ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

cambelt!!! how much

rite my 16v just clicked ova 70k so tinkin of changin cambelt, had numerous quotes they all say get new tensioner etc so will do but most quotes at bout £450 how much every1 else pay??

thanks

you should be-able to get it done cheaper than that, they aint THAT difficult, the belts about £25, i think the tensioner is about £40 & renno only, the nice chaps at renno usually make you wait a few days for it !!! "sorry sir....not a stock part !! " was the excuse i got !

If your cambelt snaps in service (as happened to the previous owner of a car of mine), it will bend valves and generally cause havoc. £1500 or so in that case as the F7P 1764cc Clio 16V unit is a fairly advanced piece of kit - exhaust valves will set you back £200+ plus VAT alone!

VaVa

Quote: Originally posted by Ben H on 26 October 2003

If your cambelt snaps in service (as happened to the previous owner of a car of mine), it will bend valves and generally cause havoc. £1500 or so in that case as the F7P 1764cc Clio 16V unit is a fairly advanced piece of kit - exhaust valves will set you back £200+ plus VAT alone!
Ouch!!! ........£450 for a cambelt change is starting to look reasonable!!!

Daz.

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 200 RS EDC

My garage changes the timing belt for £160 all in THEN told me that the Tensioner pully might need changing at some point!

sh*ts they are!

Why didnt they ring me and tell me about it?!

Still £160 x 2 is cheaper than £450!

VaVa

I know its a different car, but Ive just had a new water pump and cambelt change on my 94 Astra and it cost £88. I appreciate the fact the clio may be more complicated, but £450!!??! Thats more like the price for a head gasket change!!!

Mr2 Roadster

I got the same sort of quotes on my RSi, thats why I havent done mine! Wouldnt cost much more to have the whole head done if it snapped!