ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Buying cat c

DomP182

ClioSport Club Member
  ph1 172, Arctic182
I'll start by saying I've used the search and read a fair bit on this but I just want to have my thoughts confirmed by a human being.
I've kind of agreed on the purchase of a fairly low mileage Monaco 172 which it turns out was a cat c in April last year for a smashed bumper. Now to me that seems plausible on a 15 year old car but I'm beginning to have second thoughts about the sale.

Whats the general consensus?

imprezaworks

ClioSport Club Member
  Mk5 Golf GTI :)
Mmm nope unless it's done very low miles etc

And even then it's just hassle tbh. If it was minor why wasn't it a cat d? Or one of the new letters?

DomP182

ClioSport Club Member
  ph1 172, Arctic182
Other than that though it's had the belts done last October, 87k and in pretty good condition. Drivers bolster and steering wheel are in good condition in fact the steering wheels very good. Mot's confirm the mileage etc.

Still I feel stupid as I've never made this mistake before

PH2 172
I'll start by saying I've used the search and read a fair bit on this but I just want to have my thoughts confirmed by a human being.
I've kind of agreed on the purchase of a fairly low mileage Monaco 172 which it turns out was a cat c in April last year for a smashed bumper. Now to me that seems plausible on a 15 year old car but I'm beginning to have second thoughts about the sale.

Whats the general consensus?

Any pics of the damage before repair?

Front or rear bumper?

I would think the usual details of belts ,brakes, suspension & tyres more important if it was just a case of replacing a cracked bumper with a used one.

DomP182

ClioSport Club Member
  ph1 172, Arctic182
The v5 simply states states 'the estimated value of repair exceeded the estimated market value' where as the hpi check I did says cat c dated 30.4.2017

DomP182

ClioSport Club Member
  ph1 172, Arctic182
No pic
Any pics of the damage before repair?

Front or rear bumper?

I would think the usual details of belts ,brakes, suspension & tyres more important if it was just a case of replacing a cracked bumper with a used one.

No photos sorry, somones been prepared to have had belts/dephaser etc. done with a receipt.

DomP182

ClioSport Club Member
  ph1 172, Arctic182
Imo it's not worth anywhere near that. Be a mistake

Ah bugger, I'm so pi$$Ed off with myself. I've put a small deposit on it too, I will call the bloke I think and just say look if I'd have noticed the cat c or you had been honest and admitted it I wouldn't have gone ahead.

Lesson learned

imprezaworks

ClioSport Club Member
  Mk5 Golf GTI :)
Ah bugger, I'm so pi$$Ed off with myself. I've put a small deposit on it too, I will call the bloke I think and just say look if I'd have noticed the cat c or you had been honest and admitted it I wouldn't have gone ahead.

Lesson learned

Yeah get the deposit back and look again

DomP182

ClioSport Club Member
  ph1 172, Arctic182
£1400 for a written off 172?

Are you mental?

I take it you read the whole thing? I've admitted I didn't realise it was a cat c as the seller didn't disclose it. My bad for not checking.

DomP182

ClioSport Club Member
  ph1 172, Arctic182
He's offered it back or even reduction in sale price, what's it worth as a cat c?

monaco 172
I don't think a standard Monaco would be worth 1400 let alone an accident repaired one unless it was absolutely mint and mega low miles.

I've been watching prices of 172s on ebay for ages as I was considering getting shut of my monaco but unless it's a cup or minter they seem to struggle to make a grand.

Offer half and see what happens.

Checked out what it'll do with your insurance premium being a cat c?

Probably make no difference but worth checking before you part with any cash.

For £1400 there's loads of clios about without cat c on them.

DomP182

ClioSport Club Member
  ph1 172, Arctic182
Iv
Offer half and see what happens.

Checked out what it'll do with your insurance premium being a cat c?

Probably make no difference but worth checking before you part with any cash.

For £1400 there's loads of clios about without cat c on them.

Ive struggled to find one but I am looking for flame red or Monaco only, not interested in any other colour ph2 172.
I don't think a standard Monaco would be worth 1400 let alone an accident repaired one unless it was absolutely mint and mega low miles.

I've been watching prices of 172s on ebay for ages as I was considering getting shut of my monaco but unless it's a cup or minter they seem to struggle to make a grand.

I may be interested in you Monaco 172 then if you did.

DomP182

ClioSport Club Member
  ph1 172, Arctic182
Thanks for all the help, he's agreed to refund my deposit so here's hoping he does without me having to get angry. I've kept it very civil as although he didn't tell me about the cat c I also was foolish enough to not research it till now.

The search continues...

R3k1355

Absolute wetter.
ClioSport Club Member
If it's written on the V5 (the new categories are I believe) it's pretty naughty thats it's not been disclosed.

Not like it's a parking ding they forgot to mention

DomP182

ClioSport Club Member
  ph1 172, Arctic182
If it's written on the V5 (the new categories are I believe) it's pretty naughty thats it's not been disclosed.

Not like it's a parking ding they forgot to mention

Yes exactly, I'm at fault for not checking but not stating it is a bit...well you know.

Anyway I've asked for my deposit back and he's been good about it.

DAN@ADRIAN FLUX

ClioSport Trader
  Renault 5
Hi,
If any one needs any help with insurance at all for a written off vehicle then please feel free to drop me a line. The majority of our insurance schemes have no issues with previously written off vehicles.
Regards,
Dan.

DomP182

ClioSport Club Member
  ph1 172, Arctic182
Well that's panned out well, deposit back in my account.

There seems to be some pretty high mileage rough cars about at phenomenally high prices.

R3k1355

Absolute wetter.
ClioSport Club Member
Probably best to avoid ones being sold by dealers, find one on here thats got a decent history.

DomP182

ClioSport Club Member
  ph1 172, Arctic182
Yeah I'm only going to buy privately, using a dealer for such an old car makes no sense.

There is one on Monaco owners group on FB but it has had the drivers door replaced due to a side impact that looks to me like it has crimped the sill just above the side skirt so that's another one to avoid

Al_G

ClioSport Club Member
  Honda S2000, C63
I once owned an old 206 banger which I bought off a mate. It ended up getting rear ended and subsequently written off. My insurance company valued it surprisingly low, when asked why they told me it had been written off twice previously lol.

MonkeyKnifeFight

ClioSport Club Member
  Rusty Cup
I once owned an old 206 banger which I bought off a mate. It ended up getting rear ended and subsequently written off. My insurance company valued it surprisingly low, when asked why they told me it had been written off twice previously lol.

Double D's thats hot ?

Al_G

ClioSport Club Member
  Honda S2000, C63
Thing is most bangers can be written off by just a keyed roof or bust bonnet.

Clio 197 f1
I work in crash repair, an what some things get written off for is silly because it was to costly for paint or a new bumper we have even put 2nd hand parts agreed between customer and insurance to get it back.. But yeah it also might be stolen recoverd and the lock set killed it and someone just got a 2nd hand from a breaker, you never really know unless you know what to look for or in the trade.

But cat c is normally structural anyway, could be a new quarter panel, rear panel, boot floor, or front chassis leg bent or end plates or inner wing flitch. ?‍♂️

DomP182

ClioSport Club Member
  ph1 172, Arctic182
Yeah I did consider that it could easily be written off by something as small as a rear bumper but as has also been said cat c surely means something more serious.

Either way he lied to me and on that principle I asked for my money back.