ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Buying car help

M

mkh300a

Hi
I am looking to buy a new car and was wondering what to look out for. Its quite high milage but 2004. I just want to know if there is any way to see if the engine, clutch or gearbox are on there way out? Is there any way I can tell.

Also, what else should I look out for?

Cheers

Scirocco 2.0 tsi
Engines are quite reliable on the clio, the engine mounts are a weakpoint though see if it you can hear them banging. Gearbox should be obvious if it struggles to go into any gear, if the clutch is on its way out it will have a very high biting point.

Black 197
Drive it, if it sounds shocking then walk, If it pulls and sounds good and has the services and what not to back it up then i'd buy it.

What mileage is the said car on ? What car is it too

M

mkh300a

78k its a 182 with the cup pack.

When you say has a high biting point, what do you mean and how do I tell?

Cheers for the replies

Scirocco 2.0 tsi
78k its a 182 with the cup pack.

When you say has a high biting point, what do you mean and how do I tell?

Cheers for the replies

Well when you change gear, how much u have to come off the clutch pedal before it "bites" into gear. If your having to come off the clutch nearly all the way then thats a sign that the clutch is on its way out, although clios have a higher biting point than alot of cars even with a clutch that isn't shagged.

Black 197
Is it fully serviced ?? Had all its belts done with reciepts to prove ?? How much is the car and what has been done to it

M

mkh300a

Yes, full service history and when I go ill ask for the proof. Its had the timing belt done with proof. He wants £4.5k for it.

Is there another belt that needs doing? Aux belt? which is this one?

So if the clutch is on its way out, it will be pritty noticable?

Cheers

Scirocco 2.0 tsi
IMO he's dreaming asking 4.5k for it on that mileage for an 04 plate unless its in absolute mint condition with no problems at all. I wouldn't pay over 4k for it, for that much you could get a mint condition low mileage 172 without the ghey exhaust.

Black 197
the clutch in the 172/182 are very good iirc, Somebody has a 182 on 115k and the clutch is still going strong, £4.5k aint bad really for a 04 reg, I just sold my 182 this week to Renault for £5.5k and that was an 04 reg.. What colour are you getting ?

M

mkh300a

Its Blue.

Ok cheers for the advice

Il let you know If I get it on the week end

Cheers

M

mkh300a

Hi

Got my clio now.

Its really nice and im dead pleased with in. Its a good upgrade from a 106 gti!

Heres a pic. Ill get it cleaned up and take sume better ones

Image009.jpg