ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Clio Mk1 ph2 engine changing

clio mk1
Hi all, very new to the forum but have lots of questions that no-one seems to be able to answer!
My current car is a Clio 1.4 RT Automatic (1995 M registered), the gearbox is tired at 70k and it's extremely underpowered (slower than a swift 1.0 3 pot to 60 :/ ). I have just taken the car off the road as I don't want to totally destroy the engine etc before I convert it!

I have been told to use several different engines that apparently just "drop straight in", But I need clarification on which is the best route to take here ... I used to have saxo's and have become bored of the mindless drivel that is tuning and modifying them!

My options are at the moment either a F7R 714 from a laguna? with an earlier JC5 gearbox so I can use the existing speedo and stuff, An F7R from a Megane (not sure on the number code but from an early 2.0 16v coupe), An F4R from the 172 clio or similarly an F4RT ... Either way I think I will need a JC5 gearbox as it's the only one that I know should fit on the Mk1 Ph2 clio!

I can't seem to find the information that I need about mounting and using the JC5 gearbox and whether I need to modify the mount on the car. I also have no clue as to which engine will give me the best bang for the buck so as to speak for the conversion so really I need some advice as to what are the best combinations (for as close to plug and play mechanically) into the Mk1 shell. I'm not too bothered about the electrical side of things to be fair as I already know that I am going to need the loom, ECU, key and transponder from the donor car to make things work, not to mention the hours and hours of splicing and soldering connections to get the damn thing to work properly when I'm done!

I'm hoping that the hardest part of the job ends up being getting the car converted from an auto to a manual, I'm not sure if all I need is a new brake pedal and separate clutch, or if I am going to need to change the entire pedal box assembly!

Apologies for the barrage of questions for my first post, But I am hoping someone more knowledgeable could point me in the right direction!

Cheers, Graham!

clio mk1
I would, but that's no fun and the bonnet opens the wrong way!
I like my Mk1 too much and the Mk2 for me isn't as comfortable, Good car, just not my cup of tea

172 Ph1/Scooby MY00
I think there is a 16v Clio forum that might cover what you're trying to do. I bought parts for my 172 Phase 1 from a chap who'd changed the engine in his 1.8 16v Mk1 to a 172 engine. The manifold (called a plenum) had been cut and I think to make it fit. Sounds like a good project.