ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Cam-cover leaking or just a bolt?

172 ph2
Hi all!

Few weeks ago i found leaking bolt on camcover (see pic below) so today i finnaly got myself to fix it, got some degreaser, torque wrench and loctite sealant (glue for bolts)… hope i fixed id, will se tomorow when i'll go for a drive (it says on loctite bottle that the sealant should be fully dry after 12hrs)

oil-leak1-002.jpg

Well the reason i'm writing this is that i found some oil in one spark plug hole (see pic below). This is the closest hole of all 4 to the leaking bolt (you can see the leaking bolt on the bottom of picture, its just resealed and cleaned, so thats why there's no oil to see around it).

oil-leak2-007.jpg

So my question is, is this oil here because it somehow dripped from the leaking bolt, or i have a leaking cam cover (sealant)? Or anything totally different?

Car is 172 ph2, runs great, doesn't use oil (it uses a little but i don't need to top it up between regular oil changes).

Any help appreciated:)

Sorry for my crappy english:eek:

Megane dci 130
It wont be the cam cover gasket. Its the oil decanter gasket. (that bit that is raised and bolted to the camcover. All the 16v engines do it.

172 ph2
Really hope it isn't the camcover gasket, as i had aux&timing belts done few months ago, so for fixing it it would be another belts job i guess:S

Well when i had the belts done they also resealed oil breather (decanter) because it was leaking a little but nothing major as leaking bolt on first pic. Sealant can be seen on both pics in my first post - white stuff between breather and camcover. Should i try to retighten the bolts on oil breather first (13Nm according to Renault) before i take it back to useless Renault machanics:rasp:?

Any other opinion?

Nicolasticity

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172+MG+SAAB++
No gasket in the cam cover clean faces and renaults blue sealer is what stops the leaks

172 ph2
OK then:D So i shouldn't expect any "problems" with it?

Leaking bolt is also fixed i guess - after 100miles today there's no sign of oil anywhere:) I also cleaned greasy spark plug just to see if, and how long will it take for oil to get there.