ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Bye bye 200 - my ownership report

Discounted 1*2 parts
Well the 200 went yesterday, thought I'd take the time to write up how it was for anybody considering buying one.

I covered just under 6000 miles in and can now honestly say that the 200 excells over the 1*2's in the following areas interior build quality (no rattles!), gearbox, brakes and how direct the steering is.

However, I would say that although the 200 is a far better car to drive, it does really lack some low down power and torque. To get the car moving you have to drive a 5k + all the time, whereas the 172/182's I have owned had a lot more low down torque. Also the 200 doesn't give the 5k kick when the VVT kicks in. I wouldn't say it boring to drive, but you just don't feel as in contact with the road as in a 1*2. When I added the KTEC exhaustI felt the car drove better, not for any extra power, but for the fact you could here what the car was doing!

There is only 1 word for fuel ecomony, and that is sh*t! To be fair this has been my weekend /track day car so the car averaged between 15-25mpg the majority of the time. On the rare occassion the other half drove the car, it could see 35mpg combined but I swear I could walk quicker. The old 1*2's could average high 30's without battering an eyelid!

Although I haven't had the car long, working in a dealership has shown me the running costs on the 200 isn't a great deal more than 1*2's. The only area parts are more expensive are the front brakes. Everything else is very comparable to base model clio's and 1*2's.

I took this vehicle out on the PCP deal and I'm glad I did. Put down the initial £1000 deposit and then paid my monthly charge (just less than £189), and when I came to sell the car, it easily cleared the finance that was outstanding and left me with a few quid in my pocket. So to anyone worried about being tied in for 2 years, that is not the case!

Finally from the track days I have done, I can say that 888's make a huge difference! I did approx 150 laps of Cadwell park and Mallory park and the car never understeered once!

Think I covered everything most people want to know, I hope somebody finds this helpful.

I will miss the 200 but looking forward to the extra cash in my pocket to fund our first house purchase!!

Tom

182 cup
I know what you mean with the economy, I average 26 on a 300 mile, £65 tank. The 172 was cheaper but had started to cost alot to repair on a monthly basis.

I think il buy the car at the end of my 3yr deal but sell it on for a diesel, or something with alot more power or desireablity and still ge tthe same MPG!

White clique
I was lead to believe the 200 solved the low down torque issues of the 197, thats seemed to be the benefit of a 200 over a 197? Had you driven a 197 and how did it compare to that?

Jamie

ClioSport Club Member
172s have to be driven hard IMO too. Nothing below 5k, can't believe the 200 is worse.

Gutted you've sold man. Has it gone to another CS'er?

I don't know whether id be able to let mine go before the 2 years ends. I love mine to bits (minus the economy lol).

Last edited:
  clio sport f1 r27
you should have kept it lol av got an r27 longest iv kept a car is 20 months av had 8 mow had this nearly 4 years now and its going nowhere !!!!

AG 200
I was lead to believe the 200 solved the low down torque issues of the 197, thats seemed to be the benefit of a 200 over a 197? Had you driven a 197 and how did it compare to that?

Ive owned both (2 years each), the low down torque was the 1st thing I noticed when I drove the 200 after getting out of the 197. Its much better BUT its still not as torquey as I would like it to be, gotta be improved for the next RS.

yeecup

ClioSport Club Member
  mk8Fiesta ST,172 cup
they are just too heavy, bring back the 172 cup philosophy. make a proper lightweight hatch renault!! 200 engine in 1082kg cup would be great.

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
HAving had 197/172/182/200 I can safely say the 200 owns every single one of them.

An example...

My good mate has a 172 and he is a very very good driver. With the same cars (172) he left me standing on our track days, purely down to his ability. Fast forward a year and i'm driving my 200 Cup and we were 100% all day long level pegging. If I moved in front he couldn't get past. If he moved on front he couldn't shake me.

Nothing changed, he's still a better driver, but my 200 vs his 172 was obvious, the car is in a different league.

I was braking a very long way later than him and I had minimal understeer. He (in his coilover'd track car) was fighting hard to keep me at bay but I was in my 100% standard road car driving with radio 2 on.

The cars are leagues apart.

Discounted 1*2 parts
Never driven a 197 properly so I couldn't really compare the 2.

But a good point made above, the monthly repair costs on my 172 was the main reason for me getting the 200 on the PCP deal as it was actually going to work out cheaper!

Jamie

ClioSport Club Member
I'd love one - just too much capital cost and mpg puts it in the r26 bracket. Tough choices.

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
MPG was rediculous. My wife only does about 3000 miles a year in it so its ony pottering about. We saw 21mpg as an average over a year!

She's now driving a seat leon tdi that is doing the same driving and is returning 55mpg.

Do the math! lol.

172cup turbo & rx8
the wife see's more than that (26mpg) from our rx8 and people moan about the running costs of them :eek:

suppose its just a weight issue and having to rev the nuts off it to gather any real pace

Gaz_

ClioSport Club Member
  Extreme mode
Must all be town cars as my 197 cup averages 30.... My older early 197 averaged 27 with the shorter gearing . Also imo the mk2 is a bit optimistic with its mpg trip......

