ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Calling 197 owners!!

Liquid R27 067/500
Hi Guys,

Been a while since ive posted, primarily because i traded my 182 in for a 2005 350Z.

Anyway, almost 3 months have passed and i really, really regret selling my 182, so am now looking at buying a 197 with all the trimmings!

People i speak to think im mad for getting rid of a 350Z for a clio, and yeh i can understand why they think that, but the simple fact is because i much much prefer the driving of a front wheel drive hot hatch, and i find myself pussy footing around in the 350, apart from on the open road where i can do 70mph of course!! ;)

So, can all you 197 owners tell me how your liking it, what sort of options you went for if any and also post some pics of different colours for me to have a look at.

Much appreciated! Oh and ive got my test drive in the 197 on sunday morning!

Discuss! :)

Jobo

seb

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio trophy
100_0309car3.jpg

100_0308car2.jpg

100_0305car1.jpg

seb

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio trophy
Thought i'd give the 197 a few miles before i gave my thoughts on it.

Done about 800 miles now so it has had a few redlines under its bonnet so far!

problems so far:

Had the rear brakes making a loud noise under very light braking at stop start speed. having checked the RS forum this was quite common and went after a few hundred miles. This problem has now gone.

had a flat tyre 3 days after buying her... that was annoying but i got a new tyre for £105 fitted so wasn't too bad. sadly i couldn't getit repaired... nevermind.

apart from that no other problems... so far... (i am wating for the long list i had with my 182!)

good things:

engine noise - it makes such a lovely noise at low revs and sounds really throaty at around 3.5k when you tickle her. Let alone the noise up to the rev limiter! great stuff.

grip - it has immense levels of grip. There is a corner i used to go round with my 182 and it felt twitchy at 60mph. the 197 feels so much more stable and it happily went round at 60mph. i reckon it would go round at 70.. but i haven't had the balls yet to try it!

gearbox - lovely smooth quick gearchange. and it is nice to have a normal gearknob unlike astra vxr etc i tried as they felt odd to hold.

performance - feels quick to me and pulls very well in 2nd, 3rd and 4th. 5th and 6th it begins to slow down but by then i see how quickly i am going! the 197 needs to be driven hard and revved to get the most out of it but that is how i like it! Having read peoples views on the RS forum who have covered 6k the engine does begin to pull better lower down so i will look forward to that.

keyless entry - really nice touch. makes getting in the car whislt holding all my shopping a lot easier. took me a while to get used to it though! keep reaching for the key in the ignition!!

seats - so snug and have a nice fit.

gearlight - in a more prominent postion and is bigger and i find it a great dela easier to see.

bad things:

fuel economy - it is absolute s**te at present. doing about 26mpg. That is with crusing to work for a 15 mile motorway drive at around 90mph. I did get it to manage 31mpg on a crusie for 30 miles at 70mph... hopefully this will improve a bit. If you drive it hard you get easily below 20mpg! eek! (too much fun!!)

wheels - look too small inside the wheel arches but maybe if it was lower it would improve things.

too big! - for cleaning that is!! takes longer than the 182!

revvy - although the 6 speed boxc makes ragging the tits off her great, it makes for high revs on a motorway crusie in 6th... can be annoying!

at present thats all i can think of at the moment for the bad things.

overall i am exceptionally happy with the 197. It is quicker than i remembered and i enjoy the nice smooth power that is consistent and goes right up to the redline. lovely. it is slightly bigger than my previous car and feels slightly more refined. Thisis exactly what i wanted in my new car.

I have tried to not compare the 197 with the 182 but i will do as it has and will be continued to be compared....

For me the 197 improves on all the things that annoyed me on the 182. It is definetely built better, it has a more consistent power delivery and the seating postion is soooo much better. Having said thatthe 182 is such a delight for a xcountry blast. the 182 is so nimble and light it is such good fun. having driven the 197 over the same roads it obviously feels bigger but to me, it still handles fantastically and altohugh you don't feel as if your going as fast you look down and see the 3 figure speeds your at! it really is startling.

Am i pleased i changed? hell yeah, the 197 is a f**king sweet motor. i love it to bits.
sad i got rid of the 182? yeah, the last of the ture small pocket rockets, but the 197 moves the game on nicley for me.

I could probably write a lot more, but i tried to keep it brief! sorry!

the full report and comments

seb

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio trophy
mine is total boggo spec with only metallic paint as an option.

Liquid R27 067/500
Thanks guys,

So happens silver is probably my first choice, seems to define all the lines on the bodywork best imo.

would be going for it with the automatic wipers/lights, xenons with cornering lights etc, electrically folding door mirrors, 6 disc dash mounted chager, and the recaro interior.

