ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Buying a 172

cDc

182 Arctic Blue
Hi Folks,

Just thought i would say hi - Its been a long long time since I have visited these boards from when I used to own a mark 3 clio 1.2 and I used to live in London. Since then I moved to another part of the UK through work, have settled down and currently drive a '96 Nissan Primera (2 litre SE spec its about 130bhp - its lovely and comfy but its a big heavy car).

Anyway I had promised myself at some point before I was 30 I would get something fun and now I have the opportunity.

I have just been emailed by a local dealer who are getting a mint 2003 clio 172 in silver in stock in the next few days and I have first refusal. Not sure the mileage yet but it will be a lot lower than average for the year. Definitely less than 20k. I am viewing + test driving as soon as they get the car in. Insurance wont be a problem. What do you think is a good price for a car of this age/mileage from a dealer?

Also after any advice on anything in particular to look out for anything thats prone to wear and tear or to look out for on the test drive. I understand that a rattly cat is something to check.

Also I have not ever owned a car more powerful than the primera, can I expect something in a different league in the performance and handling stakes when I drive the 172, I cant wait to get behind the wheel.

my ONLY worry is practicality as the primera has loads of room and i think i would miss having 4 doors as we usually need to get a 5 year old + booster seat in the back + beach stuff in the boot ! Do you find you can live with it ok from day to day? I have a suspicion it will be worth it.

Cheers
cDc

Turbos.
It's not a TVR, you'll be fine driving it. I reckon a dealer would want close to £7k?

There isn't much room in the back for tall adults but otherwise is fine really...

cliobuyer said:
It's not a TVR, you'll be fine driving it. I reckon a dealer would want close to £7k?

There isn't much room in the back for tall adults but otherwise is fine really...
I get two 6'+ers in mine most days.

Ad

MK2 FRS
blast from the past....... remember you having the extreme at the sametime i had mine.

As rob say, 7k should be about its money. Will seem a lot quicker than the primera so worth it:)

cDc

182 Arctic Blue
Haha yes i remember - the extreme went back to the stealer when i moved - someone got a damn fine car it served me well. 7k is less than i was expecting.

M

mij29

I paid £7000 for mine in march, it's on a 02 plate with full service and only 18075miles on at the time of purchase.
I thought it was a bargain at the time.
And my work mates got 1 of those nissan things.... whooped is asss!!