ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Buyer from Spain, should I be avoiding or going with it?

Clio 172 Monaco blue
I have a guy who says he interested in my car, just a forum user who buys cars and if we reach an agreement then the guy who's transporting it will pay me the money!! Any advice would be grateful:)

Clio 172 Monaco blue
Ask for payment in cash on collection?
Then no concern of yours what country it goes to?
That's what I thought but just needed some advice on it before I agree, I don't have to pay export fees or anything like that do I? Just read all these stories of buyers abroad ripping off uk sellers etc, and just want piece of mind before I commit to it.
thank you

Suzuki Jimny
Wouldn't be too worried if it was genuine. The 172's sell in france/spain for so much more than here!

Lotus Elise
Ask for a healthy deposit and be cautious and sensible really. I've bought cars from abroad and sold them too there are a lot genuine and helpful people out there. Not everyone is trying to rip you off.

Make sure you notify the DVLA that it is going abroad the new owner may need to keep the entire V5, for example this happens if you sell a car to someone exporting it to the Isle of Man. The DVLA will help you regarding what docs need to be transferred. I've just taken deposit from a guy in Australia who is buying my car and we both signed a fairly comprehensive bill of sale and arranged a date to collect, ulitmately though don't count your eggs until all the cash is transferred and the docs are all sorted.

Clio 172 Monaco blue
The guy in question has said that the transport guy will be my point of contact who hands over the cash and I don't get to meet the buyer, am still unsure of it but may be legit, doesn't sound as if he wants to put a deposit down, just collect the car and pay! Thanks guys do appreciate your input on this

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
If he doesnt want to pay a deposit, just assume he is a messer until you see his money, if you have had zero cash in your hand you have zero reason to remove the car from sale.

Just be up front with him and explain that you wont hold the car without a deposit, so if he wants to start arranging collection without a deposit he has to accept that if the first person to you with the cash isnt his collection agent then he might lose the car.

Clio 172 Monaco blue
If he doesnt want to pay a deposit, just assume he is a messer until you see his money, if you have had zero cash in your hand you have zero reason to remove the car from sale.

Just be up front with him and explain that you wont hold the car without a deposit, so if he wants to start arranging collection without a deposit he has to accept that if the first person to you with the cash isnt his collection agent then he might lose the car.
Good point and he has a Facebook page about his buying cars etc, shall try and put a link up, if it's not gone by the end of April I may keep it but would rather it went tbh

Sir_Dave

ClioSport Trader
I have a guy who says he interested in my car, just a forum user who buys cars and if we reach an agreement then the guy who's transporting it will pay me the money!! Any advice would be grateful:)

Is it a new "forum user" or an existing, long term "member", naturally that makes a difference. Personally, id want a deposit at least. Bank transfer would also be preferable, as cash could be fraudulent, especially if its just from a delivery guy/pikey that is coming to collect your car.

I work on "gut feeling" generally, so im sure yours is telling you something.

Westfield, 182, 200
There are some valid points on here although I'm surprised 172's are cheaper over here, especially as it will be right hand drive in a left hand drive country.
Personally, I'd expect a small deposit, but I don't like to take risks!

Clio 172 Monaco blue
He's a forum user but pm me last night, minutes after I put the car up for sale, asking if it was still for sale! I'd rather have a deposit cash or transfer and like yourself I don't tend to take risks, I can't afford losing the money for the car in some dodgy deal!

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
If his name is Luke and his surname begins with M, he's legit. I've dealt with him.

He transfers the money to the transport company, they pay you cash on collection.

Nice guy and very easy to deal with.

He's starting a trackday business out there.

Clio 172 Monaco blue
If his name is Luke and his surname begins with M, he's legit. I've dealt with him.

He transfers the money to the transport company, they pay you cash on collection.

Nice guy and very easy to deal with.

He's starting a trackday business out there.
Oh really? At least someone has dealt with him and cheers for that Daniel, once the transport guy collects the car and what happens to the v5 etc?

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
Oh really? At least someone has dealt with him and cheers for that Daniel, once the transport guy collects the car and what happens to the v5 etc?

Give him the v5, but you send off the export slip. It's the purple bit on the v5. Very straight forward.

It will get collected on a 10 car transporter so it won't be going through any speed cameras or anything.

Clio 172 Monaco blue
Give him the v5, but you send off the export slip. It's the purple bit on the v5. Very straight forward.

It will get collected on a 10 car transporter so it won't be going through any speed cameras or anything.
Sweet, I didn't realise it was that simple tbh, thanks for your help and it's made me feel a lot better about it knowing he's legit and not a scammer!

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
Sweet, I didn't realise it was that simple tbh, thanks for your help and it's made me feel a lot better about it knowing he's legit and not a scammer!

I did some digging on him too as I was also a bit sceptical. He's actually a fairly talented racing driver according to google, aren't you Luke? ;)

CrippsCorner

ClioSport Club Member
  Astra VXR
My Impreza went to Poland, brother's Impreza went to Germany... got no problem dealing with foreigners!

172 Turbo
I put a motorbike for sale and got a message within 5 minutes asking if I'd sell it for more than asking price.

Then came the message explaining it would be exported and I thought here we go.

Next day, bloke turns up throws bike in van with 3 others and off it goes to Poland. Turns out he was driving people over and then taking back high mileage motorbikes.

Clio 172 Monaco blue
I put a motorbike for sale and got a message within 5 minutes asking if I'd sell it for more than asking price.

Then came the message explaining it would be exported and I thought here we go.

Next day, bloke turns up throws bike in van with 3 others and off it goes to Poland. Turns out he was driving people over and then taking back high mileage motorbikes.
That's funny as!! I like that!
My advert that was locked has been removed!?

Clio 172 Monaco blue
Despite my car for sale advert being removed when it was locked, my car is still for sale £1000