ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Cam belt change on a 172?

Citroen DS3 DSport
The car is 4 years old in June this year and is currently at 34k miles. Is it worthwhile changing this now or will it be ok to wait till next year?

Citroen DS3 DSport
I've got £300 spare right now which I was going to use for a TomTom ONE but as I already have it on my phone I think the money would be better spent on the car. It's a choice of getting the cam and aux belts changed or buying a new exhaust to replace the rusty looking standard one.

C63 AMG, F430 & 172
if ur planning on keeping then id change it. get it out of the way. its 72k or 5years for the cam belt, 36k for the aux

Clio 172 mk2
I've got a car the same age Sneeks with well below average mileage.

I would suggest getting it done next year along with the aux belt as that'll be your five years up.

Megane225FF
sneeks said:
The car is 4 years old in June this year and is currently at 34k miles. Is it worthwhile changing this now or will it be ok to wait till next year?

I'd get it done next year...

Citroen DS3 DSport
I'm not sure if the Aux belt has ever been changed in the car and it's now not due a service till 44k miles (last serviced at 32k), how much is it to get this done on its own?

mk2 clio 172
Get it changed i made the mistake of not changing mine and ended up having to get a new engine when the cam belt snapped.

Citroen DS3 DSport
I'm probably best to change it now while I have the money available for it. I intend keeping the car for 2 to 3 years so I'll have to pay out sooner or later so it may as well be sooner.

Danny, how many miles had your car covered when your belt snapped? What year is your car?

Citroen DS3 DSport
I'm also running a 02 plate and I think you've convinced me to go get it done now as it'll give me peace of mind.

Clio 172 mk2
ive just had my belt changed and ive got a 51 plate that had done 47k, i think its best to be safe than sorry

No more clio's for me!
Just had whole lot done at 56k miles 350 quid! :(

Better to be safe than sorry, plus i had the cash.

BMW Z4 3.0i
If you abide by the Renault service intervals and have your car serviced at a Renault dealership. Surely you should be covered if your cam belt goes before 72k miles? Obviously you won't be under warranty as such by this point, but don't they have a duty of care or whatever?

GazCB said:
If you abide by the Renault service intervals and have your car serviced at a Renault dealership. Surely you should be covered if your cam belt goes before 72k miles? Obviously you won't be under warranty as such by this point, but don't they have a duty of care or whatever?
Renault Uk may offer a % donation but i wouldn't expect much.
60k is about cambelt time if you drive it hard IMO. If you have an extended warently leave it till 72k

BMW Z4 3.0i
My 3 year manufacturer's warranty runs out at5 the end of this month. I've got 42k miles on the clock with full renault servie history and had the accessories belt changed at 36k like you're supposed to.

Am I able to extend my warranty with Renault or does anyone else have a third party warranty company they recommend? Ball-park prices for my car?

My 51 plate 172 had 68,000 on the clock and I was still on the original belt!! I was going to leave it untill 72k, but sold the car before then!!

MRBILLYUK

ClioSport Club Member
  FF Jeden Osiem Dwa
dannyboy172 said:
Just had whole lot done at 56k miles 350 quid! :(

Better to be safe than sorry, plus i had the cash.

You had the cam belt and aux belt changed for £350 , pretty cheap i'd say .

Renault in Preston charge over £400 just for the cam belt .

MrBillyUK !

GazCB said:
Am I able to extend my warranty with Renault or does anyone else have a third party warranty company they recommend? Ball-park prices for my car?
I'd go with Renault prie depends how much extra milage you want and how long you can extend cover till 120k and 5 yrs

Citroen DS3 DSport
The aux belt has apparently not been done by the dealer before I collected the car so this will need done asap. Is it worthwhile having this done on its own for now or should I opt to have both done now? What cost am I looking at for the aux belt and air filter alone inc fitting?

I'd have both done why the did the cambelt and not the aux I don't know they should both be changed together plus you have to take the aux belt off to do the cambelt anyway.

Citroen DS3 DSport
Hi edde, they have not changed the cam belt but should have done the aux belt as i was told they had performed the 36k service for me collecting the car. The service department told me today that all they actually did was a prep service.

You'd recommend getting both done now even though the cambelt is 15 months away from the 5 year point?

Clio 172 mk2
I though aux belt was 5 years like the cambelt or 36k....whichever is sooner so it should be done if your car is at 36k.

