ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

CAD Questions Thread?

Short Norman

ClioSport Club Member
  997 C4S
Anyone on here use BIM in the construction industry. I use CAD a keep being asked if I have BIM capabilities.

Few questions if you do

1. Are there any free BIM viewers available. I used to have Tekla insight but it’s expired and they don’t appear to offer it anymore.

2. do you need anything special computer wise to run BIM. I know when it first came out everyone who ran it had massive laptops

botfch

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 182
Anyone on here use BIM in the construction industry. I use CAD a keep being asked if I have BIM capabilities.

Few questions if you do

1. Are there any free BIM viewers available. I used to have Tekla insight but it’s expired and they don’t appear to offer it anymore.

2. do you need anything special computer wise to run BIM. I know when it first came out everyone who ran it had massive laptops

Autodesk viewer works ok but most of my clients use Navisworks.

If you want to just view stuff any modern laptop will be fine.
If you want to model stuff then you will need something with a bit more power.

Short Norman

ClioSport Club Member
  997 C4S
Autodesk viewer works ok but most of my clients use Navisworks.

If you want to just view stuff any modern laptop will be fine.
If you want to model stuff then you will need something with a bit more power.
Cheers, yeah I’ve used the Autodesk online viewer before.

will have a look into Navisworks

-KarL-

ClioSport Club Member

Few questions if you do

We use Tekla with work, you can use trimble connect to view BIM/IFC files.

https://connect.trimble.com/

Leon FR ST
So... Who uses AutoCAD on a home computer? Where did you get it from?
Want to use it to start my house extension drawings.

SharkyUK

ClioSport Club Member
Yeah thought of that, but will be going through planning and warrant so will probably need it for longer than the 30 day trial
Worth buying a years subscription? A small price when factored into the cost of the overall work / extension you are having done?

Does it have to be AutoCad?

SharkyUK

ClioSport Club Member
Do we have any Fusion 360 users here?

A friend of mine sent over some cardboard mock-ups (2D shapes) that I recreated in Fusion 360... and then realised it doesn't export to DXF unless you have a paid subscription! I thought DXF might be the best file format to save in as the aim is to have the designs cut out of 5mm thick aluminium.

I've never used Fusion 360 before but, thankfully, the designs were very simple.

scrn-small.png

scrn-large.png

I was wondering if someone might be able to help me save them in DXF format. Or suggest another file format that is typically used by companies that offer machining/cutting services.

I was able to export and render the designs to get some idea as to how they look, but this isn't of much use to whichever company will be doing the cutting!

eg01.jpg

eg02.jpg

Cheers!

botfch

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 182

A friend of mine sent over some cardboard mock-ups (2D shapes) that I recreated in Fusion 360... and then realised it doesn't export to DXF unless you have a paid subscription! I thought DXF might be the best file format to save in as the aim is to have the designs cut out of 5mm thick aluminium.

I've never used Fusion 360 before but, thankfully, the designs were very simple.

View attachment 1636088

View attachment 1636089

I was wondering if someone might be able to help me save them in DXF format. Or suggest another file format that is typically used by companies that offer machining/cutting services.

I was able to export and render the designs to get some idea as to how they look, but this isn't of much use to whichever company will be doing the cutting!

View attachment 1636090
View attachment 1636091

Cheers!

I believe you should still be able to export a dxf as a sketch rather than the 3D.

If you need a 3D dxf feel free to ping me a .step file and I’ll convert it on AutoCAD.

Rob

ClioSport Moderator

View attachment 1636088

View attachment 1636089

View attachment 1636090
View attachment 1636091

Cheers!
I’ll check if I have fusion on the work machine, probably do. I’ll get back to you!

Touring_Rob

ClioSport Club Member

View attachment 1636088

View attachment 1636089

View attachment 1636090
View attachment 1636091

Cheers!
DXF is for 2D really, in Solidworks I export DXF from the drawing not from the part (although technically you can do either).

If you cannot export to DXF what file formats can you export to? IGES, STEP?

If yes to any of the above send it over and I can export DXF files for you (y)

*EDIT Sorry didn't see the other offers of conversion help, you seem well covered :love:

from google "The only DXF support in Fusion is 2D, via sketch import and export."

SharkyUK

ClioSport Club Member
I believe you should still be able to export a dxf as a sketch rather than the 3D.

If you need a 3D dxf feel free to ping me a .step file and I’ll convert it on AutoCAD.

Hi mate, thanks for your reply.

You are indeed correct - it seems I can export the 2D sketch as a DXF file. I wasn't aware I could do this directly from the sketch (I was trying to use the File-Export menu option, which is greyed out for non-subscription users). Thank you. As far as I am aware, this is all I need for now.

