ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Buying track car and engine life

172 Ph2
How many track days have people done before any engine issues occurred?
I know we have a thread on mileage, but curious how multiple track days shorten life.
(Assuming correct servicing was done)

imprezaworks

ClioSport Club Member
  Mk5 Golf GTI :)
Pot luck.

You will get some that have done hundreds and others that have done a handfull or even just one.

chris blue

ClioSport Area Rep
  172 Ph1 2001
Have had my £550 Y reg 2001 Clio 172 for about 16 months, and chuffed to bits. Done probably 6 full track days, and another 5 x 2 hour/evening slots and a few 20 min single seshs's at car shows.

Mechanically it only need an ABS front shaft fitted (Got a new one put in) and other than reboring the throttle body nothing else has needed to be done. Ive spent a few quid on tyres, (Track days trash tyres for sure) welded in half roll cage, and it already had coilovers and BSB Catback exhaust

Rest has been tinkering with extra wheels, brakes, induction, new battery but its fun tinkering in the summer

Already got at least 6 track appearances planned this year, including Blyton and FCS, and impressed with how its doing. It pulled 165bhp at Surrey Rolling road last year, and for a 17 year old car I was well happy with that. Considering remapping or other ways of increasing power, but feel that would add extra stress on the engine, so may leave well alone

Use additives, Oil change frequently and generally look after it.

Done 93k miles so far (Ive added 10k since ive had it) and really happy, and I don't hold back on the circuits- pedal to the metal

So impressed that as Cambelt and aux are due in a few months, and expecting to get it all done for another 6 years

Its even seen me thru the winter as a daily, after my Golf R lease went back last year. Almost don't see the point of getting another daily- but I wilL

Its no looker, but I Love it - only hint I would give, max out on the highest RAC membership u can get- I ve got any car, at home, recovery etc etc
Cos you never know LOL

Mine lasted 12 track days before it shat itself and slipped the timing, got it all fixed with uprated 197 cams and that lasted all of 300 miles before it snapped a valve destroying the engine in the process. Great cars when working properly and really do punch above there weight on track but I wouldn't own another as it was far to unreliable in my experience. I did drive it within an inch of its life though....literally, lol.

Brucefil

ClioSport Club Member
  Renault sport Clio
Guys try tracking a Jag to see how expensive motor racing can be[emoji85]

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

JamesBryan

ClioSport Club Member
Mine lasted 12 track days before it shat itself and slipped the timing, got it all fixed with uprated 197 cams and that lasted all of 300 miles before it snapped a valve destroying the engine in the process. Great cars when working properly and really do punch above there weight on track but I wouldn't own another as it was far to unreliable in my experience. I did drive it within an inch of its life though....literally, lol.

How many times did you hit the limiter the day it went do you think?

chris blue

ClioSport Area Rep
  172 Ph1 2001
Mine lasted 12 track days before it shat itself and slipped the timing ...... I did drive it within an inch of its life though....literally, lol.

Think the last part, answers the first part of your comment
I certainly don't hold back, but don't drive round track with the engine screaming
There are enough slower cars to chase down, than fast Elise to catch up with

Rev counter below 5kmost of time :tonguewink:- its more the fun and excitement, than testing the engine to full capacity- and hopefully will get more longevitiy out of it
Each to their own no doubt

Last edited:
Think the last part, answers the first part of your comment
I certainly don't hold back, but don't drive round track with the engine screaming
There are enough slower cars to chase down, than fast Elise to catch up with

Rev counter below 5kmost of time :tonguewink:- its more the fun and excitement, than testing the engine to full capacity- and hopefully will get more longevitiy out of it
Each to their own no doubt
It slipped the timing as the alternator shaft had a load of play in it, shredding the aux belt, therefore slipping the timing. And last time it snapped a valve after a rebuilt head was fitted not 300 miles previously so nothing to do with driving it hard as I didn't have chance to drive it hard!

But yeah each to their own, I personally don't see the point in using a vehicle for fun and not using it to its full potential whether it be a motocross, go-kart, track car etc...

Amos91

Honorary Member
ClioSport Club Member
Its just luck of the draw. I've had mine from 40k miles, now on 120k. It probably explores 7k rpm most days, been to the ring, done 4-5 track days last year etc.

Listerine & Poledo
If memory serves, 5,000 is about as many revs as you need to generate some form of acceleration?

chris blue

ClioSport Area Rep
  172 Ph1 2001
Redlining seems to just make more noise, and not that much more acceleration for me
although there is something satisfying about not being able to floor the throttle pedal any more

to be honest i probably venture into 6k+ a little more than i actually to notice...... eyes on the road n all that

imprezaworks

ClioSport Club Member
  Mk5 Golf GTI :)
Redlining seems to just make more noise, and not that much more acceleration for me
although there is something satisfying about not being able to floor the throttle pedal any more

to be honest i probably venture into 6k+ a little more than i actually to notice...... eyes on the road n all that

Get it on the rollers and see where maximum powerz comes in. Set ready steady go flashing lights on the dash and your good to go.

chris blue

ClioSport Area Rep
  172 Ph1 2001
although there is something satisfying about being able to floor the throttle pedal

This needed a correction- dunno why that typo came in lol

I've done 40+ trackdays on my current engine. Still seems to be strong as anything even though it likes to puff blue smoke on the over run.

