ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Buying a phase 2 172, right choice?

2001 VW Polo 1.4
Hi All,

I am planning on getting a phase 2 172 in the very near future. It will not be a cup as I want all the extras. I just want to make sure I am making the right choice.

I have seen alot of posts on here about people not being happy with their cars and this worries me as I don't want to end up in the same boat. People have been moaning about the handling, the speed, reliability etc.

I have to be sensible when it comes to price because I have a mortgage to pay. So when deciding on my next car I had to set myself a budget so I am just going to use the money from my previous car and my girlfriend's car (this next car will be for both of us to use as we live very clo se to where we work so no need for a car each).

So the budget is £4k. This does not mean I have to spend the full £4k however. My previous car was a 1996 MR2 N/A, other cars I have owned are 1.9 205 gti, saxo vts & Honda Prelude 2.2 vtec.

Will I be dissapointed with the clio having owned any of the above? Other cars we were considering were 206 gti 180, saxo vts, but we decided on the clio as IMO is a step up from the Saxo and the 206 has bad reviews.

It is very unusual being on a forum where alot of users **** off the car they own. Bearing in mind I have owned a 205 and a Saxo, people on those forums were never so negative. Yes those cars have reliability issues but all in all people never moaned about the handling or speed of those cars.

Advice please guys?

ph1 172
I owned a mk1 valver before hand and now i own a ph1 172 and i am very pleased.

Its not as raw and tight as the mk1 but its 10 times more comfortable/enjoyable to use day to day.

Its like saying that an old mini is good to drive. But none of us would want to drive one to work everyday. The 172 is still as enjoyable to drive and with the abs its more enjoyable and safe to drive in the wet.

Ive driven a 206 which was rubbish and the clio is a cut above the 206 and a saxo.

I bought my ph1 for £2400 with 63k miles and its mint inside and out. Its a bargain performance car.

The Chubby Pirate

ClioSport Club Member
  Golf R
Welcome mate.

I used to own a Saxo VTS and coming to the Phase 1 172 has been fantastic.

As you have had your share of French engineering i think you know what to expect from the Clio Sport, there very capable and can be reliable if you find a cherished example. For £4k you will be able to un-earth a very good example.

It really depends what your happy with i suppose, as Tim said above, for the money its the best fun you can have without breaking the bank.

I, like you also had a small amount to spend (i have a house aswell lol, other wise it would have been a V6) So i decided to go with the Phase 1, i think its a little rawer than the Ph2 but then its personal preferance.

When you do find the car you want, make sure all the belts are done as this can cost up to £1000 but then could be a haggling tool?

Just make sure its been cared for as neglect is the achillies heel of the Renault Sports

Regards, Dan

Yes, you will enjoy it.

Very good cars. They have there issues but that is outweighed by the plus points.

The haters on here are funny. There is the whole Cup vs FF thing, mk1 vs mk2 thing etc, but I think about 90% of that on here is banter.

Dont listen to the VAG groupies that hate French cars. They dont know what they're missing tbh.

Yes they do rattle to buggery, but thats half the fun.

320d
imo the 172 cup is the pick of the bunch.

If you don't want any toys etc personally i'd have a FF over the cup.

I don't know why people **** off their cars tbh. I've only got a 1.2 clio and although it has its faults its certainly no worse than a corsa, fiesta, C2 etc IMO its a better drive than them. Ok the corsa 1.2 may be quicker, the fiesta may be better built and the C2 well they're crap.

Basically i'd go for the 172, renaultsport make the best hot hatches, its an opinion many magazines share especially EVO.

For everbody on here that doesnt like there 172 theres 5 who love them and have had several.

TTRS & V50
I went from a saxo vtr, to a ph2 172.

And its a great step up on every front, comfier, faster, looks better.

And for 4k you can get a real good one with all belt done already.

2001 VW Polo 1.4
I haven't got permissions to view that page, probably because I am not a member yet.

I will join when I get one!

Thanks for the comments so far, I am looking forward to owning one. The saxo and the 205 were excellent round corners, I take it the 172 will be as good if not better?

Golf GT TDI
i have a mint 1987 205 GTI 1.9 and a 53 plate clio 172 the clio is in just a better made modern hatch. every car has problems. just remember not everyone has money for all these super expensive BMW`s TVR`s audi`s etc but for the money i have found there is not much out there with this sort of spec for this price. just look for a good one with full history and belts done

The Chubby Pirate

ClioSport Club Member
  Golf R
I haven't got permissions to view that page, probably because I am not a member yet.

I will join when I get one!

Thanks for the comments so far, I am looking forward to owning one. The saxo and the 205 were excellent round corners, I take it the 172 will be as good if not better?

Absolutley, there good standard but even better with a good coil over set-up. I do miss how low my Saxo sat though it was very convincing through corner speed, (that was lowered 35mm)

Still prefer the 172, its a laugh to drive all day every day!

TTRS & V50
Absolutley, there good standard but even better with a good coil over set-up. I do miss how low my Saxo sat though it was very convincing through corner speed, (that was lowered 35mm)

Still prefer the 172, its a laugh to drive all day every day!

I miss how low my saxo sat, 60mm :)

Basically the 172 is performance for cheap buck, and yet they look great too.

I personally prefered how my saxo cornered, but saying that i have got shitty Apex on my 172 :eek:

The Chubby Pirate

ClioSport Club Member
  Golf R
I miss how low my saxo sat, 60mm :)

Basically the 172 is performance for cheap buck, and yet they look great too.

I personally prefered how my saxo cornered, but saying that i have got s**tty Apex on my 172 :eek:

Id love to be able to run a VTS and the 172 tbh

Both great cars in there own ways!:eek: