ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Cam locking tool

Renaultsport Clio182
Aye so phoned ac renault at g mouth this morn, turns out theyr not allowed to sell this/order it in?

Renaultsport Clio182
Just told me no. Anyone know of any garages preferable near central Scotland that will order up?

​cheers

mk2ph1 rsi 106rallye
could try adam the main renault parts guy,wests renault or one of the other traders on here.

GSXR + KDX220
Not allowed to sell it?? Have you got the part numbers for them? They should do if you give them the number and say I want this......just as if it was a shock absorber or something!

Renaultsport Clio182
Thanks guys. Will order Monday. Was aiming to do timing belt but no wanting to chance the cams skipping a tooth. Costing a fortune between bearings, timing/aux belts n body shop. Thing is sweet tho!

Lionel Richie
Monday is bank holiday ;)

you need the crank pin, the horseshoe, the pulley locking tool and the extra cog - all that is knocking on for £180 i think

Cup In bits
Iirc I was only £65 for the Cam locking tool with extra cog from Adam. I can't see the horseshoe and crank pin being all that much more.

BMW M135i
Then you're aware of the fully floating setup and the necessity of all the timing tools then and the procedure involved then.

Cup In bits
Nah done plenty, first time on one o these though

'IF' the timing is right to begin with you can just about get away without the cam locking tool, if you need to re seal the cam cover its a needed for sure.

I was of the same impression as you to begin with, having done loads of different timing belts I thought I could get away without. Cam cover needed done so I was fucked. Even if you buy the tools they will have good resale value. One better is do another belt for someone which will pay for your belt and the tools minus some of your time.

Cup In bits
^nope, inlet and exhaust HAVE to be slackened even when replacing just the cambelt

I know. If your going by the book then its needed when you tension the belt. Like I said above you can just about get away with it 'IF' the timing is right to begin with. Being pikey it is more than possible with the horseshoe out, put it in after to check.

Lionel Richie
See i thought that so gave it a go without undoing the pullies (timing was **** on before starting) just the horseshoe, new belt on, tensioned up **** on, turned it over 5 times, locked it back up, timing was out and the tensioner was miles off

Renaultsport Clio182
Not sure if its me being niave, but can't see why you need to lock more than the cams at top and crank then change... Not touching the dephaser?

Ryan172

ClioSport Club Member
  Iceburg 172 ph2
To correctly tension the belt the pulleys which are fully floating need to be held firstly by a tool so you can slacken the nuts off without turning the camshafts while the "horseshoe" tool holds the camshafts then once the pulleys are spinning you can tension belt. Do it without the pulleys loose then your timing WILL be out.

Audi A6 & 172 Cup
I just bought a full set of timing tools from the dealers in Stirling, just up the road from you by the looks of it. Ask for Ryan when you get through to parts. Give them a call on Tuesday, only takes a day or two to get them in.
I bought a load of other stuff at the same time so not sure exactly how much they were but £180 would sound about right.

Renaultsport Clio182
I just bought a full set of timing tools from the dealers in Stirling, just up the road from you by the looks of it. Ask for Ryan when you get through to parts. Give them a call on Tuesday, only takes a day or two to get them in.
I bought a load of other stuff at the same time so not sure exactly how much they were but £180 would sound about right.

​You not selling once your done?

GSXR + KDX220
So do we have an actual current price on the tools yet?? £180 seems alot, I had some before about 2 years ago and it was nearer £140....have they gone up that much?!

mikekean

ClioSport Club Member
  996 C4S, 135i, E30x2
The Cup racer manual cambelt procedure does not specify slackening of the cam pulleys. I have all 3 of the Renault timing tools and timed my cup racer motor up as per Fred, the timing was correct as you would expect. But last night I did the cambelt on my 172 cup and decided to see if it could be done without slackening of the pulleys as per the Cup racer manual.

Locked the crank and cams off, replaced the belt and re-tensioned, marked the cam pulleys and removed the locking tools, rotated the motor 5-6 times clockwise. Refitted the crank locking pin, checked the marks I had made on the cam pulleys and they all line up, checked the tensioner marks still lined up, refitted the cam locking tool with a light tap from a rubber mallet. So everything still lined up and the belt was still correctly tensioned.

Whether I was just lucky i dont know but why does the racer manual not specify slackening of the pulleys? I think if the cam pulleys have not been touched since they car left the factory then there shouldnt be a reason to slacken the pulleys aslong as you are using a genuine belt.

Cup In bits
The Cup racer manual cambelt procedure does not specify slackening of the cam pulleys. I have all 3 of the Renault timing tools and timed my cup racer motor up as per Fred, the timing was correct as you would expect. But last night I did the cambelt on my 172 cup and decided to see if it could be done without slackening of the pulleys as per the Cup racer manual.

Locked the crank and cams off, replaced the belt and re-tensioned, marked the cam pulleys and removed the locking tools, rotated the motor 5-6 times clockwise. Refitted the crank locking pin, checked the marks I had made on the cam pulleys and they all line up, checked the tensioner marks still lined up, refitted the cam locking tool with a light tap from a rubber mallet. So everything still lined up and the belt was still correctly tensioned.

Whether I was just lucky i dont know but why does the racer manual not specify slackening of the pulleys? I think if the cam pulleys have not been touched since they car left the factory then there shouldnt be a reason to slacken the pulleys aslong as you are using a genuine belt.

I totally agree its only logical. If its only a belt you are doing and nothing else and everything was fine before it definitely will work as you have seen.

The Renault pdf going around also says you don't need to undo the cam pulleys to just do the belt. A Renault mech I know said he didn't undo the cam pulleys when changing the 1*2 belts.

I've done it this way with no problems.

GSXR + KDX220
Ok, got some current prices from Adam: all include VAT

crank pin - 0000105400 £15
Cam shaft locking tool - 0000149600 £54.60
Cam pulley tool - 0000150900 £57
Extra long cog for pulley tool - 0000150981 £24

Only 150900 is available quickly at the moment, the others are on back order so could take a little while to order in.