However, if it turns out that I need a 3D DXF then I'll give you a shout. Thanks again :)

DXF is for 2D really, in Solidworks I export DXF from the drawing not from the part (although technically you can do either).

If you cannot export to DXF what file formats can you export to? IGES, STEP?

If yes to any of the above send it over and I can export DXF files for you (y)

*EDIT Sorry didn't see the other offers of conversion help, you seem well covered :love:

from google "The only DXF support in Fusion is 2D, via sketch import and export."

Hi Rob, likewise - thank you for your kind offer of help.

Yes, I always thought that DXF was more oriented towards 2D/planar type schematics rather than for 3D realisation. As the aim is to ultimately cut the shapes from 5mm aluminium (or possibly some other metal) my thinking is that the 2D DXF will be sufficient.

In terms of exporting from Fusion 360, I can export to:
  • Autodesk Fusion 360 Archive Files (*.f3d)
  • 3MF Files (*.3mf)
  • Autodesk Inventor 2021 Files (*.ipt)
  • FBX Files (*.fbx)
  • OBJ Files (*.obj)
  • SketchUp Files (*.skp)
  • SMT Files (*.smt)
  • STEP Files (*.stp, *.step)
  • STL Files (*.stl)
  • USD Files (*.usdz)
The following are only available to subscription holders (i.e., not me!):
  • DWG Files (*.dwg)
  • DXF Files (*.dxf)
  • IGES Files (*.igs, *.iges)
  • SAT Files (*.sat)

My confusion comes from my unfamiliarity with Fusion 360, and more so the fact that I cannot File-Export to DXF but I can directly right-click on the sketch in the object browser and "Save as DXF" that way... (as @Archtronics pointed out). I'm not really familiar with some of those file formats.

I do, however, recognise FBX, OBJ, STL and USD - as these tend to be used in the sort of 3D work I'm involved with in terms of 3D CGI for games/movies and visual effects. They aren't particularly well-suited to CAD/CAM though.

PS what are they for? Shapes look cool.

My understanding is that they form the basis of customised bracketing to stabilise/mount a motorcycle engine (or related to something like that). Once cut, they will be shaped, tweaked and drilled by hand to suit. That's all I know!

Again, thanks to both of you gents for the replies. (y) If I need further help I'll give you a shout.

Touring_Rob

ClioSport Club Member
DXF is perfect for laser cutting companies Sharky, I think its their preferred format. Be sure so send them a very simple drawing with at least one dimension on for each item - I've had parts laser cut in the past and had them arrive either tiny or massive!! So having one dim avoids all of that.

Let me know if you need any recommendations for companies do do the laser cutting, we use several at work and I have used a couple of others for personal projects like this where you just need a handful of parts rather than hundreds.

Andy_con

ClioSport Club Member
  clio 182
DXF is perfect for laser cutting companies Sharky, I think its their preferred format. Be sure so send them a very simple drawing with at least one dimension on for each item - I've had parts laser cut in the past and had them arrive either tiny or massive!! So having one dim avoids all of that.

Let me know if you need any recommendations for companies do do the laser cutting, we use several at work and I have used a couple of others for personal projects like this where you just need a handful of parts rather than hundreds.
agreed, i get all my laser cutting done using DXF files

SharkyUK

ClioSport Club Member

Ah, great advice Rob - thank you!

Yes, please do share the details of the companies when you have a convenient moment - thank you. As this is a friend's personal project it only requires a couple or three pieces cut. Cheers!

Touring_Rob

ClioSport Club Member
Ah, great advice Rob - thank you!

Yes, please do share the details of the companies when you have a convenient moment - thank you. As this is a friend's personal project it only requires a couple or three pieces cut. Cheers!
I used Fractory last year and was pretty impressed.

I liked it becuase I could just upload the parts and get a quote/lead time choose different materials etc without having to speak to anyone. Their prices were alright, not mega cheap not mega expensive - just acceptable and their user interface was good at the time.

But if you have a small firm nearby like Andy does that has its own benefits too!

Rob

ClioSport Moderator
Haha, I prefer it because you can export with a scale/dimension so you don't have to send them a separate pdf. You can choose to not export with the other drawing jizz though and I think its easier to automate when you export via the drawing... either way Its how I do it ya cant.
People who draw to scale in the model space, or create model files to any scale other than 1:1, must die.

Touring_Rob

ClioSport Club Member
People who draw to scale in the model space, or create model files to any scale other than 1:1, must die.
Its not just the people making the drawings. I've had companies laser cut from 1:1 files but the parts come back half the size - their system lets them rescale to anything. Putting a dimension somewhere (even if its just page size) means when they cut it wrong they don't argue.