Would maybe go with another 182, but its the value difference for a trade in!

Maybe should try selling my 350 before i buy, i dunno, will know better after the weekend, after the test! :approve:

SMURF!!!
Before you go picking the folding mirrors as an option, check out the standard spec on renault uk for the 197. Ive just recently purchased a 197 (with white speedline alloys and automatic wipers and lights as extras) and in the price guide it had quite a few extras, but when you check online some of them already come as standard!!! Such as the mirrors, smoker pack, speed limiter, cruiser (i think). So not sure what is correct!

Seb, did you get the extras i just mentioned as standard? I'm curious as to why the website is saying one thing and the dealers another - anyone know?

tiTTy & SV650
id get the 350z on a skid pan and get a bit more confidence throwing a RWD around before chopping it, could be another expensive 'mistake' IMO

R26
here is mine
i only got auto lights and wipers and climate
done 3.5k in it now and its def better than when i got it
i was 4 up in it the with my mate in his 172 ph2 with 1 passanger and he wasnt catching me in a hurry
but the best thing is the conering its awsome
touch wood not a prob or a rattle yet apart from the brakes as seb said but that soon stoped
clio197031.gif

clio197030.gif

clio197017.gif

clio197011.gif

197001Medium.gif

Better than yours. C*nt.
id get the 350z on a skid pan and get a bit more confidence throwing a RWD around before chopping it, could be another expensive 'mistake' IMO

Agreed, I test drove a 350Z not too long ago and the only reason I went for the Clio over it was because I needed a boot and back seats now. The Z hangs it's tail out nicely while being controllable, you don't have to throw it in the bush because it squeaked.

I remember scaring the life out of the salesman, who told me nobody had ever done that in a 350Z while he'd been on a test drive, he didn't even know it was possible!

Better than yours. C*nt.
Good to see the 197 has some proper brakes at last (Brembos):)

Aye, and it's a shame it now sports a 5-stud fitment because it means more development has gone into the suspension setup etc. than I'd originally hoped (182/172 drivers, don't tell me you haven't wondered how hard it is to get 197 Brembos on there!!!)

Burgandy 174 sport t
Good to see the 197 has some proper brakes at last (Brembos):)

Aye, and it's a shame it now sports a 5-stud fitment because it means more development has gone into the suspension setup etc. than I'd originally hoped (182/172 drivers, don't tell me you haven't wondered how hard it is to get 197 Brembos on there!!!)

dont imagine it would be too hard for the brembos to fit tbh, if they dont go straight on already

Caliper fitment is a totally different issue to suspension set up/development. It amounts to the sum total of measurements and positioning of the bracket thats welded to the strut leg.

I cant say wether the brembo's off the 197 would go straight on as I dont know if it's fixed in the same position as the 182. Even if it isnt an adaptor can get round it. The 5 stud wheel fitment only effects the disc not the actual caliper ;)

Clio 172 mk2
Doesn't matter wether you can fit them on a 182 or not....it's just good to see Renault have fitted them as standard on the 197.

Better than yours. C*nt.
Caliper fitment is a totally different issue to suspension set up/development. It amounts to the sum total of measurements and positioning of the bracket thats welded to the strut leg.

I cant say wether the brembo's off the 197 would go straight on as I dont know if it's fixed in the same position as the 182. Even if it isnt an adaptor can get round it. The 5 stud wheel fitment only effects the disc not the actual caliper ;)

However if they've redesigned the whole front end, chances are there's a new fitting for it. My idea (as I'm sure many other people's are) is that a stuffed 197 donates it's brake calipers a whole lot cheaper than Brembo donate their 172/182 specific kit. I don't believe in making brackets etc, there's no comeback if someone screws up, whereas if a set of Brembo 182 specific brakes fail due to machining or manufacturing, I can point legal costs at them.

However if they've redesigned the whole front end, chances are there's a new fitting for it. My idea (as I'm sure many other people's are) is that a stuffed 197 donates it's brake calipers a whole lot cheaper than Brembo donate their 172/182 specific kit. I don't believe in making brackets etc, there's no comeback if someone screws up, whereas if a set of Brembo 182 specific brakes fail due to machining or manufacturing, I can point legal costs at them.

You'd be surprised how many manufacturers carry the same fittings and parts over to new models. Comeback or not if something fails be it OE fitment or made by a tuner/engineering company at high speed you're still dead disfigured or handicapped regardless to whether you or your family get a big fat payout as a result. If someone has made a part for you or supplied it as part of a kit and it fails then they are still bound by public liability.