Jamie

ClioSport Club Member
With my recorded and calculated mpg figures on a mixed run - more toward extra urban, this is what I used to achieve:

Williams - 39 best, 37 ave.
172 - 38 best, 37 ave.
Trophy - 37 best, 35 ave.

They do need more power, I don't actually find it lacks torque low down quite the opposite for a highly strung petrol engine.

A bit of boost in the next model would be excellent, easier tuning combined with the already excellent chassis should make it sell well.

BMW335M/Clio200/182
HAving had 197/172/182/200 I can safely say the 200 owns every single one of them.

An example...

My good mate has a 172 and he is a very very good driver. With the same cars (172) he left me standing on our track days, purely down to his ability. Fast forward a year and i'm driving my 200 Cup and we were 100% all day long level pegging. If I moved in front he couldn't get past. If he moved on front he couldn't shake me.

Nothing changed, he's still a better driver, but my 200 vs his 172 was obvious, the car is in a different league.

I was braking a very long way later than him and I had minimal understeer. He (in his coilover'd track car) was fighting hard to keep me at bay but I was in my 100% standard road car driving with radio 2 on.

The truth.

Gally

Formerly Mashed up egg in a cup
ClioSport Club Member

An example...

Great post Dan.

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
How did u sell ur 200 as I shall b in the same position shortly?

Someone paid me money and drove off in it...? ;)

I'm assuming yours is on finance? You need to find a buyer, and find out your settlement figure. Heres an example..

Clio 200 with a value of £10,000 .

Finance settlement figure of £8000.

Buyer gives a cheque to the finance company for £8000 and you a cheque for £2000.

Release the car once its all paid off and clear.

260% JCW
There's no doubt that the 200 is a more refined car and it should be better then all previous Sports, I guess that's evolution for you (Not all the time mind). But why are so many people selling up if it's such a great car.

rs 1an

South East - Essex
ClioSport Area Rep
hi all, you should not buy a car with outstanding finance as the car belongs to the finance company not the person advertising say, why bother just get one from a main dealer. i have a 197 09 plate with 10k miles and i have changed the air filter and it drives fine, only shows 26 mpg but i share a clio ripcurl dci with my wife which does 55mpg which we use all the time. my laguna dynamique s dci 150 which i drove like a baby still only did 40 mpg was nice but boring. when i traded it i tried a 200 and a 200 cup both white from lookers at chelmsford and they all drive the same to me, i think the front diffuser is an styling upgrade only, did vw put one on the new golf r, looking forward to next saturday cu all ian

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
hi all, you should not buy a car with outstanding finance as the car belongs to the finance company not the person advertising say, why bother just get one from a main dealer. i have a 197 09 plate with 10k miles and i have changed the air filter and it drives fine, only shows 26 mpg but i share a clio ripcurl dci with my wife which does 55mpg which we use all the time. my laguna dynamique s dci 150 which i drove like a baby still only did 40 mpg was nice but boring. when i traded it i tried a 200 and a 200 cup both white from lookers at chelmsford and they all drive the same to me, i think the front diffuser is an styling upgrade only, did vw put one on the new golf r, looking forward to next saturday cu all ian

confused.jpg

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel

I don't even know where to start...

Why did you change the air filter?? :S

What has a Golf R got to do with a clio 197? :S

Main dealers are more expensive than private. :S

A Cup car does not drive the same as a standard car. :S

Darren S

ClioSport Club Member
I'd love one - just too much capital cost and mpg puts it in the r26 bracket. Tough choices.

That's the linch-pin for me. If I could be looking at much more torquey and potentially powerful cars for similar MPGs, then the 200 isn't going to be favourable for me as a next car. I think the recent Top Gear episode highlighted the 200's second-place standing in comparison of engines to other hot hatches out there. The 2.0litre N/A approach (sadly) just doesn't cut it in the real world against it's rivals. To counteract that, the RS still has class-leading handling. But if it had a forced induction engine to match, then it would be the clear winner.

D.

320d
For me the 197/200 just isn't fast enough to warrant the MPG.

I know a guy who went from 197 to a 370Z and the Z was only 1 mpg worse.

Great chassis but it needs a new high compression low boost turbo engine. Will keep most of the response but add torque low down and judging by similar hatches add 10+ mpg on a combined cycle.

Nissan 350z
That's the linch-pin for me. If I could be looking at much more torquey and potentially powerful cars for similar MPGs, then the 200 isn't going to be favourable for me as a next car.

But as is often a favorite on Cliosport i assume you are comparing a new car with "more torquey and potentially powerful cars" of a 2nd hand variety. Im not saying i disagree with you but in terms of owning a new car there arent any in the same price bracket. You get what you pay for :)

Evo 5 RS
200 with a better power band would be spot on.. it's not so much the delivery though as it is the weight if you ask me...

The build quality is shockingly better than then Mk2s though