ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Cam Belt connumdrum!

Skoda Fabia VRS
Hi all.

I have a quick question about Cam belts. I have been browsing the forum for a year or two but this is my first post!:eek:

My question is, how long have you left the cam belt before a change? I have read all the posts of when it should be done, and the recomendations for getting a garage in the know to do it.
(72000 or 5 years)

I can't afford it at the mo so it will have to wait!!!

Its currently on 62000 but its a W reg Mk1 making it 6 years old:eek:

I know this a dangerous thing to leave but I have just replaiced the Brake discs and pads.

Sorry this is a rubbish first post!!!

Brin

5 years no more had mine done last yr and belt was starting to fray with 48 on the clock................belt or engine who goes you decide!

You have to be able to afford it lol!

You really don't want to see what the bill would be for a new engine etc if it fails!

V6 Exige, GTR R35
i had mine done just before xmas and it was the same age as yours mate.

ended up costing £650 cos the tensioners were siezed, also needs new pulleys when its done to. its a fairly big job.

not sure of the condition of the belts when they came off but id advise to get it done just to be sure, its a lot of cash but like others say it will be cheaper than replacing the engine......

Skoda Fabia VRS
Thanks for the replies chaps...

Yep, I know it will cost a wee bit more if it goes bang. :dead:

I will have to get it sorted in a few months! I only do about 1k a month so fingers crossed it will be ok!

If not I will have some good pictures for the forum!

Clio Mk 1
I do my own cam belts, borrow a book from my mates garage and do it.
It's not what you know it's who you know. HeHe
New belt for mine is about £15.

Skoda Fabia VRS
Hmm, I think doing it myself is out of the question.
you practicaly have to take the engine out! I have neither the know how or the balls to do something like that!

Oyster Card
My first Clio was 10 years old on the original, with 95k on the clock.
Not that I'd recommend leaving it that long.

BG 182 FF
ok stupid question lol, but is a timing belt the same as a cam belt? please dnt start the sly remarks haha

R

rich[182]

Even if your cars out of warranty and you then have cambelt done, do you then get any cover from dealer should the cambelt go and blow your engine ?

eg If you'd paid £600+ at a dealer and then 3 months later it went, have you any comeback ?

ChrisR

ClioSport Club Member
rich172 said:
Even if your cars out of warranty and you then have cambelt done, do you then get any cover from dealer should the cambelt go and blow your engine ?

eg If you'd paid £600+ at a dealer and then 3 months later it went, have you any comeback ?

Well you'd get a years parts and labour warranty I'd have thought.

Leon Cupra R 225
Got mine done 2 weeks after i bought the car, done 53k, better to be safe than sorry.

Hate to tell you but it is the worst job in the world, well stripping it down to get the the belt that is!

My mate is a mechanic so it only cost me the price of the parts :eek:

Get it done asap, you wont need brakes if the engine aint running.

S2000
Deifnately get it done mate!!! I know it's tempting but I've heard of so many people who have risked it and been bitten. It isn't cheap on a 172, but as has been said it's cheaper than fixing the engine would be.

Skoda Fabia VRS
Looking into it now, Need to find funds, but I saw another post pointing to a garage in Burscough, ERS? which seemed to be the cheapest I have found so far.

Im in Liverpool, but Work in Warrington so I should be able to get to one of the places mantioned.

Thanks for the replies again.

Brin