The car is on it's 4th clutch now though.

182 Turbo
Non as I was short shifting as it was wet/damp. Was in 4th foot flat half way down the straight before Lodge nowhere near the limit when it went.
Are the valve springs changed to the uprated catcams ones with 197 cams, or do they use the standard valve springs?

182 Turbo
Everything is the same mate, just drop the 197 cams in and time accordingly.
do you suspect it was put back together incorrectly as to how prematurely it dropped a valve only a few hundred miles after and without giving it the beans? I was under the impression that you needed the catcams stiffer valve springs when fitting an aftermarket cam to the 1*2s , im pretty sure with any of the catcam packages ED & K-tec would fit the stiffer valve springs for that reason, i might be wrong though

JamesBryan

ClioSport Club Member
do you suspect it was put back together incorrectly as to how prematurely it dropped a valve only a few hundred miles after and without giving it the beans? I was under the impression that you needed the catcams stiffer valve springs when fitting an aftermarket cam to the 1*2s , im pretty sure with any of the catcam packages ED & K-tec would fit the stiffer valve springs for that reason, i might be wrong though

If you went with catcam 421 or 428, to get the best you'd fit supertech valves and uprated springs.

With 438's you can use OEM but for peace of mind i'd fit supertech valves also.

That's the way i'd do it.

PH2 172
that's why your engines f++ked
or this

JB21ClioSport Club Member
Car:
Track 182FF breaking

And others the belt will just go. Luck of the draw.
I'm just gonna take a chance on mine and if it goes wait for an engine to come up on here from a car being broken with belts done and have someone like Carl fit it or attempt it myself, same with the gearbox. They seem throw away units these days, lol.

or this

JB21ClioSport Club Member
Car:
Track 182FF breaking

And others the belt will just go. Luck of the draw.
I'm just gonna take a chance on mine and if it goes wait for an engine to come up on here from a car being broken with belts done and have someone like Carl fit it or attempt it myself, same with the gearbox. They seem throw away units these days, lol.
And?

PH2 172

It seems to me you wilfully chose to ignore the recommended service schedules for the belts, and having lost your bet, you are taking every opportunity you can to denigrate Clio`s & the F4R engine in particular.

Nobody likes a bad looser!

JamesBryan

ClioSport Club Member
It seems to me you wilfully chose to ignore the recommended service schedules for the belts, and having lost your bet, you are taking every opportunity you can to denigrate Clio`s & the F4R engine in particular.

His engine was rebuilt and lasted 300 miles after £1000+ of work.

I'm sure everyone wouldn't be too happy either.

Nothing to do with service schedules.

PH2 172
His engine was rebuilt and lasted 300 miles.

Nothing to do with service schedules.

I read that the aux belt found its way into the cambelt in November, so I consider it is.

Other than noticing that one valve had dropped following reassembly, I did not pay a lot of attention to the rebuild or what was replaced or reused.

JamesBryan

ClioSport Club Member
I read that the aux belt found its way into the cambelt in November, so I consider it is.

Other than noticing that one valve had dropped following reassembly, I did not pay a lot of attention to the rebuild or what was replaced or reused.

The aux belt being overdue was the first time yeah.

It then died again not long after a rebuild.

Right ive bitten my tongue long enough with you and this is me being respectful to my elders. I'll say what most others think, you come across as a weirdo with nothing better to do than talk utter shite on this forum, you talk in riddles and reply without properly reading a thread/post and 99% of the time your posts are no help what so ever. To me you come across as drunk with nothing better to do with your time, you're retired arent you or close to it so go find something useful to do with what time you have left that you can look back on with fondness, instead of annoying the s**t out of people on here with utter tosh!

And for your information i done exactly what I said in the post above, i took my chance and lost and instead of replacing the engine it was more cost effective to rebuild the head to which i did and then it gave up after 300 miles, so as mentioned i am going to be a tad bitter as would most.

With that I hope you have a nice evening....Steve!

PH2 172
The aux belt being overdue was the first time yeah.

It then died again not long after a rebuild.

As the original thought behind not spending money on belts etc was that if it blows, throw in a cheap used lump, I`m not sure why that option was not chosen.

It seems to me that too much money has been thrown into what was meant to be a bit of cheap fun.

Advikaz

ClioSport Club Member
Motors aren’t that expensive...

Keep it well maintained and fingers crossed lol. If it goes bang slot in a new one.

Brand new second hand init