ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Cam Belt Should I Get It Done

RenaultSport clio 172 CUP
My CUPS in for its 24k service tomorrow.

The car will be five years old next December with appox 36k on the clock.

Should I get the Cam belt done then or can I wait until 72k mark??

I think the cam belt needs done at 5 yrs or 72k, whichever is sooner. I'd just get it done if it's almost 5 yrs old. Can be very, very expensive if it goes - I was over £1000 for repairs when it went on a BMW before the specified time......

cock mobile.
I wouldn't bother, it's no where near the 72k mark!

But I guess if you are worried then get it done.

sh33n said:
I wouldn't bother, it's no where near the 72k mark!

But I guess if you are worried then get it done.

I will see what the funds are like next Decemeber and decide then.

I may wait until the the 48k service.

Surly the milage is the main factor not the age.

cock mobile.
Yer, I wouldn't bother until it's on at least 48k, if you had silly mods maybe worth changing it before, but if it's std leave it :)

Milage is the main factor but belts do weather and get worn whether you do any miles in it or not. Thus recommending you replace it after 72k or 5 years.

I'd get it done next December as I can't see you getting to 72k by then.

sh33n said:
Yer, I wouldn't bother until it's on at least 48k, if you had silly mods maybe worth changing it before, but if it's std leave it :)

No mods mate so I think I'll wait until 48k.

+ its was garaged before I bought it.

Cheers for the advise.

The belt has a lifespan of 5 years, if it's starting to perish it will cost upwards £1000+ when it goes wrong...

The choice is yours my friend.

Day said:
The belt has a lifespan of 5 years, if it's starting to perish it will cost upwards £1000+ when it goes wrong...

Is there any way of checking the belt to checks it's condition.

Scirocco GT 210
I changed my cambelt when it was 5 years old, car had only done 45k miles.

The belt was still in very good condition when it was removed. Choice is yours, but should be fine, your milage isn't high enough to cause concern.

Day said:

Is there any way you can check the condition of the belt.

Mondeo ST TDci
I was just going to ask this question myself! mine is just over 5yrs but only 37k. im trying to make my mind up. how much is it to have the cam belt and pullys done?

Mondeo ST TDci
ahh just got my quote of £575.32 from renault.
i would imagne that the 5yrs quoted will include a good safety factor, so a few months either way shouldn't hurt?

CTR--VX220D
AGE is the factor on a cam belt ... rubber deteriorates - cam belts can go at any time with no warning. Put your hands in your pocket ..... I certainly wont buy a car off someone who couldnt afford to have the cam belt done on time... what other things has he been putting off???????

tiTTy & SV650
get it done but not by renault, probably £250 or so from an independant garage, I paid £75 3 years ago to get my 205gti timing belt done, turned out it had been done already, its like an insurance policy, piece of mind.

Clio 172 mk2
CUPCRAZY said:
My CUPS in for its 24k service tomorrow.

The car will be five years old next December with appox 36k on the clock.

Should I get the Cam belt done then or can I wait until 72k mark??

I'm in the same boat...car will be five years old next October but is no where near 72k currently showing 17k on the clock.

Still going to bite on the bullet and get it done though as the belt may well have become perished/weaker over time.

Mondeo ST TDci
had a quote from my local mechanic of £350 and another £150 for full major service too. think im going to just give it to him and get them both done lol !

MERCEDES CLS AMG
get it done - if not tommorow sometime very soon. Make sure you also replace the alt belt and all the tensioners and pulleys.

Car SOLD :-(
Getting mine done a week on Monday, 01Y with only 36k under its wheels!
Expensive but aint going to risk it!