ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Buying used 172 Mk2 - what to look for

Am gonna be buying a MK2 172 in the next couple of weeks and will only buy privately (cant STAND dealers!) so wonder if there is anything specific that I need to look out for?

I know the normal stuff about bodywork/interior (which should all be MINT in a MK2!) but is there any mechanical/electrical issues that I need to watch out for?

Thanks in advance...

Jon - soon to be 172 owner :D

there is a list of standard problems that we all seem to share :cry: but these are usually small ones or warranty jobbies:

Leaky washer bottle, washer jet balls (to wash the headlights) fall out, exhaust rattles at 4k revs, rattles from the passenger seat, temp. sensor goes wild!!! Think that’s it??? Anyone else??

These are all normal on a mk2 172 but can all be fixed and then the car will be sound, Enjoy!!! Never regretted buying my car despite the problems

:)

KDF

Audi TT Stronic

Has to be said, a lot of people get the above mentioned problems.. except me. :p

Havent had the washer bottle cracked one.. or 4k rattle. or pass seat rattle, or temp sensor going.. just 1 damn washer ball.

anyone got any spares cause renault are useless.. tried to order one and they have never phoned me back.

oh yes, most Renault dealers.....like getting blood out of a stone :(

(there are some good ones around, (Dales in Cornwall:)) but most dont seem very helpful)

I used to be a trader many years ago (boo hisssss) and my advice would be just cause it says private in the advert dont assume its so

i know guys who used to plan activities for when a viewer ariived i.e Be painting the house, eating your tea, just arrived back from work they r all to make it look like you are a family man who isnt really that bothered if you sell the car are not !

and they will all say "well there r others interested so if you dont put a deposit down i cant garantee i can hold it too long 4 u Or the log books not in my name cause ive just not got round to it ive been too busy i dont really want to sell the car but the girlie is pregnant and iam forced !

So dont rush in do your homework and if u put a deposit down make sure you have a pre-written form to say it is subject to a AA report and refundable if it fails Always Cover your back !

Subaru WRX

Also check for the dodgy sensor that causes the SERV and Airbag lights to come on the dash board for no reason.

Also have heard of a few that leak serious ammounts of water in through the back window.

As VivJ said none are serious jobs and are all covered by you warranty so dont let that put you off buying one, Top car, Very pleased with mine :D