ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Buying A 172 From Motorpoint

Turbo'd MX-5 MK4

If i was to buy a 172 from Motorpoint (for 11,999) are they import cars? and therefore would it be a pain to insure.

Gaz,

GR7

Shiny red R32

Imports are so common, that they are absolutely no problem to insure, as long as they are UK spec!

ICE'dberg MK2 172

You will have no problem insuring an import. Our insurance Co...Norwich Union Direct £390!!!....didnt even stipulate an alarm, only an immobiliser!!!!!
Besides, they are the same cars that are destined for the UK, all thats missing is an alarm.

Motorpoint prices are not on-the-road prices.....just add RFL & plates & "valet"...MMmmm wipe the dust they mean..LOL! but for £11999 its a steal and they have 3 instock at the moment. Go and look, its like being in a sweet shop when you were a kid!!

Turbo'd MX-5 MK4

how old are you ppl who own these 172s, motorpoints are £11,999, sod the valeting fee cos they probably only scratch it anyway, CAT 1 £399, so about £12,500, going to get rid of my 60bhp 1.2 and get one ASAP!!

Gaz,

Scirocco GT TSi DSG

Got mine from Motorpoint, not a bad company as car dealers go. Their alarm will bring your insurance down, mine went down £80 a year, £0 if it was the Renult one. Eagle Star insured mine, never asked if it was an import even when I told them it came with another type of Cat1 alarm, as the car is UK spec.

Motorpoint took 2 weeks to get my car plus they come with Traction Control , made them put this on the vehicle spec when I bought it, and the dame thing wont wheel spin.

You may be able to get the alarm fitted cheaper elsewhere.

What colour you thinking of as silver is only £11599?

Turbo'd MX-5 MK4

i am definately going to get a silver one, but how come they take 2 weeks to get? is that because they have to order one from overseas? if they have one in stock can i just take that?

The best insurance quote i can find so far is from Tesco, 21, 2 years ncb, 3 points sp30, fully comp, £1,457.40. (£126 a month) what do you think?

cheers
Gaz

Scirocco GT TSi DSG

Dont know exactly, they need to get it registered, taxed etc. You may be able to get it quicker, ring them up and ask, but when I ordered mine last month they said it would take 2-3 weeks. It was ready for collection after one week, but I had to wait another week to find the time to collect it.

Turbo'd MX-5 MK4

my insurance is up on the clio ive got at the moment so i need to move pretty quickly, going to look at a silver one in burnley tommorow, mine is up for sale if anyone is interested, its the first clio in the others gallery, blue mtv.

Gaz,

Turbo'd MX-5 MK4

Joe, how come yours was only £10,999, they are £11,999, then i want a CAT 1, tax registration, approx £12,700. Also, do you know if they register them abroad or whether they are UK registered cars, because some companies wont insure foreign registered vehicles. Cheers, Gaz.

Ps. How long did you have to wait for yours??

Gaz,

Turbo'd MX-5 MK4

also joe, how old are you? and what do you pay for insurance a year? (if you dont mind), best i can get so far is tesco: £1457.40

Gaz,

Hi Gaz,

Bought in May this year.

£10,999

including on the road costs (plates, reg, valet etc.. 11,250.

they did charge me 500 for year 2 n 3 warranty originally, but this is not required as your car will have a full 3 years warranty from reno.

age 45. = cheapo insurance..

re the cat 1.. huh ??.. why fit one.. dont bother, waste of time and money.

the only way someone takes your car is with the keys !.

My insurance didnt ask.. if they did I would have told them it had the reno RAID device (Which it has)...

the vehicle is registered in the UK.

I had to wait a total of 48 hours.

Joe

Turbo'd MX-5 MK4

i need to have a decent alarm system installed, ive a got a £2000 dvd and navigation system to go in it, and its not a face-off jobby. The car will attract quite a bit of attention i should imagine, the last thing i need is a smashed window and £2000 worth of kit gone, thanks for the info joe, its very helpful and much appreciated. I take it you got yours from the Burnley motorpoint then, i am going there in a bit to take a look at a silver one they have in stock.

Gaz,

Turbo'd MX-5 MK4

i phoned motorpoint, they reckon it will be a minium of 3 weeks before they can get me one.

Scirocco GT TSi DSG

Told you, they seem to have slowed down since the Captain got his. The alarm Motorpoint put in is very good but as I said before you can get them fitted elsewhere for less. I didnt want the bother so Motorpoint did mine and did a very good job.

Turbo'd MX-5 MK4

fraid not, quite the oppostie in fact, phoned motorpoint and they didnt have any in stock for me to look at, but they have taken my number and are going to try and get me one in three weeks (which is ok cos new plate is out then). Found another import place 40 miles away (Northwich) with 6 silver ones in stock (only 1 not spoken for though), so went to have a look, really liked the car, a lot smarter than you think when you see them on the road, on the way to this place there was a black one following down a country road for quite a while, so i went slow to let him pass and hear the roar of the engine and see what it could do, it was very smooth and impressive, so i have fallen in love with the car and REALLY want one. Best ins quote is from tesco and is £1457.40, which i am fine with. Only problem is getting rid of my current modified 1.2, trouble is i have serviced it myself (which buyers do not like), and it is modified quite heavily (which they also do not like). I need around £5000 to break even and get a 172, the fella in the Northwich place offered me a discraceful £3600, but said it was worth around £4500 (which i didnt understand). So i am thinking of selling the private plate on monday, so i can get another standard plate to sell the car with, and am thinking of putting it on autotrader for £5500 ono, without the ICE. Going to be a major pain to sell though i think.

Gaz,

hmmmmmm, not good m8 !

I think you may struggle with the 1.2 with mods.. I just bought my girlfriend an R reg 1.2 paris with 42k on the clock, and, full dealer service history

£2800

the offer of 3600 might actually be good. The reason for the differenc eis that he has to resell it, add a warranty etc etc..

If I was you I would just bite the bullet and go for it... take the bank loan out over another 12 months to balance your affordability ..

Joe..