ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Buying a New HD TV - Advice Please??

Honda. Tesla Someday
Morning Folks!!

Been interested in a 40+ inch Samsung or Sharp.

Thing is, every damn Sharp I find has a low contrast ratio! IS there a difference between the high contrast ratio of Samsungs to the 'dynamic' contrast ratio of Sharps?

Been looking at these two...

SHARP:
http://www.currys.co.uk/martprd/sto...category_oid=-34810#productInformationSection

SAMSUNG:
http://www.currys.co.uk/martprd/sto...category_oid=-34810#productInformationSection

They are both 100Hz, 1080P etc! Sharp is a 42" whereas the Samsung is a 40".

I would buy the Samsung, but I get 50% off Sharps and a free 5 year warranty! BUT I want a great screen.

So, why such a low contrast ratio on the Sharps? Does 'dynamic' ratio mean anything different?

Thank You

As McBunny has said, ignore the contrast ratios, go to a store and view the different sets.

unless your really geeky you will be happy with any tv you like teh look of you only find problems usually when you go looking for them

+ all lcd's and plasmas have faults not one is perfect

Gally

Formerly Mashed up egg in a cup
ClioSport Club Member
unless your really geeky you will be happy with any tv you like teh look of you only find problems usually when you go looking for them

+ all lcd's and plasmas have faults not one is perfect

+1 bunny mate mostly marketing shite the first plasma i bought i read into
it a lot and the guy tried to hit me with all the spiel!
100mhz 1080p laughing mate samsung usually have a nice design
but save money on the sharp and get 5 or 7 surround sound???

Honda. Tesla Someday
Ok, someone in the office just told me to go Plasma!

He said till 32" LCD is fine, but larger than 32" go Plasma as it is more efficient at those sizes!

I was skeptical about going with Plasma due to the 'bad' times they had when they first launched (burn in - short lifespan).

Anybody got any feedback on this?

Gally

Formerly Mashed up egg in a cup
ClioSport Club Member
Ok, someone in the office just told me to go Plasma!

He said till 32" LCD is fine, but larger than 32" go Plasma as it is more efficient at those sizes!

I was skeptical about going with Plasma due to the 'bad' times they had when they first launched (burn in - short lifespan).

Anybody got any feedback on this?

i always said bigger than 32" get plasma and i have two 42" plasma.
but lcd has come forward quite a bit in the last couple of years and there
32"+ screens are fine.
my brother has a 32" lcd and thinks my plasma is far better possibly
due to the screen size.
but imo a plasma is my choice if going over 32"

20VT Clio & 9-5 HOT
Ive just got a panasonic 42" plasma. the picture is great! I was also under teh impression from around 32" upwards the Plasma was better, but I have seen bigger LCD's and Plasmas in the shop and they both looked ace!

Plasma has better blacks though as its not lit up from behind like an LCD.

If you're going 40+ then go for Plasma.

I've had 3 Plasmas (42", 50" and 50") and got one LCD for the bedroom.

What will you be using it for? HD TV? Gaming? PC? Standard Def TV?

Clio 200 Raider
The samsung is the exact tv im looking at you can get it for £680 at dixons with a code.

Ive seen it in action in currys it seems the "blacks" are a lot better than the previous samsung model i have, better colours, a few artifacts on the screen during 100hz playback but overall very nice...

The only model i would consider for me in this screen size without spending ridiculous money is the sony kdlw4500, although the price kinda swings me to the samung. I personally wouldnt touch the Sharp they dont get great reviews..

to be honest just depends how geeky you are both are going to be adequate just depends on your taste

Mk2 Clio dci
If you're going to get that samsung series 7, you may aswell get the series 5 and save £200. Its exactly the same spec, just doesn't have that gash red tint surround! (which is a good thing) I've got this TV and it is really good. Blu-ray and 360 experience is amazing.

If you're going to get that samsung series 7, you may aswell get the series 5 and save £200. Its exactly the same spec, just doesn't have that gash red tint surround! (which is a good thing) I've got this TV and it is really good. Blu-ray and 360 experience is amazing.

The one he's linked to is a series 6 (LE40A656A)

Honda. Tesla Someday
Quick question lads!!

How essential is it for me to get a HDTV WITH 100Hz.

I will be using it for normal TV, HD TV and 360 gaming.

Will 100Hz really make THAT much of a difference?

Looking at 37" and 46" LCD

(LCD because I get 50% off from Sharp).

330Ci (Fail)Sport
My 40" is LCD and I would have got plasma it hadn't had got great reviews, and generally being equally good compared to plasma.

Plasma will generally produce deeper blacks and fast motion looks better. We've had our plasma for over 5yrs, and never had a screen burn or ghosting problem, I don't play games on it but its had plenty of use with sky logos and guide bars and have had things left on pause for quite a while with no issues.

I don't have 100Hz on my 40" LCS but tbh don't notice much difference, to when I had a 32" 100Hz LCD. Contrast I do notice though. I noticed in the shop that the 32" I previously had had lower contrast than some samsungs (visibly saw it, not just looking at specs) and thought it'd be ok anyway. When I got it, I had it on full contrast (think was about 10k) and wished I could put it up more still. My 40" has 33k and I don't need all of it at all. I think after 15-20k you'll be alright tbh, unless you have lots of light coming in, like a sunlight shining directly on it.

330Ci (Fail)Sport
Don't know anything about that TV.

Recent Sharps have been good but not great. Let us know how it is.

Clio 172, Audi A4 S-Line
Just from personal experience.. I bought a lower end Samsung 42" plasma a couple of years ago, and the burn in is pretty terrible on it tbh.

You get what you pay for.. Panasonic do make very good TV's but it depends on budget. I'd personally go for an LCD next time, although I think the colours look much nicer on plasma screens

clio
the old boys just gone and ordered a new tv too so im in the same boat as you! cant wait for it to get here, 42" LG lcd tv with free 5 year warranty and surround sound system

dk

911 GTS Cab
i love television threads, they are just like 360 vs. ps3 and canon vs. nikon.

People always tell you the one they went for is the best as it suited them, doesn't mean to say they were right........

Personally i've always been an LCD man, i cannot say any plasmas i have seen look better, plus there is more choice and therefore competition in the LCD market so there are some great deals and sets out there at the moment.

best advice is to either visit a few shops when buying and see for yourself which ones impress or have a trawl through avforums website, they know what they are talking about over there, but again, its all personal opinions, although there are a lot more opinions to base it on.

I doubt there are very few sets from the leading manufacturers these days which would disappoint!

The only thing you need to hope for is a decent example, as a high percentage of tv's seem to have some slight problem with them, no matter how much you pay, its rather pot luck really!