ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Burpspeed Version 2: Race Car Build

Greeny.

ClioSport Club Member
  440i + 182
I also need to get my geometry done again, its fgone out in 5k's worth of road driving :/

Cars looking good as ever mate :)

Fantastic day, Cant say thank you enough to Jay & Tony.

The car is a real credit to you both.

Many thanks again.

Justin

172 Race Car
Helped by the fact that we stuck the car on the track and it worked without any dicking about.

The best its ever been in fact. Only minor tweeks needed.

172 Race Car
Quick little vid from yesterday. Have got some in ca footage from the wet morrning sessions but it was recorded on my old Go-Pro so quality not the best. May uplod later.

Full report on the day to follow

Last edited by a moderator:
  172 Race Car
Look at the concentration on that face..............

DSC_7402.jpg

182cup & 172 racecar
Hard to tell as the car was all over the place at Oulton,but it's got to have done as it feels so much more stable now,esp on "turn in".

172 Race Car
Wednesday 4th August 2010 - Silverstone Trackday

Today we went along to the trackday organised by Renaultsport at our home circuit of Silverstone. We will be racing on the national layout in a months time so it was ideal for us to learn the circuit.

We had invited several guests along for the day, people who have helped and supported us. To keep them well fed our 'Team nutritionist' Helen had made lots of sandwiches and nibbles. We arrived early at the circuit to set up for the day.

252.jpg
7274.jpg

Around 9am we went off on our sighting laps. A few slow laps behind an instructors car to show you the layout, its something they always do at track days. Tony drove and I jumped in the passenger seat. The car felt ok but at slow speeds it was hard to tell.

Matt from Tour-De-Force popped in to update the software on our EC1 ECU. We kept him supplied with RedBull and pork pies whilst he worked his magic. It still needs to go back on the rollers when we have time, as the map still isn't finished from when the alternator broke.

7374.jpg

At 10am the circuit opened, some of our guests went off for a little drive in the Renaultsport/Silverstone cars with instructors and me and Tony went for some laps in the race car.

Straight away we noticed the difference. The car was so much more stable under braking than before and drove perfectly straight. The geometry setup had worked wonders. Tony started to push the car and I got a little worried. I didn't think I could drive it that fast. This was the first time we had been in a car together for about a year, since we stopped doing track days to build the race car. I had lost a lot of confidence in the car after Oulton.

Then it started to rain. I had a few laps with Tony in the passenger seat and started to get used to the car again. It wasn't that bad in the slippery conditions with the Dunlop's on. That pleased us as we had never driven the car in the wet before so had no idea what to expect.

7342.jpg
7363.jpg

Tony took one of our guests out for a ride and it had started to get quite slippery. On their 2nd lap the throttle stuck open at the end of the straight at 120mph. One of the return springs had come loose and jammed the throttle open, how ironic, as its supposed to be there to prevent that. A very quick fix and the car was back out.

It started to get a little too wet, with plenty of standing water. With a few red flags and cars hitting the pit wall we decided to fit our 'Wet Weather' tyres. We had a set of Michelin road tyres to try. They worked quite well, giving the car a very safe understeer balance. As the weather got worse the organisers decided to call the lunch break early and wait for the weather to clear.

7444.jpg

After lunch the track was drying fast, we stayed on the road tyres for a little too long. They started to complain and melt. Swapping back to the Dunlop DZ03's brought my confidence back. The car was fantastic. The best it had ever been. We were so pleased with the balance.

7851.jpg

We did some tyre temperature readings and after a quick call to Curtis at AST, dropped the front pressures slightly. He recommended altering the front from toe in, to toe out, but we didn't have the means to do that at the circuit.

We spent the rest of the day pounding round and continuing to give passenger rides. Tony had an instructor with him for a run and he was impressed with the car. He showed Tony some different lines we could take when racing but overall he said we were doing ok.

7370.jpg
7604.jpg

7437.jpg
7384.jpg

We went out together again at the end with me behind the wheel. Id been carrying too much speed into Brooklands all afternoon and Tony helped me correct that. 5 minutes before the day ended the car spluttered around Copse, it had run out of fuel. There was just enough left to make it back to the pits. Both very, very pleased with how the day had gone. 2 steps forward without taking a step back for a change.

As we were packing up we noticed that the alternator had lost a bolt. Dam thing! So thats one job before the next race. Also the rear wheel bearings have reached the end of their life so they need replacing too. We may leave the setup exactly as it is for now, we know we can drive it like this and don't want to make a change that will affect anything. Basically we now have the car how it should of been at he start of the season so will probably stop and leave it at this spec and develop it more over the winter when we can do some testing. Lets go enjoy the rest of the season.

7488.jpg

172 Race Car
Wrote it a few days ago. Seeing the pics again made me realise how awsome it looks with the spacers on. And reminded me how great it is to drive now. Cant wait to race at Mallory

Black 172
my boyfriend has you on video infront of him for one lap, will send a link when its uploaded. Its from around 4 / 4:30 in the afternoon at silverstone

Qashcow
great write up again boys, you do not realise how sour i still am at work!! my boss hasnt even had a 'hello' from me yet...

Cannot wait for Mallory now, only 2 weeks :)

172 Race Car
More than welcome to come along and cheer us on mate. Normaly about a tenner to get in to most of the circuits we race at