ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Buying a Williams

I am now in the market for a Williams and would appreciate some advice as to what one to buy.

Im not too bothered which phase though I probably would prefer a 1 or 2 cos I dont want a sunroof! What does the Willy 2 have that the original lacks?

Also I have seen quite a few Williams on Auto Trader with about 50-60k miles. These cars have had a lot of expensive things replaced like cambelts and clutches. Would this make a case to buy one with this mileage over one with say 30k miles because it will be quite a bit cheaper and a few of the major jobs will not need doing in the near future.

Just looking for some opinions really.

Tim

TT 225

The willy2 has electric mirrors, different side rub strips and no numbered plaque. Thats all the differences probably. I have the original brochures here and those are the only differences in the 2 specs i have spotted :)

I doubt youll find a williams with only 30k on it - if you do its gonna cost you £££. Just go look at as many as possible and choose the tidyest example, pref. with a cambelt change :)

i would get a one

its considered buy many as two is most un desireable one

dont shoot my for saying that its just people opininons

i myself would def geta 3

Did any of the Williams come with ABS? I am going to look at some this coming weekend. There is one with 85k on the clock? Is this a bit too high or should I buy on condition?

Tim

buy on condition and service

2 come with option abs 3 all had abs

makes sure the 85k one has had a cam belt change.

also at mileage after 80k

most mechanicals need lookin at

like alternator

starter

gearbox

buy on condition, try to get one with no rot on rear arches

engines really do go on forever if there well serviced, most of quickest valver/ willys in this club all have in excess of 100k on clocks but these are well looked after too,

keep ya head screwed on

a poor willy will cost a fortune to put right

TT 225

I prefer the 2 - as do a lot of people. Yes, the 3 came in a different colour (i also prefer the 449 sports blue of the original williams).

the 3 also had a sunroof (for some bizarre reason) and ABS. Ruined the williams...

85k is just an average mileage - its 8 years old remember. Its more looking at its condition rather than the mileage.

All im gonna say is mate, wotever version u buy, ur gonna love it!!!

I got a Willy 3, but was luckily enuff not to have a sunroof :)

Renault say its a one-off, whether or not thats true - I dont know.

huh

a willy 3 without a roof

u are lucky

i always think its best to have last of the breed, but if u want originality then its gotta be one with the numbered plaque

no offence kel just my opinion

Yeah i agree with wongy there...

I kinda feel that ive got the best of both here...no sunroof, the better colour, abs and electric wing mirrors......but ok, no gold plaque :(

Just spoke to the guy selling a Williams 3 with 85k on the clock and everything seemed ok.

However when I asked him about the mechanical history he said he doesnt have any proof of parts like the cambelt and clutch being replaced. He has a service book which is fully stamped but I would expect documented receipts to prove these jobs have been done. Am I right in my concerns here as anyone could stamp the service book.

I will probably go and have a look at it anyway as it is not too far from me. Will be good research!

Tim

Its common to have just the service stamps but no receipts if the car has been sold through a dealer at some stage. Id always rather the bills than service book though and I would have thought the guy would have kept the receipts if hed had the jobs done himself (jobs like clutch are not really service items normally).

Buying advice for Williams is the same for 16Vs. Do a search under 16V buying/advice.

Find out how long hes had the motor, the cambelt should of been changed round the 70K mark. If somethings not adding up, just simply walk away.

One thing i recommend doing is getting a HPI check, cost about 40 quid, but well worth it.

He has had the car since Dec 02 but says he is upgrading cos he has just been away in the Gulf fighting and has saved up loads of money for something new. Apparently he has receipts for work done since 1999 but nothing before that. Probably worth a look but I would prefer something with a big folder of work done just for my own reassurance.

I know that there is a good chance all the work has been done but I would always be thinking has it or hasnt it.

Tim

lol

just like the car i just sold, its got stamps but these dont mean much as they can be faulged,

i got every receipt for all work dont since ive owned the car,

if i was buying a car with only a stamped booked id be warry

Revels Mum & Sister

King

Shut up! Hehe Yours has hardly been used.

I didnt have many recipts for mine!! Although I had to replace the engine due to a Garage f**king up!! Apart from that I have replaced a Speedo Cable and thats it in a year.

New clutch, cambelt, recon box as well just before I bought. Had for just over a year and hasnt cost me a lot.!

i know here they put a sticker somewhere on the engine, or in my case in the door opening, were says at howmany miles it has been replaced.

in my case somewhere around 67000 kms

but in my history that i had been given by the dealer where i purchased the car(from the 1st owner) it wasnt explicitly mentioned..

Its a Series 2 White 106 Rallye which I am selling. However I have someone coming at 9pm tonight with a wad of cash to buy it! If that falls through I will get in touch with you.

Tim

Went to look at a Willy 2 tonight with 57k on the clock. It was the first one I have viewed so I wasnt too sure what to look out for and what to compare it with.

The guy selling it told me it came with a CAT 1 Cobra alarm as standard and that it was fitted by Renault. Would this be the case as I didnt realise any of the Willys came with alarms as standard. It was in very good condition other wise but Ive gotta look at a few others and I really think I could get a slightly better one for a bit more money!

Im probably gonna try and hold out for a minter one. May have to wait a while though.

Tim

Got him down to £4500 which I think is a good deal but I really want a Williams 1 or something that is in slightly better condition.

Tim

williams and trophy

something like a RADBOURNE RACING owned (from new) williams 2 ?

with a couple other owners too.

1 slightly famous....................well on here anyway roflmao

I went to see a Willy 3 today and it confirmed to me that the Willy 2 I saw on Friday was in very good condition. Just a few questions though. How easy is it to get the stone chips on the bonnet sorted out? I would want this done if I bought the car. Also how much is it to get the wheels refurbished as this is another thing I would wanna get done

Tim

Im still looking for a Mint low mileage Williams, preferably a Willy 1. If anyone knows of one for sale please let me know. Also if any Willy 1 owners are planning to sell in the future please PM me.

Tim