Also worth considering is coolant/brake fluid change which is due every 4 years

RenaultSport clio 172 mk2
:approve: i just brought a 172 with 32k on the clock its just had its 36,000 service now after reading this wondering if i should get my cambelt done???:eek:

advice and oppions welcome! ha i dont wanna spend any more money i have just brought the car and need 4 new tyers in a few months and just paid all my inshurence!! so quite short on cash atm!!:rasp:

Citroen DS3 DSport
Did you pay for the 36k service or did the dealer have it done for you collecting the car? The dealer I bought from claimed to have done the 36k service but on checking with the service department the Aux belt was never changed. Basically they were happy to let me drive around for 12k miles with a belt which should have been changed :(

i asked told the dealer i wouldnt buy it untill it had had the service by renult! soo i donno mate pick it up this arfernoon!!:):)

RenaultSport clio 172
sneeks said:

Great thread because I have the same dillema :D

Citroen DS3 DSport
Ask them to confirm that they've changed the aux belt as it should have been done. :) Enjoy the car when you get it and post some pics on the forum. What colour and age have you bought?

Citroen DS3 DSport
ging71 said:
Great thread because I have the same dillema :D

Popular opinion seems to suggest I'd be better replacing both now rather than only the aux belt. If I do that then the new headunit will have to wait till another time.

RenaultSport clio 172
sneeks said:
Popular opinion seems to suggest I'd be better replacing both now rather than only the aux belt. If I do that then the new headunit will have to wait till another time.

Mines an 02 plate with 59k on the clock, I wont be able to afford to do it until summer, so im keeping my fingers crossed!

should u see vissable ware ??????:eek:

i will look in the book and ring the garage the place were i brough it from takes it to the renult to check over i will ring and ask the renult garage who serviced it tommorrow! allready have pics of the car!! :p but ill get some decent ones this week end when i have given it a propper clean!:rasp:

Citroen DS3 DSport
I think that's the very reason why I'll opt to do it all now as I know I have the money for it but possibly not if I wait till next year.

I had a look at my aux belt and it looked like new :D Prob more to my clueless nature regarding car mechanical issues.

i have quite a few macanics who are friends and i used to work for citroen so i shall look and ask them to but tbh it the cambelts gonna go it should show sings of waring and it hought there not ment to b changed till 60,000???

the phases dont fix whats not broken comes tomind but i work in IT now so my attitued towards car repairs has become rather relaxed!!!
:rasp:

E39 530i
Been told it's best to get the aux belt and cam belt done at the same time. mines on 47,300 getting a 48K service soon from mike at rentech

Just as a guide, i got a book from renault in the post the other day with extended warranty prices in, as they still think i have my old 1.2 clio which i got rid of last year.

Anyway, for the sport range, an extra years warranty is about £800 at my dealers!!! Dunno if thats everywhere, or just mine.

So i'd say it would cost you less to fix most things on the car yourself rather than pay that amount!

Yep, best get both done together as the aux belt has to come off to do the cambelt anyway.
Only get people who know how to do the 172 engine to work on it a cambelt chance if done wrongly or not with the Renault tooling can be disasterious.
The spec is here
http://www.cliosport.net/forum/showthread.php?t=107873
72k or 5 yrs its supposidly good for but say 60k or 4 years if you don't have a warently to fall back on.

hmm see my car was registerd in 2001...........
32,000 miles

when shall i look to get it done as i dont hve the cash right now???

i have a 3 month warrenty on the engin sooo i may just do it when my 3 months are up!???

Citroen DS3 DSport
I've booked it in for the cam & aux belts and it's also going to get the air filter and fuel filter replaced at the same time.

The mechanic I use has never changed the belt on a 172 but he has had experience on lots of high powered sports cars and he always takes his time and does a great job. It's gonna cost me between £250 and £300 for everything.

sneeks said:
I've booked it in for the cam & aux belts and it's also going to get the air filter and fuel filter replaced at the same time.

The mechanic I use has never changed the belt on a 172 but he has had experience on lots of high powered sports cars and he always takes his time and does a great job. It's gonna cost me between £250 and £300 for everything.
PM me your email address I'll send you the file on how it should be done you realy need to Renault tooling otherswise you'll make a mess typical Renault made its unusual to do.