ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Calling all Mk1 RT owners!

STICKER TWONK

ClioSport Club Member
  Golf GTi DSG

For all those with slammed mk1 RTs, do any of you have problem of it bouncing up and down like its on drugs? Am I right in thinking its cos the backs sitting on bump stops which causes this? My fronts lowered 55mm which was fine, drove fine when I tested it to make sure they were rate, then slammed backend but did it too far, 110mm maybe more so if I raise it a little to make it more level, will it stop it bouncing about like a kangroo on speed?

How low have you gone on the back and how harsh is the ride?

Cheers!!

standards, tut tut! way too much for standard shocks to take!

increase the back until the whole alloy can be seen and u should be fine!

mines lowered 40mm front and bout 60mm back and i aint got no problems apart from a very bumpy ride

STICKER TWONK

ClioSport Club Member
  Golf GTi DSG

55mm lowering springs on front, just turning torsion bar on back. Im assuming bump stops cause the car to jump up when it hits them on the back. Basically, whenever I go over anything but the smallest bump, the back end jumps up and down with the front staying solid, on small bumps I can feel the rear just take the bump instead of jumping.

Anyone shed any light on this? The rear wheels sat in the arch at the mo and its only on 15s so really too low at the back which is why Im highering it up a little tonight. Just dont wanna higher it 30mm say and find out its just as bad :(

This is how low it is at back, ps, only lowered it yesterday so dampers shouldnt be shagged, only just had service and MOT before lowering it!

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/brian.morris5/loooooow.jpg

STICKER TWONK

ClioSport Club Member
  Golf GTi DSG

Cheers essex lad, you seem to be the RT guru on ere!!! I can live with bumpy, just not jump up and down choppy. Im gonna raise it till wheel sits out of arch a bit and see how I get on.

Fecking love the handling tho, lobbed it round this roundabout in me dinner hour and it didnt roll at all, gokart style :D

yea jus make it sit so the top of the alloy is inline wit the arch lip then u should be fine! u should be able to have people in the back then!

i doubt ur shocks r fcuked coz uve only jus lowered it!

and that suddenly feelin of the back shootin up is the bump stops!

STICKER TWONK

ClioSport Club Member
  Golf GTi DSG

Cheers again! Going to sort it out later on tonight, me dad works in a boiler house, loads of room inside there to do it, fully lit and nice and warm so be doing that later tonight! Ill post pics up again when its raised lol

STICKER TWONK

ClioSport Club Member
  Golf GTi DSG

Took me an hour to raise the back up about 15-20mm and now it rides mint, doesnt bounce about everywhere and feels a lot better. Rolls a bit round the corners but still handles well, well chuffed I did it all in an hour! :D:D:D:D:D

STICKER TWONK

ClioSport Club Member
  Golf GTi DSG

Dazz - its very easy, if you follow the guide on daz-uk then you really cant go wrong. Just get car on axle stands, remove torsion bar, jack arm (or hubs depending on kind of torsion bar) up to deserved height, put torsion bar back in and your done. Took me an hour to raise mine tonight.