ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Buzzing/Whining

When I turn my car on, even if its just to turn the electrics on I can hear a buzzing in the car itself that seems to be coming from the dash. I opened the bonnet to see if I could hear anything further, and there seems to be whining, higher pitched noise, coming from the alternator.

Could this just be a dodgy earth somewhere or something else?

Monaco 172
do you know the interior lights on the roof? just above your head...if you pull that down theres a fan in what looks like a cylinder form memory...they can become noisy b******s over time!

do you know the interior lights on the roof? just above your head...if you pull that down theres a fan in what looks like a cylinder form memory...they can become noisy b*****ds over time!

Does it just need blasting with some compressed air to clean it up or will it need replacing?

And would that explain the whine from the alternator also or is that just a Clio thing?

(New to all this 172 owning, sorry!)

Monaco 172
never thought of an air can actually. i think most just replace it 25quid or something.

as for the alternator...im not sure, ive never heard it but then never listened for it.

but when i turn my ignition on the buzzing sounds like its coming from over the glove box direction. quick was is just disconnect that fan and see if the buzzing stops.

EDIT mine engine has a bit of a whine for a bit when its started up but goes away after a while.

I'll have a listen tonight after my drive home to see if its still making a noise from the alternator, hopefully we can rule that out.

Thanks for the advice.

Got the fan out and tried to give it a clean but it wasn't for having it and still insisted on buzzing so looks like I'll need a replacement. Anyone got the part number to hand?

But, the whining still seemed to be coming from the engine/alternator area when the ignition was on but engine not running. Any ideas?

"Navy" N17 TWO
Is it like a high-pitched buzzing noise coming from the engine bay when you turn the key to ignition (engine off) ?

Elise S1 B&C 140
never thought of an air can actually. i think most just replace it 25quid or something.

as for the alternator...im not sure, ive never heard it but then never listened for it.

but when i turn my ignition on the buzzing sounds like its coming from over the glove box direction. quick was is just disconnect that fan and see if the buzzing stops.

EDIT mine engine has a bit of a whine for a bit when its started up but goes away after a while.

I get that too.

Bumder With A Buffer
Throttle body makes that noise - put your ear to that! ;)

Perfectly normal BTW so no need to worry (I did too before I knew :eek:)

Same here :eek:

But I also had a whining coming from my automatic headlight adjuster..turned out somethings wrong with it so rather than buying a new one just disconnected the fucker. That shut the b*****d up :)

EP3 Civic Type R
Si, I'll listen tomorrow, but are you sure it's not just the fuel pump priming when you turn the ignition on?

Clio Sport 172
I get this noise, I need to know what it is? Wouldnt you only hear the fuel pump primeing from in the rear where it is situated? I am having trouble starting my car, fitted new TDC sensor and new batt yesterday but no joy! If I jump in the car and it wont start, then I put ignition on where I can hear this noise is hapening in the engine bay its like a pump running then stops for 5 secs then start again and do that proces until I start it (thought myself it was fuel pump primeing) leave it for 30 secs then it wil start..funny! Any ideas?