ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Buying a Cup....

Hey people, little newms here, I have this deal with my parents that when i get a fulltime job i can get anycar i like, now i have my eyes set on a clio cup. But the thing is im only 18, Insurance isnt a problem.... And i consider myself to be a safe sensible driver. But is this to much to soon???? Is there anyone on here that has a cup/172 at 18????? If so could i have people apinions plz

Cheers for your help

Little Newms

172, Tiguan

I think weve had the exact same question before. Even to the word. Perhaps use the search and see what you can find.

unsafe id say, i had a carbd up XR2 as my first car that I bought of my m8, knew nothing about cars at the time, but that was no where near cup power even with 45s on, yet it was still too much car too soon. You will get used to the straight line speed quick enough, but the problem you may have is getting carried away when it starts to feel not so quick, so you end up pushing harder than your driving experience and skills will allow... I found out the hard way, dont make the same mistake m8. If you do go for it get some advanced lessons for definite.

Cheers for the advice mate, is it sensible by saying as soon as i get the car i will take it to a track day to learn the limits etc... and how the car acts, i mean its better to crash into the gravel instead lamposts???

On the road i will sensible, i mean u can replace a car, but not your parents son aye???

erm, possibly m8, but that all depends on you. You may get overconfident, or it may make you a better driver. IMO if i listen to fast music I drive faster, same if I have been playing project gotham on the Xbox :oops: lol

your fortunate enough to get a very nice car as your first one, just no showing off in front of the lads/lasses, dont be pushed into doing anything you dont feel you can handle either and you will be fine. what you gotta remember is that although having all that power can get you out of trouble, it can invariably get you into it and the speeds these cars can do makes it double unsafe. give it a few weeks before you really open her up and DONT go belting it round corners in the wet EVER, been in and seen many a decent driver lose control.

you seem sensible enough, im sure you will do fine, happy motoring!

FYI and a note of caution for any male under 30!

I used to work in the insurance business and the actuaries who work out liabilities etc have mortality tables that set out the life expectancy of people at various ages. Well, the average life expectancy - how much longer you have left to live - for men aged 18 to 30 actually goes up (rather than down as youd expect it to as you get older). And this is because of the high number of men in their late teens and twenties who die in car crashes.

Take it easy.

if you want it .. get it.. on the day i turned 19 i bought a tuned wrx impreza . never crashed it in the 3 years i owned it. everyone thought i was gonna kill myself etc but am still here some years later ;) some teenage hardman tried to play chicken with it once though, got me a dented bonnet. thats all the damage it ever saw

Pink & Blue 182, JDM DC2

I had a Cup at 19 and think that was a big mistake. Can I ask at 18 - how you have a Clio V6 Mk1?

CUP CAKE its my brother that has the V6.......

And no i just want any job to put my foot in the door with, to say on my CV that i have experiance, which is what most comapines are after now days....

I can afford the car now i just wont have much ££££ left each month :oops: hence y i need the fulltime job

Little Newms

MarkCup

ClioSport Club Member

Id suggest something a little "tamer". When really pressing on in the Cup it moves about loads, which can be very offputting. It stays where you want it to, but it can (and does) attempt to bite on the odd ocassion, especially if you dont wind off the lock and get back on the throttle quickly enough.

Mark
...and in the wet...without the best rubber on the rear...be carefull...

[Edited by MarkCup on 21 July 2004 at 8:29pm]

im going to state the obvious here but you dont really have to thrash the nuts of it do you ??, just because your 18 doesnt make you an idiot does it ?, you could drive the car sensibly till your used to it, but the cup is a little unforgiving so you would need to be carefull

Fiat Coupe 20v turbo

Go for it I say, if you can afford a Cup at your age you should get one. As long as you take some time to get used to the cars handling/performance and dont be goaded into showing off or racing you should be fine.

not the best car to start off with really, they have a tendancey to be very unforgiving when you get it wrong. Theyre sorted on good roads but they sh*t you up loads when youre doing 50mph down some back roads, they move about more than an agitated snake.

I had a XR2 as my first car which is probably a VTR equal these days - it was fast for its day but a Cup is a fast starting point. I would advise something a bit tamer for 6 months but its all down to you and what you feel. Something Cup speed would have been classed a supercar when I was 18;)

Thanks for all of your feedback.... But im def getting one now, i will be very sensible and treat it like my pride and joy and more!!!!! Well i hope to be seeing all u soon maybe at meetings etc?????? Watch this space and once again thanks for all of the feedback and comments :D

Little Newms

Quote: Originally posted by Newms on 21 July 2004

Thanks for all of your feedback.... But im def getting one now, i will be very sensible and treat it like my pride and joy and more!!!!! Well i hope to be seeing all u soon maybe at meetings etc?????? Watch this space and once again thanks for all of the feedback and comments :D

Little Newms
yeh, just get one and take it steady and get used to it, i dont understand why everyone is against it, as you can drive a cup as slow as you could drive a 1.2 ??

Quote: Originally posted by ClioDan on 21 July 2004

a cup mite be a bit much, why dont you get something slower like a 172!

;)
lmao :p We all know that one the road they are the same :eek: ( a to be cup owner said it ) lol