £20.00. I have £420.00 in spare cash and no way can I borrow any more. I have a number of options, race the Clio on its wets (as the Direzza 03Gs are knackered), race it on the knackered 03G’s, buy 2 new 03G’s @ £170.00 each and spend £80.00 on painting the bumper, do nothing; save another £260.00 and buy 4 Direzzas, there’s loads of other things that you can do with your £420.00 ( I for one would rent a lady-boy for the weekend and take it to the best restaurant in Worcester just to see their faces!)

Cup In bits
Ha, don't worry, I'm not having a go, we got our diff at a very good price(very good), it was that or nothing. Also when we built the car, for a gripper you needed custom drive shafts, and I wasn't prepared to go down that route at the time.

I drove Oli's car (Cub) at Llandow, Gripper diff, and did think to myself 'I fancy one of these', but sense prevails.

you have already had the outlay on Quaife so I guess it makes sense to get your money's worth from it.

What your saying is racecars aren't show cars, get out there and race what you have!

I know "only 213" but Mark never quoted more than 210 bhp (said he would have liked 230)

Might be where I pulled that from then, ain't it forged with 421's though?

don't knock it 'till you tried it! (last time it only cost me £380.00 all in!)

Expensive!! up my way your sister will dine for free, webbed toes are useful after all.

Cup In bits
Sure there nearly as wild as you can go with standard pistons but combined with forged high comp pistons you would be looking for more, I'm sure he uprated valves and springs too.

Clio 182 Race Car
I think that you will find that the regs are based on the original engine capacity - the fact that mines bored out to 2500cc is irrelevant

Cup In bits
I think that you will find that the regs are based on the original engine capacity - the fact that mines bored out to 2500cc is irrelevant

Lol that would turn into a 1 cylinder engine at that capacity.

I seems I need to re-read Iceman's thread.