ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Burpspeed Version 2: Race Car Build

182cup & 172 racecar
Short update

Wind, more wind, ripped gazeebo, even more wind, sort of BBQ (in wind), sleep badly in wind, wake up very early in gale force winds and rain.

Wind, wind , wind, another bad night because of wind. Car didn't handle very well (put it down to wind).

Finish 4th, scuppered by safety car which cancelled our super fast pit stop, can't have everything, apart from that, good weekend.

Thanks to,
Nick
Mike
Mikes Dad Pete
Matt
Helen
My face is glowing, from guess what, wind.

182cup & 172 racecar
They've got one of those fan things that generate electricity in the paddock, the speed it was going, it could have done the whole of the north of England.

And it made a racket, whoooshing around all night.

Well done guy's :) Really happy for you both as always! Thanks also for the company over the weekend which kept a smile on my face plus keeping my tummy happy with food :) Can't wait for Mallory and I'm sure you will get a good result there too!

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Good 'win some and lose some' attitude you have about the safety car , lesser men would be bitching about it.

Saab 93 Aero Wagon
So, in summary, you suffered all day because you had bad wind Tony? ;) Another strong result lads. The thing is now you'll both be expecting top 3 finishes or better from now on with your current form. I heard there were some understeer issues to contend with though.

Picked up Nick today to go meet a potential sponsor for next year and he looked like a sodding beetroot! Wind on a costal circuit with all that salt in the air must have some bearing on the track conditions surely?

Last edited:
  182cup & 172 racecar
Yes Ollie a lot, but also some down to the car, mix the two together and not very nice.

We could have spent another £250 testing on the Friday and still ended up 4th, so all's good really.

172 Race Car
It was going to be a close finish as Nigel Tounge in the 306 had about 1/3rd lap lead over Ainge/Jordan but had to come through the pits with a problem late on in the race.

172 Race Car
Anglesey Race Report

Our 3rd trip to Anglesey and a meeting we really enjoy. The last 2 seasons the weather had been brilliant with warm temperatures and clear sky’s, with only a damp qualifying session last year. This year however the weather was not quite so welcoming. Tony travelled up on Thursday to be at the circuit to help James testing on Friday morning. The weather was really bad during the night with high winds and rain. Myself, Nick and Matt travelled up on Friday morning and arrived around 2 pm. The wind was mental, any thoughts of a normal weekend went out the window, there was no way we could put up the gazeebo and a bbq was out of the question. We decided to prep the car as much as we could that evening, not knowing what the weather would do the next day. After dinner in the Pitstop Cafe, we walked the circuit to admire the views under clear sky’s, the sun was out now but it was still very windy.

pitstop-cafe.jpg
church.jpg

Comendering the scrutieneering bay to set up camp was a good idea. Trying to sleep next to a wind turbine in high winds was not.

safer-camping.jpg
img-20120630-00300.jpg

Next morning the sun was trying to break through and the wind had died down a little. We had no idea what the weather would do as different forecasts said very different things. As qualifying approached it looked like staying dry so we switched to the Dunlops. Qualifying was the full 30 minutes so I was first out for a 5-6 lap run just to get tyres and brakes warmed up. The car felt strange but I put it down to us running new tyres all round. I pitted for a tyre pressure check and went back out to push on a bit. The car felt too easy to lock the brakes and very reluctant to turn in. I pitted again and handed over to Tony who set our quickest lap and got us 7th on the grid despite a slight excursion on one of his laps.

qualiangle.jpg
excursion-e1341330007176.jpg

We were slower than we had been last year with the old engine. Some head scratching to be done in the paddock afterwards. While we were going through our pre race prep we found the exhaust tail pipe had departed the system and the flames on overrun had set fire to the bumper foam. An easy fix to clamp the tail pipe back on but we will have to get a welder on it when back at base. We decided to make a change to the rear ride height to try to dial out some understeer, it wasn’t going to be enough but we didn’t want to make too big a change without testing it.

melted-bumper.jpg
tailpipe-fell-off.jpg

Race time approached and there were some dark clouds gathering out to sea. We lined up next to the pit wall in P7 and waited for the lights. The Peugeot ahead started to move before the lights went out and I almost reacted, I got a good launch and exited the first corner 4th with the 306 beside me. I took an outside line around The Banking and had to tuck in behind into Church. The Focus sneaked through at this point and I just saw him at the last second. So 6th at the end of lap 1 with a very fast group in front. I tried to hang onto them but the car was only slightly better than in qualifying and a real pig to get into the corners.

start.jpg
dropping-back.jpg

I was aware of the red Focus in my mirrors a few laps later and could see the 306 behind him recovering from a drive through penalty. I didn’t fight too much and they both got by on lap 5. With nothing else close behind I got my head down and tried to keep with the Focus, my pace improved by a second per lap and I pegged the gap to him to around 2 seconds for the next few laps. It began to spit with rain at the top of the hill so I was being a little careful. The Focus began to get a little ragged as the pitstops neared, a few lockups and ran wide a few times. the rain didn’t come to anything and stopped after a few laps and I had closed to just over 1 second as he pitted.