Rob

ClioSport Moderator
Its not just the people making the drawings. I've had companies laser cut from 1:1 files but the parts come back half the size - their system lets them rescale to anything. Putting a dimension somewhere (even if its just page size) means when they cut it wrong they don't argue.
See this is where I fall short, if they’re sent at 1:1, how if they come back wrong is that anyone’s fault but their own?

I’ve opened so many CAD files in the past and found a house drawn at 1:50… I just die a little inside.

Touring_Rob

ClioSport Club Member
See this is where I fall short, if they’re sent at 1:1, how if they come back wrong is that anyone’s fault but their own?

I’ve opened so many CAD files in the past and found a house drawn at 1:50… I just die a little inside.
Tbf when it has happened to me the companies I have used have never argued and just sorted it. But if you put a dimension on then I think it helps the man pressing buttons to find out the mistake before they ship the parts back to you.

Although the things I do are computer sized not house sized :ROFLMAO: - maybe its a software thing too, Solidworks you select a drawing template before adding the parts to the drawings and I don't have a preloaded template big enough for a 1:1 3 bed semi.

botfch

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 182
People using the wrong units is the one we usually get.
Made worse by them realising it’s the wrong size then trying to scale it by eye.

Rob

ClioSport Moderator
Although the things I do are computer sized not house sized :ROFLMAO: - maybe its a software thing too, Solidworks you select a drawing template before adding the parts to the drawings and I don't have a preloaded template big enough for a 1:1 3 bed semi.
Some of the stuff we do at the moment, are buildings with a footprint of a square km… talk about different worlds!

RSRowe

ClioSport Club Member
  Megane 250 Cup
Some of the stuff we do at the moment, are buildings with a footprint of a square km… talk about different worlds!
In that instance what do you do?
Our factory and even our entire site/the local area is 1:1 in the modelling space.

Rob

ClioSport Moderator
In that instance what do you do?
Our factory and even our entire site/the local area is 1:1 in the modelling space.
Doing some big ass factory planning for Li battery manufacture at current (I’m not longer ‘in the model’ (management, sigh)) but the spaces we’re playing with are sizeable.

We still work at 1:1 and I guess that was my point! Tory Rob is working with m16 fittings and I’m working witg 2m deep trusses! Opposite ends of the modelling universe

Louis

I Park Like a C**t
ClioSport Club Member
Doing some big ass factory planning for Li battery manufacture at current (I’m not longer ‘in the model’ (management, sigh)) but the spaces we’re playing with are sizeable.

We still work at 1:1 and I guess that was my point! Tory Rob is working with m16 fittings and I’m working witg 2m deep trusses! Opposite ends of the modelling universe
2m trusses are easy to model though. Don't even need to crack out the circles

RSRowe

ClioSport Club Member
  Megane 250 Cup
Well that's more my background tooling.
Still, our site is probably 10sq km, and we/i have a drawing of that which is 1:1

I'm just trying to understand if there's a better way of doing something when it's quite sizeable.

RSRowe

ClioSport Club Member
  Megane 250 Cup
I shouldn’t of said drawing.

For clarity. I’ve a site plan in the modelling space in 2D which is 1:1
Obviously the drawing is scaled.

I’m trying to understand when or why someone would scale something on the modelling side of thing. Like what’s the advantage?

Touring_Rob

ClioSport Club Member
I shouldn’t of said drawing.

For clarity. I’ve a site plan in the modelling space in 2D which is 1:1
Obviously the drawing is scaled.

I’m trying to understand when or why someone would scale something on the modelling side of thing. Like what’s the advantage?
Ahh, yea no clue to that one. Can't think of any advantage. Drawings yes.

Lots of it probably comes down to the CAD system people are using. Solidworks is very much targeted at product design rather than architecture or very large constructions. I'm sure you could probably export scales from the model but I just do it all from drawings because I'm a simple person who doesn't want to learn new things.

Beauvais Motorsport

ClioSport Club Member
For those that work vmc's. What sort of spindle hours do you normally get before they need replacing/refurbishing? Its haas vf2 size machine for the record. Im looking at a either haas mini mill, tm1p or vf2 (if the price is right). All will fit in my unit but really I think a vf2 would future proof the work I want to be able to do, its just the weight that puts me off, I can pallet jack the other mills as they are under 2 ton, I need to tuck the mill as far back to the wall as possible to save space.

Andy_con

ClioSport Club Member
  clio 182
For those that work vmc's. What sort of spindle hours do you normally get before they need replacing/refurbishing? Its haas vf2 size machine for the record. Im looking at a either haas mini mill, tm1p or vf2 (if the price is right). All will fit in my unit but really I think a vf2 would future proof the work I want to be able to do, its just the weight that puts me off, I can pallet jack the other mills as they are under 2 ton, I need to tuck the mill as far back to the wall as possible to save space.
Wanker... I'd like a hass machine 😉