ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

'caked' on salt. How do I safely remove ??

PB Clio 172
As above I have like caked on salt from roof to the bottom of my car on one side. Its not the usual its set into the paint and has gone hard

How do i get rid of this without harming the paint. I do not have a hose or a power washer

also does anyone know how this has got on my car as if its a grit lorry sure it would of gone on the roof? Or is this a result of me driving on lots of heavy salt roads last night

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
Go and see the polaks. They'll pressure wash it all off first.

Or do as danny said and go and lob £2 in the jetwash at the local shell petrol station.

I wouldn't go anywhere near it with a mitt/bucket without trying some sort of contactless hose down on it first.
Ideally you'd want some form of APC or grime/traffic remover sprayed on and left to dwell, then pressure rinsed off.
If you don't have use of one go to a supermarket/garage.

Clio RS 172 /Trafic
My taxi regularly gets caked in salt. I usually go to one of the buy time jet washes and use the hot pressure shampoo to shift the really solid stuff then if its still really dirty I use the foam brush then pressure rinse or go to hand car wash during the day. I also have a pressure washer at home so I can spend a decent amount of time washing out the wheel arches etc on days when I have time to spend washing by hand. Usually if its caked on the hot shampoo jet wash will loosen it enough to get it all off without using a brush

Golf GT & A4 Avant
Buy some AF citrus power. Take the car to a local jet wash, most petrol stations our way have them for a couple of pound. Spray all the local Areas with CP, let it soak in the pressure rinse off.