inevitable.jpg
gap-pegged-e1341330335727.jpg

We were going 2 laps longer and I had clear track. I made a small mistake on the last part of the corkscrew on my in lap but didn’t loose much time, our stop was another quick one and we rejoined 10 seconds ahead of the red Focus in 4th place. 2 laps into Tonys stint the safety car was deployed for an incident at the top of the hill. That meant the Livens Civic and red Focus we’d jumped in the pits coul catch up. Andy Jordan was now in the #85 Integra and he was back in the pack so we knew Tony would have a fight on his hands to keep the position. We had now moved up to 3rd place with the safety car shuffle but with several quick cars behind and lot of lapped cars to negotiate when it went green. Lap 21 and it was back to green flag racing. By the end of the lap Tony had got by all the slower cars and was now 2 seconds behind the white Focus. Andy Jordan had made his way through the traffic also and passed on the next lap.

safety-car.jpg

Tony kept within 2 seconds of the Woods Focus but the front tyres were going off badly with the poor handling of the car and the understeer was getting worse. A few laps later and Mark in the black Civic was on his tail as a few more spots of rain started to appear on the windscreen. He had been about a second quicker than us this weekend and with still about 5 laps to go he would be hard to hold back. On lap 25 they came up to lap a Class D Fiesta, Mark went right and Tony went left into an ever closing gap, It was a tight squeeze but he made it though and hung on to 4th place but only untill the start of the next lap. With so much more grip he sneaked by as Tony ran wide at the first corner. The car was horrible by now. Mark in the Civic set off after the Focus for the final podium position, all Tony could do was hope they slowed each other down fighting. Nigel in the 306 who was leading, drove through the pits with a problem late on in the race promoting us back up to 4th position.

tight-squeeze.jpg
focus-and-civic-battle-e1341330304966.jpg

So that was it, 4th sounds like a good result and it is. But if the car was at the pace we know it should have been we’d of been happy with that. But with not doing pre-race testing this year we were on the back foot. The front tyres were a real mess after the race, really showing that the setup was miles off. I enjoyed the race as always but on reflection knew how much more fun we would have had with a decent car setup. Our fastest lap was 0.5 second slower than last season. At Brands and Silverstone we were 1 second quicker than before.

A big thanks to everyone helping out at the weekend. Helen, Nick, Mike, Pete and Matt taking the photos.

So a long summer break for us now. Holidays and work commitments mean we won’t be racing again now until late August at traditionally one of our strongest circuits. Mallory Park.

Audi A3 TDI 170 B.E.
The cafe was closed Saturday evening found a fish and chip shop down the road. Which was closing 10 mins after we got there.

Good write up again watch full race video, was that shame about that safety car although 4th is a good result being on Malloy park!

340i
Nice write up, Jay.. A shame to hear about the car, but alteast you have plenty of prep time before Mallory!

I'll more than likely come to the Mallory race :)

172 Race Car
For those who havent seen it, heres Markcup's brilliant video following us for a day at Brands Hatch

Last edited by a moderator:
  182cup & 172 racecar
What's going on fella's its all gone a bit quiet? Mallory and Donington soon?

Testing next Wed at Mallory, then the race is on Sunday 26th Aug, BH weekend.

Nothing to report really, just new discs and pads, spanner checked, alignment done and sat on trailer waiting to go.:)

182cup & 172 racecar
Been back in business today with a little test session at Mallory.

The weather was kind to us all morning, so was very productive. :approve:

Good to see Pete toasty and Mark also going well, couldn't get them off the circuit.

172 Race Car
Mallory Test 2012

After our slightly disappointing weekend in Anglesey and summer break, we move on to one of our favourite tracks for racing, Mallory Park. Its been a kind place to us over the last few seasons, despite mechanical issues. Last year we gained our best ever grid position of 3rd and finished 3rd. We really enjoy the short and fast layout.

During the summer break we have tried to address the setup issues we suffered at Anglesey. We’ve gone back to what we know with geometry and damper settings and spent a lot of time getting it all right. We felt it wise to test prior to race day.

So Wednesday we went along to the morning test session. There were quite a few Cscc members in attendance and the weather was looking hit or miss. The rain expected to start falling around lunch time. Tony went out first to bed in some new front brakes and get a basic idea of how the car felt.

img-20120815-00420.jpg

When we got back to the paddock we noticed our tyre pressure gauge wasn’t going back to zero. We borrowed another and discovered ours was under reading by 8psi. If it was like that at Anglesey that would partly explain our handling woes and high tyre wear. So we binned it and reset the pressures using a known good gauge. I went out for a run and quickly got up to speed. The car had a slight understeer balance but the pace was good. For the 3rd and final run we fitted a new pair of front tyres to get them scrubbed and made some damper adjustments. Tony took the car out as the grey clouds started to get darker.

img-20120815-00421.jpg
img-20120815-00423.jpg

A few spots of rain started to fall but the car was going well with a better balance. Once we felt we’d learned enough we called it a day as there was no need to pound around for another half an hour till the end of the test.
The rain came down heavy as we were in the cafe having lunch. So we got lucky. Really looking forward to the race in 10 days time. Great to be back in the car and have it go well again.

Video to follow when its uploaded