ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Buying a phase 2 172, right choice?

2001 VW Polo 1.4
Hi All,

I am planning on getting a phase 2 172 in the very near future. It will not be a cup as I want all the extras. I just want to make sure I am making the right choice.

I have seen alot of posts on here about people not being happy with their cars and this worries me as I don't want to end up in the same boat. People have been moaning about the handling, the speed, reliability etc.

I have to be sensible when it comes to price because I have a mortgage to pay. So when deciding on my next car I had to set myself a budget so I am just going to use the money from my previous car and my girlfriend's car (this next car will be for both of us to use as we live very clo se to where we work so no need for a car each).

So the budget is £4k. This does not mean I have to spend the full £4k however. My previous car was a 1996 MR2 N/A, other cars I have owned are 1.9 205 gti, saxo vts & Honda Prelude 2.2 vtec.

Will I be dissapointed with the clio having owned any of the above? Other cars we were considering were 206 gti 180, saxo vts, but we decided on the clio as IMO is a step up from the Saxo and the 206 has bad reviews.

It is very unusual being on a forum where alot of users **** off the car they own. Bearing in mind I have owned a 205 and a Saxo, people on those forums were never so negative. Yes those cars have reliability issues but all in all people never moaned about the handling or speed of those cars.

Advice please guys?